Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Squirrel With Possible Urine Scald?

Default Squirrel With Possible Urine Scald?

Good afternoon, TSB! Does anyone know if this is urine scald? My neuro squirrel, Jacob, first developed this rash on the inside of his left leg and the back of his scrotum on the left side, on January 5th. That is when the second picture you see here was taken. The black part you see on his leg in the second picture is his fur matted together. Jacob mostly sleeps on his left side, and urinates on himself when he sleeps. Sometimes when he gets up in the morning, or after a nap, his entire left leg is just soaked with urine. This rash is only on his left leg, and the back of his scrotum on the left. It is not anywhere else on his body. For these reasons I thought this was most likely urine scald.
    So, I started treating it with A and D ointment, and it cleared right up in 2 days. Since then, I have just been putting either A and D ointment, a different all natural baby ointment, or coconut oil on Jacob twice a day on all his exposed skin to keep his skin from drying out, and to create a barrier between his skin and the urine. Jacob got this same rash again, in the same places, earlier this month. So I just started putting the A and D ointment on the rash more often than twice a day. Again, it cleared right up in 2 days. And now, he’s got the same rash AGAIN, in the same places, but the A and D ointment is not clearing it up one bit this time. He’s now had this approximately a week. The first picture you see here was taken this morning.
    I read on here the best thing for urine scald is Silvadene. Someone also posted a link to where you can buy it without a prescription. So I ordered it, and it will be here Saturday. I am not putting any kind of ointment on the rash anymore because it seemed like it was actually just making it a little worse. I also read somewhere on here you can put Neo Pedef powder on it. I do already have that so I am putting that on the rash while I wait for the Silvadene to arrive. It maybe helps a little, but not much, though. I have tried finding pictures of what urine scald in squirrels looks like, but I cannot seem to find any. Could this possibly be something other than urine scald? I cannot find any pictures on the internet that look exactly like this rash Jacob has.
    I keep him as clean and dry as possible, and I keep his bedding as clean and dry as possible. I have been keeping the fur on his left leg trimmed really short, so it doesn’t get matted together and ball up anymore, like it is in the second picture. I do not keep Jacob in a cage. He likes to sleep under a blanket or a pillow on my bed, or on the floor beside my bed, if he’s feeling particularly independent. But underneath him are doggie whelping mats, or other materials, that are designed to quickly absorb liquid and keep the area dry. They do work pretty well. And when he urinates in his sleep, he scoots away from that spot onto a clean, dry spot. I just don’t think it wakes him up every single time he urinates in his sleep. And when he sleeps on his left side like he does, the urine still gets all over his left leg, and absorbs into his fur, before it gets absorbed into his doggie whelping mat, and away from his body.
    I know this has got to be so uncomfortable for my sweet little man, and it just breaks my heart that nothing is working for him. If this is urine scald, how often should I put the Silvadene on Jacob? Thank you for any help and advice anyone can give me.❤����
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Default Re: Squirrel With Possible Urine Scald?

A couple of things jump out at me...the first, stop using puppy pads. There have been instances where the chemicals inside the pads have caused problems for squirrels. Here is a link from the post. https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...as-Cage-Liners! If you need something absorbent for him to sleep on buy some bed pads for people and use them.

Second, this almost looks like it could be a yeast infection, similar to thrush. Whether it’s fungal or bacterial, get a bottle of betadine (generic is fine). Dilute about 25 drops in 1/4 cup of warm water. Use a cotton pad and apply it to the areas several times a day. There’s no need to rinse it, it will dry and not be sticky. Until your silvadene arrives don’t put anything else on it and see what it does. If it’s fungal, ointments like A&D can cause it to get worse because it traps the moisture in.

Poor baby. . Please keep us updated and we’ll recommend something else if you see no improvement in 24 hrs.

I also have a vet I can send the picture to and see if she has an idea of what it can be, if you like.

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

Buddy (03-31-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    A couple of things jump out at me...the first, stop using puppy pads. There have been instances where the chemicals inside the pads have caused problems for squirrels. Here is a link from the post. https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...as-Cage-Liners! If you need something absorbent for him to sleep on buy some bed pads for people and use them.

