Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Need baby squirrel advice please

Default Re: Need baby squirrel advice please

Quote Originally Posted by KellyC16 View Post
    Her poop is a greenish color. That has been getting better.
    The simple and obvious explanation for this, foods can not process properly when dehydrated.
    The green you are seeing is bile, it is a yellow-green fluid that helps digest fats. When food is
    moving through the large intestine too quickly bile doesn't have time to break down completely.
    Diarrhea aids in dehydration, this is the importance of hydrating in between normal feedings to
    get the baby fully hydrated and stable.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

2. Serious fuzzy thank you's to stepnstone from:

Buddy (04-07-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by stepnstone View Post
    The simple and obvious explanation for this, foods can not process properly when dehydrated.
    The green you are seeing is bile, it is a yellow-green fluid that helps digest fats. When food is
    moving through the large intestine too quickly bile doesn't have time to break down completely.
    Diarrhea aids in dehydration, this is the importance of hydrating in between normal feedings to
    get the baby fully hydrated and stable.
    Hmm. If that is the source of the problem, how long would it take to resolve?

The gut microbiome (aka gut flora) can change within two to four days of eating right.
    Adding probiotics can help restore balance to the intestinal flora, powered Esbilac includes
    prebiotics and probiotics.

Last edited by stepnstone; 04-08-2021 at 12:39 AM.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

5. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to stepnstone:

Buddy (04-08-2021), Rock Monkey (04-09-2021)

Yes if you would please send me the instructions on how to dilute and give her the antibiotics that would be great!! Thank you!!

I have been hydrating between feedings daily. Should I stop the formula and just give her fluids? and does she need pedialite?

Yes esbilac is bought unopened from the local pet store. I keep it stored in the fridge.

Gretel has developed a lump on the left side of her neck. It does not seem to bother her or her movements. It is soft and squishy. I have tried not to push on it too much as i do not want to her her. What do I need to do? Will the antibiotics help with this?

I do clean their bed everyday. I make sure that the glass container i warm their milk in is clean, the syringe and nipple are clean.
    I have read all that you have sent me. I did read the that lump could be infection, warble. Which I do not think that she has, as she has been with us for weeks and is not outside. Her brother does not have any of this.

It would not be a warble (bot fly larva), since it is the wrong time of year.

If you could post pictures of the lump that would help a lot. Is her fur falling out around that area or is her skin pick or red? Also feel to see if the lump is warmer than the area around it...

8. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Spanky from:

Rock Monkey (04-09-2021)

Here are the pictures. It is kind of hard to get her to hold still. The lump is not hot to the touch and no hair falling out. I hope these pictures come through.
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Sending healing prayers for this little cutie pie!
    Animals are magical....Thank you everyone who tries to help them, save them tirelessly...

Hello Buddy. Thank you for the prayers!!

12. Serious fuzzy thank you's to KellyC16 from:

Buddy (04-09-2021)

I have sent the dosing instructions in a PM. You will need a 1ml (or smaller) syringe for dosing the medication.

I had a little boy earlier this spring that had a similar lump in the same area when he arrived.

In his case I worried it was a cat bite even though the finders assured me he was not bitten I did not want to take any chances. I gave him Augmentin and also started another after a few days. The lump never really went away though, but as Chipper grew that lump did get smaller and smaller and eventually all but went away, but it took many weeks. It never seemed to bother him. I am sharing this story just to let you know not to worry too much if it does not respond to the antibiotics.

But do keep an eye on it. Watch for the fur to fall out around it (that typically happens with infection) or if it becomes red or warm. And of course if it begins to bother her or cause her discomfort.

Have you started them on rodent block?

14. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Spanky:

Buddy (04-09-2021), Mel1959 (04-09-2021), Rock Monkey (04-09-2021)

Good morning all,

Happy Friday!!

Wanted to give an update on Hansel and Gretel. We have moved them to a metal cage. They love it. We have them a little house, and stuff for them to use for nesting. We have sticks they can climb on in there. Also have put in platforms that they can climb to and sit on ( they are plastic). They play a lot more and seem to really like it. I make sure they are still warm. I clean the cage tray daily.

