Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need baby squirrel advice please

Default Need baby squirrel advice please

I just registered. I am new here.

My husband found 2 baby squirrels two weeks ago. It is a boy and girl, they are brother and sister. Their eyes were not open when he found them. This is the fist time that we have had 2 squirrels and this young. We have helped squirrels in the past and were able to release back into the wild.
    I read up on what the best milk replacement is to give them and how to care for squirrels this young. We have been giving them Esbilac with probiotics and feeding with a dropper. We keep them in a box with lots of nesting material and make sure there is a heating pad underneath 1/2 of the box to keep them warm. I make sure they are warm before they eat and the mil replacement is warm. They have been eating good. They finally opened their eyes last week. The male (Hansel) seems to be gaining weight and doing well. His sister (gretel) is active but does not seem to be gaining weight or growing, she eats well. I noticed when I went to feed them this evening that her little rear end had what looked like dried mucus greenish color feces stuck on her and looked to still be attached to inside of her rear end. Up until this point she has had normal bowel movements and urination. I got a paper towel wet with warm water and gently removed the feces, her rear stayed open and is really red, it did not have any smell. I did some reading it said it could be dehydration, over feeding, the mixture of powder milk replacement might not be mixed correctly. I have a scale and weighed them, I am not sure i weighed them correctly, it showed she weighed .43 ounces and he is 4.32 ounces. What can I do to help her? I really want her to get better and grow. I am scared she might not make it having these issues being so small and young.

2. Serious fuzzy thank you's to KellyC16 from:

Rock Monkey (04-02-2021)

Default Re: Need baby squirrel advice please

Here is a 6 page long primer on baby squirrel care. I suggest you read this then ask any question that you might still have.
    https://www.henryspets.com/1-baby-squirrel-care-guide/

Please, please, please stop feeding with a dropper. Ask the local pharmacy for some syringes without needles... tell them you are feeding a neonate kitten to make it simpler (everyone loves kittens, not everyone loves squirrels).

Are you using the powdered Esbilac?

If yes, are you mixing it up hours ahead of time, keeping mixed formula in the fridge and not reusing formula that was heated for feeding but not used?

The scale should have a button that will allow you to change from weighing in pounds and ounces to weighing in grams. She will have to weigh more than 0.43ouces. His weight does not seem too off.. can you post pictures of these babies? Posting pictures of her poop would help too (yeah, kind of gross but can be very valuable to helping figure things out).

4. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Spanky:

Buddy (04-01-2021), Chirps (04-01-2021)

The scale is a very important, basic measure of a young squirrel's health and progress. The numbers don't make any sense unless there is a decimal place error in her weight. If the readings are consistent over multiple weighing, something is wrong with the scale. If you are having difficulty getting them to stay on the scale you can weigh an empty box and then put each one in the box. You will then get the weight for the squirrel and the box, just subtract the weight of the box.

Digital food scales are pretty cheap. You should be able to get one for less than $20 at Walmart or some place similar.

The scale is also used to determine the proper amount of formula to give each squirrel.

How much are you feeding them at each sitting? How many times a day are you feeding them?

Can you post a picture of each of them? It will help members to assess their health.

Can you also post a picture of the Esbilac.

Are there any foreign object that she might have chewed on?

(Apparently Spanky and I were typing at the same time.)

6. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Rock Monkey from:

Buddy (04-01-2021)

1 cc = 1 ml

1 cc of water weighs approximately 1 gram.

1 ounce = 28.34 grams.

(Squirrel's weight in ounces) x 28.34 grams/ounce = Squirrel's Weight in Grams

Baby Squirrels are fed between 5-7% of their body weight at each feeding, depending on their appetite, but too much can cause diarrhea.

5% of body weight = Squirrel's Weight in Grams x .05 = ml of formula.
    6% of body weight = Squirrel's Weight in Grams x .06 = ml of formula.
    7% of body weight = Squirrel's Weight in Grams x .07 = ml of formula.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLjR...relsandmorellc

This video covers a lot of the do's and don't's of feeding baby squirrels. Lots of great information. Especially useful for those that learn best by seeing things done.

9. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Rock Monkey from:

Buddy (04-01-2021)

Thank you for your advice. I will read what you sent.

Yes I am still using the powdered esbilac. I have not bee mixing it a head of time. Should I be? If so how many hours before use should I mix? Yes I am storing it in the fridge.

I will go to walgreens tomorrow and get some syringes.

The scale does have a button to change from ounces to grams. I made a log on an excel spread sheet to keep track of the days and their weight.

Great idea bout the scale. I will get a box to put them in to weight them.

There have been nor foreign objects that she could have chewed on or eaten. They are still really wobbly when they try to stand but can climb up me really well.

I am currently feeding them 3 times a day. Should it more or less? There is no measurement on the dropper, but it is 1/2 a dropper 4 times, if that makes sense.

I have pictures from the first day we brought them home and a few here and there I do not take pictures everyday. Thinking about that now it might help also gauge how they are growing. I will get them downloaded off of my phone and uploaded on here for you. I will try and get a picture of her poop and rear end. To me it is part of being a parent.

11. Serious fuzzy thank you's to KellyC16 from:

Rock Monkey (04-01-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by KellyC16 View Post
    I am currently feeding them 3 times a day. Should it more or less? There is no measurement on the dropper, but it is 1/2 a dropper 4 times, if that makes sense.
    They open their eyes at 5 weeks old. At 5 weeks old they should be being feed every 4 hours or so. And rodent block (you can buy Henry's from the link above) should be introduced at 5 weeks of age. No other solids until they are eating the block well, then start introducing vegetables. The link to the the healthy diet is below.

Squirrels being fed formula 3X a day should be about 180grams give or take and about 8 weeks old (eating solids); at 8 weeks they curl their tail up over their heads like an adult squirrel would do.

Of course there are different size droppers, so that does not make much sense but sounds like too little (maybe way too little) to me...

https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...-Pet-Squirrels

Edit: Here is a cheat sheet for proper feeding amounts:

SquirrelBoard Feeding CheatSheet.pdf

13. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Spanky:

KellyC16 (04-01-2021), Mel1959 (04-01-2021)

Thank you both so much.

I hope these pictures come through, and make sense. I could not get a picture of her poop but could of the rear end. it is red and swollen looking. The ones of them together on a red blanket is tonight. I hope it shows their size difference. I will try and get better pictures of them tomorrow. And a picture of her poop. The picture of Gretel sleeping is from last night. The one of Hansel his eyes are open is tonight.
    Attached Images Attached Images       

15. Serious fuzzy thank you's to KellyC16 from:

Rock Monkey (04-01-2021)

The dropper I am using is .03 fl oz dropper.

17. Serious fuzzy thank you's to KellyC16 from:

Rock Monkey (04-02-2021)

Yes, I see a difference in the two. I can see why you are worrying.

Did you get a chance to reweigh them using a box? Because if they are only partially on the scale the reading won't be accurate.

Please take a picture of the Esbilac.

What is the expiration date on the product?

They are both super cute & sweet!

Please follow the advice of the experts here. Hopefully the little girl will get strong very quickly!

And thank you for helping them!
    Animals are magical....Thank you everyone who tries to help them, save them tirelessly...

In case they are deemed to be needed, do you have any antibiotics on hand? This includes the human variety, one or tow pills would be likely all that are needed.

So what color is her poop?

stoolproblemssquirrels.pdf

I would suggest reading this over when you can. You are the best observer that knows her the best at the moment. It's good to know what is normal and what is not.

Please get them out of the cardboard box. A plastic bin is more appropriate. Card board can contribute to dehydration. Being (chronically) dehydrated interferes with digestion of food and leads to malnutrition.

I believe the little one is dehydrated, aside from being small her fur looks "spikey". I recommend giving her some additional water in between feedings for a while.

I suspect she is being underfed making things that much more difficult for her.

