Thread: One of my 8 week squirrel is badly shaking

Exclamation One of my 8 week squirrel is badly shaking

Hello I am a new squirrel care taker from Thailand. I have 2 squirrels both 8 weeks along but recently (2-3 days) they have been drinking very little milk. I just assumed that it was time to get them off milk so I didn’t worry much. However, this morning I fed them both orange slices and one of them started shaking very badly and puked everything he ate out. The other squirrel seems to be fine though and is still doing acrobatics in his cage. It has been about 5 hours since then and the shaking has decreased however the squirrel is drastically less active than before. Is it still moving but barely. I have read up on MCD and have bought smth called glucosamine sulfate in powder form since I was told this is calcium. However I do not actually know whether this is actually MCD or just an allergic reaction to oranges of some kind. I have put rodent blocks and water in their cage since week 5(they seem to be drinking the water but not eating the rodent blocks much). The shaking squirrel seems to be drinking lots of water though.

Please give me advice on what to do. How much calcium do I feed them/ how much water do I put, should I do a 1:1 ratio? Should I feed them both calcium or only the shaking one? I have also just put a rice buddy (rice in a sock that’s heated) and mashed up the rodent blocks and mixed it with peanut butter). I have no clue what I am doing and I need some guidance.

Default Re: One of my 8 week squirrel is badly shaking

Glucosamine Sulfate is NOT calcium and will not help if this is MBD. You need calcium carbonate or calcium gluconate powder. You can make your own calcium powder from egg shells. Here’s the link to tell you how to do this. https://www.peteandgerrys.com/blog/d...calcium-powder

I would not give the glucosamine to them. Here’s the link to MBD treatment. https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...-MBD-Treatment

And a calcium source chart. https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...um-Supplements

What are you feeding for formula? Here’s the recipe for goats milk formula. https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...ilk-Formula***

I’m honestly not sure what may be going on with your little one. Did it recently aspirate on the formula where the formula came out of its nose? Are you providing other foods? Which ones?

Are you offering water in between feedings? Dehydration causes them to not want to eat. You can sweeten the water with a little honey to encourage them to drink it.

3. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

Buddy (04-13-2021), Nancy in New York (04-13-2021), Rock Monkey (04-13-2021)

Default Re: One of my 8 week squirrel is badly shaking

It is unlikely that an 8-wk old squirrel would develop MBD. First, I would be sure that the squirrel is well hydrated. He puked, therefore it's likely he needs fluids and will perk up if he gets them. Try very warm water with a drop of honey, or you can make the following homemade Pedialyte:

2 cups very warm water
    1.5 tablespoons sugar
    ,5 teaspoons salt
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

5. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to island rehabber:

Buddy (04-13-2021), Mel1959 (04-13-2021), TubeDriver (04-13-2021)