They are doing good. Hansel is growing and his tail is getting fluffy. He is getting quite feisty. Still comes to me for feeding time.

Gretel is doing better. Her poop is still a bit green, it is more solid and getting larger in size. She has been eating the correct amount for her weight at every feeding. She is still smaller than Hansel. She has been gaining weight daily. She still has the lump on the side of her neck even after the round of antibiotics. It does not seem to bother her, she eats and plays.

Here are some pictures and their weights. I have a hard time getting photos except when they are eating.

Current weight this morning
    Hansel - 251 grams
    Gretel - 153 grams

16. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to KellyC16:

Buddy (04-23-2021), Rock Monkey (04-23-2021)

Sweeeet little babies!
    Yep, the only way to get good pix is when they are eating. My phone is loaded with blurry baby pix. At this age, it's slurping the syringe and later it will be when they are holding a treat.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

18. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to island rehabber:

Buddy (04-23-2021), Mel1959 (04-23-2021)

They are adorable!
    Animals are magical....Thank you everyone who tries to help them, save them tirelessly...

Good morning all,

Gretel is doing better. Her poop is still a bit green, it is more solid and getting larger in size.

Current weight this morning
    Hansel - 251 grams
    Gretel - 153 grams
    Gretel looks much better. I am concerned about the green poop, something isn't right. There is some issue that has not yet been addressed. Hopefully, we can get an Administrator to have a look at her case.

Gretel is doing better. Her poop is still a bit green, it is more solid and getting larger in size. She has been eating the correct amount for her weight at every feeding. She is still smaller than Hansel. She has been gaining weight daily. She still has the lump on the side of her neck even after the round of antibiotics. It does not seem to bother her, she eats and plays.
    Does that lump seem to be getting any smaller (or larger)?

Gretel is doing better. Her poop is still a bit green, it is more solid and getting larger in size.
    Will you post some more / better pictures of her poop? You can post some of it "squished / mashed", preferably on white tissue / paper towel, as well as how it looks before squishing. I know gross, but it should help us... we don't really have good pictures of the poop and it has been some time now.

And as if THAT is not GROSS enough, please do a double check on the odor....

22. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Spanky:

Buddy (04-28-2021), Chirps (04-23-2021), Mel1959 (04-23-2021), Rock Monkey (04-23-2021)

Hello All,

Good evening!

Gretel poop is not longer green. I will try and get a picture tonight, it is hard with both of them in the same cage.

The lump on her neck is getting bigger. She is not losing her hair there, she is eating what she is supposed to and plays. I am adding pictures of her neck. We did do the round of antibiotics. Please let me know if there are other angles you need to see her lump from.

They are both doing well. I have ordered them some blocks from Henry's Healthy pets. They should be here Friday.

I love to see their own personalities come out more.

They have their fights. Gretel is starting to stick up for her self more. Hansel does not try to dominate her so much.

24. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to KellyC16:

Buddy (04-28-2021), Rock Monkey (04-30-2021)

Hansel & Gretel

Good morning All,

Happy Friday!!

I was finally able to get a good sample of Gretel's poop. I hope the pictures are ok. If not please let me know.

27. Serious fuzzy thank you's to KellyC16 from:

Rock Monkey (04-30-2021)

Maybe it used to be even more green, but it still looks green to me.

It is possible that the still greenish color of the poop and the lump are related. There may be some organisms multiplying inside the lump. Occam's Razor suggests one cause, rather than two separate ones for these two phenomenon.

30. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Rock Monkey from:

Buddy (04-30-2021)

I have wondered myself if the lump ad green poop are related. Her lump is still getting bigger. She is gaining weight, eating and playing with her brother. They both love the blocks from Henry's. Still doing the formula. When should I start introducing more solid foods? Hansel seems like he is not that interested in the formula much any more.

32. Serious fuzzy thank you's to KellyC16 from:

Buddy (05-04-2021)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast