Thread: New Member Here!

Post New Member Here!

Hi Everyone! I've been here for about two weeks now. I am just now getting the hang of this forum I am 28 years old and have worked with animals most of my life. I have cared for animals from snakes to ducks to frogs to squirrels and even monkeys. My husband helps me out so much and loves animals as much as I do! I'm so grateful for him! I currently have two Eastern grey squirrel babies that are about 5 weeks old. Their names are Earl and Pearl (The Squirrel) I have had them since they were about a week old when their nest fell out of a tree. We tried to reunite with Mom but to no avail I weigh them about every 4 days or so and they are doing wonderfully! I plan on releasing them on our farm when they are old enough.

Also, I just received two more yesterday that I believe are 7 weeks old. But they are SKINNY. A woman messaged me about them. She said she was sitting outside in her chair when one of them started climbing up her leg. About 10 mins later, another one showed up. I gave her instructions on how to reunite with Mom, but Mom never showed. She didn't have a car so I went by and picked them up. I weighed them last night. The male is 115 grams and the female is 84 grams. They eat REALLY well and seem energetic which is a great sign. I've never had squirrels that were skinny like this. I currently feed them 6% body weight with Esbilac Puppy Powder Formula (with the Made in USA stamp with an expiration after 10/21). I found Fox Valley Ultraboost Weight Gain. Should I get this? If I do, can I mix it with Esbilac? Or should I just feed them with the ultraboost. If I put ultraboost in the Esbilac, how much do I do? They are very interested in the Hi-Protein Squirrel Blocks from Henrys which is great. We named these Merle and Twirl. Oh, and 1 more thing. I already plan on keeping the new guys in quarantine until I make sure that they are 100% healthy, but what are your thoughts on pairing them together with my other two? I've seen a few forums in here of people recommending it, just verifying to make sure. I am posting photos of the underweight babies Merle and Twirl for reference.

I'm constantly on here learning so much more than I did. There are always new things to learn! I appreciate this page SO MUCH and I am excited to meet everyone!
    Attached Images Attached Images   

2. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Kaitlinrose101 from:

Buddy (04-13-2021)

Default Re: New Member Here!

Congratulations on two new additions to your squirrel family. I think that your guys can probably go in together once the quarantine is over. Please monitor for any aggression. How long are you quarantining?

I personally add Ultraboost to all of my formula. You can add it to Esbilac at a ratio of 25% Ultraboost to 75% Esbilac or up it to a 50/50% ratio. I also always add a dollop of full fat vanilla yogurt to my formula....it’s just my personal preference. The Ultraboost provides additional calories and some nutrients. I like to have my little ones as fat as possible before I move them to the release cage because it never seems like they eat as well once they’re out there.

4. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

Kaitlinrose101 (04-13-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    Congratulations on two new additions to your squirrel family. I think that your guys can probably go in together once the quarantine is over. Please monitor for any aggression. How long are you quarantining?

I personally add Ultraboost to all of my formula. You can add it to Esbilac at a ratio of 25% Ultraboost to 75% Esbilac or up it to a 50/50% ratio. I also always add a dollop of full fat vanilla yogurt to my formula....it’s just my personal preference. The Ultraboost provides additional calories and some nutrients. I like to have my little ones as fat as possible before I move them to the release cage because it never seems like they eat as well once they’re out there.
    I am kind of playing it by ear with how long I will quarantine. I guess until I feel like they look healthy enough? Maybe a week? Maybe two? Thank you for the advice on the ultraboost! I really appreciate it!

Welcome to the board! Thanks for helping those little fuzz balls!
    Animals are magical....Thank you everyone who tries to help them, save them tirelessly...

7. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Buddy from:

Kaitlinrose101 (04-14-2021)