Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need baby squirrel advice please

Default Re: Need baby squirrel advice please

Quote Originally Posted by KellyC16 View Post
    Her poop is a greenish color. That has been getting better.
    The simple and obvious explanation for this, foods can not process properly when dehydrated.
    The green you are seeing is bile, it is a yellow-green fluid that helps digest fats. When food is
    moving through the large intestine too quickly bile doesn't have time to break down completely.
    Diarrhea aids in dehydration, this is the importance of hydrating in between normal feedings to
    get the baby fully hydrated and stable.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

2. Serious fuzzy thank you's to stepnstone from:

Buddy (04-07-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by stepnstone View Post
    The simple and obvious explanation for this, foods can not process properly when dehydrated.
    The green you are seeing is bile, it is a yellow-green fluid that helps digest fats. When food is
    moving through the large intestine too quickly bile doesn't have time to break down completely.
    Diarrhea aids in dehydration, this is the importance of hydrating in between normal feedings to
    get the baby fully hydrated and stable.
    Hmm. If that is the source of the problem, how long would it take to resolve?

The gut microbiome (aka gut flora) can change within two to four days of eating right.
    Adding probiotics can help restore balance to the intestinal flora, powered Esbilac includes
    prebiotics and probiotics.

Last edited by stepnstone; 04-08-2021 at 12:39 AM.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

5. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to stepnstone:

Buddy (04-08-2021), Rock Monkey (04-09-2021)

Yes if you would please send me the instructions on how to dilute and give her the antibiotics that would be great!! Thank you!!

I have been hydrating between feedings daily. Should I stop the formula and just give her fluids? and does she need pedialite?

Yes esbilac is bought unopened from the local pet store. I keep it stored in the fridge.

Gretel has developed a lump on the left side of her neck. It does not seem to bother her or her movements. It is soft and squishy. I have tried not to push on it too much as i do not want to her her. What do I need to do? Will the antibiotics help with this?

I do clean their bed everyday. I make sure that the glass container i warm their milk in is clean, the syringe and nipple are clean.
    I have read all that you have sent me. I did read the that lump could be infection, warble. Which I do not think that she has, as she has been with us for weeks and is not outside. Her brother does not have any of this.

It would not be a warble (bot fly larva), since it is the wrong time of year.

If you could post pictures of the lump that would help a lot. Is her fur falling out around that area or is her skin pick or red? Also feel to see if the lump is warmer than the area around it...

8. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Spanky from:

Rock Monkey (04-09-2021)

Here are the pictures. It is kind of hard to get her to hold still. The lump is not hot to the touch and no hair falling out. I hope these pictures come through.
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Sending healing prayers for this little cutie pie!
    Animals are magical....Thank you everyone who tries to help them, save them tirelessly...

Hello Buddy. Thank you for the prayers!!

12. Serious fuzzy thank you's to KellyC16 from:

Buddy (04-09-2021)

I have sent the dosing instructions in a PM. You will need a 1ml (or smaller) syringe for dosing the medication.

I had a little boy earlier this spring that had a similar lump in the same area when he arrived.

In his case I worried it was a cat bite even though the finders assured me he was not bitten I did not want to take any chances. I gave him Augmentin and also started another after a few days. The lump never really went away though, but as Chipper grew that lump did get smaller and smaller and eventually all but went away, but it took many weeks. It never seemed to bother him. I am sharing this story just to let you know not to worry too much if it does not respond to the antibiotics.

But do keep an eye on it. Watch for the fur to fall out around it (that typically happens with infection) or if it becomes red or warm. And of course if it begins to bother her or cause her discomfort.

Have you started them on rodent block?

14. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Spanky:

Buddy (04-09-2021), Mel1959 (04-09-2021), Rock Monkey (04-09-2021)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12