If in fact you are feeding 1/2 of a dropper X 3, and that dropper is 0.03oz, that would be 0.9ml X 1/2 = 0.45, fed 3 times is 1.5ml to babies that should be getting fed somewhere between 5ml and 10ml (depending on their actual weight), every 4 hours (not 3X a day).

I cannot emphasize enough how critical it is to know their weights and feed 5% - 7% per feeding. And using a syringe and not a dropper.

The formula should be mixed up ahead of time using very hot water. 2 parts water to 1 part powder like the directions, mix / shake it up very, very well. Let it set a while (15 - 30 minutes) and mix is some more... then put it in the fridge and let it sit for a few hours... 4 is good, 6 is better, overnight is best before feeding to help it more fully dissolve.

24. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Spanky:

Buddy (04-02-2021), Mel1959 (04-02-2021), Rock Monkey (04-01-2021), stepnstone (04-02-2021)

You are using the POWDERED puppy Esbilac with the picture of the white puppy on the label? The expiration date is 10/22 or later?

As Spanky said, if the little girl is dehydrated she won’t eat well and cannot process the formula well. Offer water BETWEEN her regular feedings. And get a syringe!

26. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

Buddy (04-02-2021), Rock Monkey (04-02-2021)

All,

so sorry I have not been on here in a couple of days. I had a family issue.

I did get a syringe to feed with.

I did get them weighed, with a box. She weighs 69 grams and he weighs 100 grams.

I have been measuring their food using the chart that you sent me, based on their weight.

Yes using the esbilac with the white puppy on the front.

We have been giving her water.

I have been mixing the formula a head of time. Making sure it is mixed well and stirring it before giving it to them. Doing 2 parts water and 1 part formula.

The expiration date on the container is 7-12-22.

We do have antibiotics on hand ( human kind) Amox-Clav but they are 500 mg each pill.

Her poop is a greenish color. That has been getting better.

I hope I got to everyone's questions.

28. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to KellyC16:

Buddy (04-05-2021), Mel1959 (04-05-2021), Rock Monkey (04-07-2021)

I did get a plastic tote for them and cut holes in the lid. He (Hansel) really likes it. he runs around a lot.

30. Serious fuzzy thank you's to KellyC16 from:

Buddy (04-05-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by KellyC16 View Post
    We do have antibiotics on hand ( human kind) Amox-Clav but they are 500 mg each pill.

This is a good antibiotic to have on hand, the milligrams are not a problem.
    If ever needed we can instruct you on how to breakdown/dilute and dose
    according to baby's body weight.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

32. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to stepnstone:

Buddy (04-06-2021), Spanky (04-05-2021)

I am glad to hear that Hansel and Gretel are both doing better.

Regarding Gretel’s green poop, two possibilities come to my mind.

She may have giardia. On overgrowth of that endoparasite can result in diarrhea with mucus of a green tint and a strong, distinct, strong odor. (Giardia is often found at lower levels in squirrels’ digestive tracts at lower levels which don’t result in problems.) The giardia overgrowth can be triggered by dehydration and stress, captivity and total environmental change, both being major stressors.

The endoparasite (giardia) remains present in the poop so it is important the poop be cleaned up daily. If possible it would be good if her poop could be cleaned up more often. The giardia is potentially transmissible to other liter mates.

Rehydration and adjustment to the new environment will help. If persistent, there are also medications such as fenbendazole, among others. Administrators can provide additional information along such lines, if needed.

The overgrowth of the giardia also results in slowed growth.

(For more information, see p. 4 of the document about Stool Problems with Squirrels that I provided previously in this thread.)

The second possibility is that the formula may have spoiled. Some forum members have reported mixing up formula and seeing green flecks in the mixture. Subsequently the squirrels get quite violently sick.

Is the Esbilac that you are using a recent purchase or leftover from care of previous squirrels?

Of the two possibilities mentioned above, the giardia seems more likely.

34. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Rock Monkey from:

Buddy (04-23-2021)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast