Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Need baby squirrel advice please

Default Re: Need baby squirrel advice please

Quote Originally Posted by KellyC16 View Post
    I have wondered myself if the lump ad green poop are related. Her lump is still getting bigger. She is gaining weight, eating and playing with her brother. They both love the blocks from Henry's. Still doing the formula. When should I start introducing more solid foods? Hansel seems like he is not that interested in the formula much any more.
    Yes, I agree, the lump is getting bigger.

Regarding other solid foods, approximately how old are they now?

Hello,

Her lump is not only getting bigger it is starting to get what looks like a blood bruise on the underneath side. She is still eating and drinking and playing with her brother. I cannot get a good picture of it she keeps moving too much.

Neither one of them wants to drink the formula any longer.

They are approximately, 11 weeks old now.

Hansel continues to grow and get bigger at normal rate.

They both love the blocks from Henry's. Still doing the formula. When should I start introducing more solid foods? Hansel seems like he is not that interested in the formula much any more.
    Well, given that they are 11 weeks old it is natural for them to loose interest in the formula at this time. So you can start reducing the amount of formula given. Almost sounds like Hansel is totally done with it. He is much bigger and more developed than Gretel so it would seem natural that he would tire of the formula first.

The link below is a good list of foods. Pay particular attention to the items that are listed as things to be "avoided". They do like the taste of some things that ultimately aren't good for them, particularly given that they are captive and are not able to roam their environment and find foods to balance out their diet needs. The block provides most of these critical diet items: vitamins, minerals, etc. in proper proportion.

https://www.henryspets.com/healthy-d...pet-squirrels/

4. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Rock Monkey:

Buddy (05-06-2021), LilMarty (05-05-2021)

If this is an abscess, different bacteria produce puss of different colors. The colors of Trueperella (green), Pseudomonas (blue-green) suggest they may be the culprits causing an abscess in response to some sort of wound.

Both conditions (the greenish poop and the lump) have always been present since Gretel was taken in. This may be the tie that connects the two symptoms.

Gretel was given a round of Amox-Clav weeks ago.

Or maybe the lump contains some sort of parasites. Gretel battled diarrhea early on in her care.

Hopefully somebody else has seen these two co-existent conditions before will have better insight.

6. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Rock Monkey from:

Buddy (05-06-2021)

Hello,

I was able to get a decent picture of Gretel's lump, I hope everyone can see it clearly.

She is still active and eating well, playing and loves to sit on our shoulders.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

8. Serious fuzzy thank you's to KellyC16 from:

Buddy (05-06-2021)

Hello,

I was able to get a decent picture of Gretel's lump, I hope everyone can see it clearly.
    She is still active and eating well, playing and loves to sit on our shoulders.
    It looks like an abscess about to come to a head, definitely needs to drain.
    You may be able to help it by holding warm compresses to it.
    Personally I would have lanced it....
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

10. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to stepnstone:

Chirps (05-06-2021), Rock Monkey (05-07-2021)

Poor thing...

Yes, warm compress sounds like it might help and as it gets warm/soft, you might be able to pop it and drain?
    Animals are magical....Thank you everyone who tries to help them, save them tirelessly...

12. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Buddy from:

Chirps (05-06-2021)

Hello All, Happy Saturday!!

An update and Gretel. When I got home from work yesterday the lump had popped. Definately and abcess. It looked like puss from a pimple. It is completely cleaned out, she still has a little hole where it drained itself. What should I clean it with? Should I do another round of antibiotics since it has popped?

Kelly

14. Serious fuzzy thank you's to KellyC16 from:

Buddy (05-08-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by stepnstone View Post
    It looks like an abscess about to come to a head, definitely needs to drain.
    You may be able to help it by holding warm compresses to it.
    Personally I would have lanced it....

Hello StepnStone,

Thank you so much for your input. I appreciate it.

I was not sure what it was to be able to lance it. I am glad that it is empty and she can start the healing process.

16. Serious fuzzy thank you's to KellyC16 from:

stepnstone (05-08-2021)

What should I clean it with?
    You can try putting betadine on it. Dilute about 25 drops of betadine in 1/4 -1/2 cup of warm water and apply it to the area a couple of times a day. No need to rinse it just let it air dry. It doesn’t dry with any residue. Betadine is anti-fungal and anti-bacterial.
    Animals are magical....Thank you everyone who tries to help them, save them tirelessly...

18. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Buddy from:

Rock Monkey (05-08-2021)

Hello All, Happy Saturday!!

An update and Gretel. When I got home from work yesterday the lump had popped. Definately and abcess. It looked like puss from a pimple. It is completely cleaned out, she still has a little hole where it drained itself. What should I clean it with? Should I do another round of antibiotics since it has popped?
    Kelly
    I would keep the area clean with a diluted benadine solution and try to keep the hole open for awhile.
    Unless you could get inside it and keep flushing it out I doubt it has completely cleared out.
    In the wild abscesses like that burst, the squirrel just keeps on getting up, it dries up.
    You want to see the area drying up, if you see any moisture building around it or it appears to be filling
    back up then I'd consider another round of ab's.

Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

20. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to stepnstone:

Buddy (05-08-2021), Rock Monkey (05-09-2021)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123