Thread: Squirrel back legs not moving

Angry Squirrel back legs not moving

I found my dog with a small squirrel in his mouth. It was still alive and he dropped it on the ground but it couldn’t run because it’s back legs were limp. I have it in a blanket in a box. Should I give it something like prednisone for swelling to see if his legs will start to work again? I’m looking for a wildlife rehabber but haven’t found one in my area yet.

Default Re: Squirrel back legs not moving

Quote Originally Posted by Betht98 View Post
    I found my dog with a small squirrel in his mouth. It was still alive and he dropped it on the ground but it couldn’t run because it’s back legs were limp. I have it in a blanket in a box. Should I give it something like prednisone for swelling to see if his legs will start to work again? I’m looking for a wildlife rehabber but haven’t found one in my area yet.
    How old is the baby?
    Pred is an excellent choice for this type injury.
    We need milligrams of pred and weight on baby to dose.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

Angry Re: Squirrel back legs not moving

Quote Originally Posted by stepnstone View Post
    How old is the baby?
    Pred is an excellent choice for this type injury.
    We need milligrams of pred and weight on baby to dose.
    I’m not sure. I’m afraid to move it because it gets very upset when I come near it and I don’t want to actually make the injury worse. It’s seeping very soundly right now but I can try to gee a weight on it in the morning and let you know. Should I try water with a medicine syringe as well?

Quote Originally Posted by Betht98 View Post
    I’m not sure. I’m afraid to move it because it gets very upset when I come near it and I don’t want to actually make the injury worse. It’s seeping very soundly right now but I can try to gee a weight on it in the morning and let you know. Should I try water with a medicine syringe as well?
    Can you try to post a picture so we can see what age this squirrel is around?
    Baby, juvenile. injuried adult?
    Can't dose without an approximate weight and you'll need to find a way to handle
    it to dose. You can try to see if it will take water.
    The sooner pred can be given the better chance of recovery if possible.
    Dark, warm, quiet is the rule of thumb....
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

5. Serious fuzzy thank you's to stepnstone from:

Mel1959 (04-11-2021)

Have you found a rehabber? Reach out to a member who is licensed in your state. If he can’t help he may know someone who can. Some rehabbers will automatically euthanize because of this injury, but we have seen remarkable improvements when treated with prednisone ASAP.

I will send the members contact info in a private message. Private messages are accessed from the top of the screen under “notifications”.

Edit: PM sent for Javarat contact info.

If you weight a box or container and then get the squirrel in the container you can then get the weight of the container and the squirrel and thus be able to administer the proper dose of prednisone. That way you don't have to handle the ornery squirrel directly, but do where gloves and long sleeves.