Second, this almost looks like it could be a yeast infection, similar to thrush. Whether it’s fungal or bacterial, get a bottle of betadine (generic is fine). Dilute about 25 drops in 1/4 cup of warm water. Use a cotton pad and apply it to the areas several times a day. There’s no need to rinse it, it will dry and not be sticky. Until your silvadene arrives don’t put anything else on it and see what it does. If it’s fungal, ointments like A&D can cause it to get worse because it traps the moisture in.

Poor baby. . Please keep us updated and we’ll recommend something else if you see no improvement in 24 hrs.

I also have a vet I can send the picture to and see if she has an idea of what it can be, if you like.
    I read the link you posted about the pee pads, and oh my gosh! That is such a heartbreaking story! I had no idea those things were so harmful. This is life saving information to have, and I know we can never be too careful about having such precious, delicate little lives in our hands, such as squirrels.
    That being said, after reading the link you posted, I am a little confused. It is my understanding that the post is referring to those disposable pads that come with a whole bunch of them in a package, you just use one time, then discard. For lack of better words that come to mind, at this moment, to describe them, but the “pad” side (the side you lay on) looks like it’s made of a cotton type material, kind of like diapers and feminine hygiene products are made of, correct? If so, that’s not what I’m using for Jacob to sleep on. I would describe these as more of a mat than a pad. These came four in a pack, but you can also purchase them individually. They have a quilted top made of 100% brushed polyester, a polyester/rayon middle, a non slip PVC bottom, and they don’t have any chemicals in them. They are also reusable, and machine washable. The washing instructions say they can go in the dryer, too, but I just hang mine over the shower rod to dry. I just don’t want to take the chance of the PVC bottom accidentally melting. They dry pretty quickly hanging over the shower rod, as they are almost completely dry, anyway, when they come straight out of the washing machine. Yes, I do have to wash them a lot, instead of just throwing them away. But after reading that post, it sounds like the disposable ones are really, really bad for squirrels.
    A yeast infection?? If it is, I wonder how in the world Jacob would have gotten a yeast infection?! Yes, that would be awesome if you could send these pictures to your vet to see what she thinks, if it’s not too much to ask. I do have an awesome exotic vet that I take Jacob to, and his care is the most important thing to me. But if this is something I can treat at home, I need to do that, at this point, because Jacob had to have surgery in late February to have part of a toe amputated due to his right back foot getting caught in the carpet. My vet was gracious enough to allow me to make payments on that surgery, and I am still trying to pay that off. So, thank you so much for offering to send Jacob’s pictures to your vet. I really appreciate it. Poor Jacob just can’t catch a break, it seems lately.
    I don’t have any Betadine here at home. But my boyfriend is going to pick some up on his way home from work. He won’t get home until around 6pm, so I won’t be able to try the Betadine on Jacob’s owies until he gets home. In the meantime, I gently cleaned him up again, and dried him off as best I could before he went to bed, but I didn’t put anything at all on him. Jacob’s poor skin on his left leg and groin area is so red, raw and irritated. Now that you mention it, it does seem like the A&D ointment was tapping moisture, definitely making it worse. Thank you so much for your response. I really, really appreciate it!😁
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Yes, those puppy pads should be fine. I have sent the picture to my vets office. I will post when she responds.

In the meantime what antibiotics do you have on hand? This could be a staph infection that will require treatment with antibiotics.

6. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

Bella's Mom (04-02-2021), Buddy (04-04-2021)

Silvadene works miracles on urine scald. Keep it on and replenish as often as possible. You'll see results within 24 hrs, usually. I have seen urine scald like this -- so bad it looks like squirrel pox! But it can be treated very effectively.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

8. 5 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to island rehabber:

Bella's Mom (04-02-2021), Buddy (04-04-2021), Chirps (04-03-2021), Mel1959 (04-01-2021), stepnstone (04-02-2021)

Yes, those puppy pads should be fine. I have sent the picture to my vets office. I will post when she responds.

In the meantime what antibiotics do you have on hand? This could be a staph infection that will require treatment with antibiotics.

Betadyne wipe down's will kick staph's butt. When I first moved to Maine all those years ago, I lived for a while with a dear friend and her husband who were, to my great surprise and horror, absolute...I want to say pigs but that isn't fair... Just nuts. I woke very early one morning from what I thought was a dream with this odd, swishing noise next to me. It wasn't a dream. It was a good sized rat, on the pillow next to my head, trying to jump from the pillow to the windowsill above and not making it and landing back on the pillow. The swish was it's little nails on the pillowcase. So yeah, nice place. I also got a raging case of staph all over my legs there, and the doctor prescribed me Betadyne wipedowns for it. It worked like magic and is another reason I am povidone iodine's biggest booster!

10. 6 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to CritterMom:

Bella's Mom (04-02-2021), Buddy (04-04-2021), Chirps (04-03-2021), Mel1959 (04-01-2021), stepnstone (04-02-2021), SugarMom (04-05-2021)

OMG! I’d have heart failure! I REALLY don’t like rats. My daughter can’t understand how I can adore squirrels and dislike rats so much. I don’t know, but to me a squirrel is NOT a rat with a fluffy tail and a better suit.

12. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

Bella's Mom (04-02-2021)

OMG! I’d have heart failure! I REALLY don’t like rats. My daughter can’t understand how I can adore squirrels and dislike rats so much. I don’t know, but to me a squirrel is NOT a rat with a fluffy tail and a better suit.
    I SO agree, my husband said I should just get a rat to replace the empty hole I got when my squirrel wilded up on on us. I see absolutely no similarity between the two and I even pet sat a couple of rats, I just couldn't get used to them at all.

Quote Originally Posted by sundoesshine View Post
    I SO agree, my husband said I should just get a rat to replace the empty hole I got when my squirrel wilded up on on us. I see absolutely no similarity between the two and I even pet sat a couple of rats, I just couldn't get used to them at all.
    If you raise them from when they are little they are quite mellow. They don't have a squirrel's crazy energy. My experience is with lab rats. I think genetically they are a little different from what one finds in the wild.

Oh, thank you so much for sending the pictures to your vet's office. I really appreciate it! I do have Baytril so I can start treatment with antibiotics if need be. I have been using the Betadine and water solution you recommended since 6pm last night (Thursday night). So it's been over 24 hours now, and there is no change in the appearance of Jacob's owies. They haven't gotten any better, but thankfully, they haven't gotten any worse, either. The Silvadene is arriving sometime tomorrow (Saturday), so I will just keep using the Betadine and water solution on him until the Silvadene gets here, if you think I should keep trying it. Thank you, again, for your responses, and for sending the pictures to your vet!❤

Quote Originally Posted by island rehabber View Post
    Silvadene works miracles on urine scald. Keep it on and replenish as often as possible. You'll see results within 24 hrs, usually. I have seen urine scald like this -- so bad it looks like squirrel pox! But it can be treated very effectively.
    Yes! That's exactly what I was thinking the owies kind of looked like, is squirrel pox! When I was searching the internet for pictures that even came close to looking like Jacobs's owies, squirrel pox is the closest thing I saw that looked similar. But he only has those owies on his left leg, and underneath the left side of his scrotum, which is the area that gets peed on all the time. Which is why I suspected it might be urine scald.

The Silvadene is arriving sometime tomorrow (Saturday). When it gets here, I will definitely put it on him, and keep it on him as often as possible. Thankfully, I work from home so I am here with Jacob all day and all night. Thank you so much for your response. I really appreciate it!❤

Quote Originally Posted by CritterMom View Post
    Betadyne wipe down's will kick staph's butt. When I first moved to Maine all those years ago, I lived for a while with a dear friend and her husband who were, to my great surprise and horror, absolute...I want to say pigs but that isn't fair... Just nuts. I woke very early one morning from what I thought was a dream with this odd, swishing noise next to me. It wasn't a dream. It was a good sized rat, on the pillow next to my head, trying to jump from the pillow to the windowsill above and not making it and landing back on the pillow. The swish was it's little nails on the pillowcase. So yeah, nice place. I also got a raging case of staph all over my legs there, and the doctor prescribed me Betadyne wipedowns for it. It worked like magic and is another reason I am povidone iodine's biggest booster!
    Oh, my gosh!! That's so terrible! That's definitely good information to know...but I'm sorry that happened! I would have FREAKED out if I woke up to a rat on the pillow next to my head! Rats can be nasty, filthy little creatures, obviously. It's not their fault. They can't help it. They just are! When I was in my early 20's, I had 2 pet rats, who I loved dearly. But these were domestic rats. Wild rats are another story, entirely. In 2017, when I was living in a different house, a couple of rats got into the house, even though we kept the house clean. Well, 2 rats multiplied very quickly, and then there were dozens of them living in the walls, the sunroom, and the garage!! It was so disturbing and disgusting!! They peed and pooped on everything, they chewed up everything, and utterly destroyed the walls, parts of the house, and a lot of my personal property before we could get them all out of the house!! And it took a long time to get them all out! I have never in my life smelled anything worse than their pee!! We were very lucky we didn't get sick with anything because of those rats!!

I think I would have heart failure, too! I do agree that a squirrel is not a rat with a fluffy tail, and a better suit. I used to like rats. They're not as cute as squirrels, but I do still think they're cute. I liked them up until 2017 when another house I was living in got invaded with rats, even though we kept the house clean. But wild rats just carry so many disgusting diseases that humans can catch.

Plus, something extremely heartbreaking happened to my fox squirrel, Bella, I had at the time because of rats. Before we had a rat problem in that house, the rat problem started off outside in the yard. My nest door neighbor at the time had a large woodpile up against his fence next to our yard, so there were always tons of them in my yard at night. My squirrel, Bella, used to love dandelion greens I would pick her from out in my yard. But I didn't always rinse them off before I gave them to her because she didn't like them when I rinsed them off, and she wouldn't eat them like that. I wrongly figured that since I didn't ever put any weed killer or any other chemicals in my yard, the dandelion greens would still be safe for her to eat if they weren't rinsed off first. I had been feeding them to her like that ever since I rescued her in early 2013, and never had a problem with them. Fast forward to 2017 when the rat problem started outside. I still fed Bella the dandelion greens without rinsing them off first. Bella ended up very sick and she passed away in March of 2018 due to liver cirrhosis. Neither my vets nor I could figure out how in the world Bella got liver cirrhosis. By the time Bella was even showing signs she was sick, she had already had liver cirrhosis for quite some time, but we didn't even know she was sick. I took her to the vet the day after she got sick, but she just continued to get worse over the nest few days. That was on a Sunday. At first, my vet thought Bella might have had some kind of stomach virus. He began treating her for that, but she wasn't getting any better. The following Thursday Bella had a urinalysis done, and a blood test done on Friday. That is when it was discovered she had liver cirrhosis. But she was already so far gone that there was nothing my vet could do to save her. Bella began having seizures the very next day due to the toxins from her liver flooding the rest of her body, and she passed away that day, on that Saturday. Bella was only 5 years and 3 months old. Bella was the love of my life, my daughter, my best friend, my soul mate. When I lost her, I was so heartbroken and beyond devastated. After a TON of investigation and research, I was able to find out just how Bella got liver cirrhosis. Long story short, and in the simplest of terms, there is a parasite in rat feces that when ingested causes liver cirrhosis in squirrels, other rodents, dogs, and even in humans. These parasites are typically found on leafy green vegetation where the area is frequented by rats. The nasty, filthy, disgusting creatures are pooping all over the leafy greens, and when people, or other animals, eat those leafy greens without rinsing them off first, they get liver cirrhosis!! So rat feces killed my precious little Bella!! Even though I had absolutely no way of knowing any of this before Bella got sick and passed away, I still struggle hard with the guilt that I fed these things to her, and she got sick and passed away because of me. I still struggle hard that I am the one responsible for Bella's death. Common sense still should have told me to rinse off the dandelion greens before giving them to her. I still struggle hard with the fact that if I had just rinsed off the dandelion greens, Bella would, and should, still be here with me today. So, no...I no longer like rats anymore!!

I just read about how you lost your dear Bella. I am SO sorry for you, and the guilt you live with. It won't help much, but you were trying to make her happy by giving her the dandelion greens in a way she would enjoy most. You just did not know.
    "I hope everyone got or gets their Baby Love today"~Shewhosweptforest

https://www.henryspets.com/1-baby-squirrel-care-guide/

20. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Chirps:

Bella's Mom (04-03-2021), Buddy (04-04-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Chirps View Post
    I just read about how you lost your dear Bella. I am SO sorry for you, and the guilt you live with. It won't help much, but you were trying to make her happy by giving her the dandelion greens in a way she would enjoy most. You just did not know.

Thank you so much for your kind words. This may sound dumb to some people, but I was so heartbroken and devastated by Bella's loss, that I had to go for grief counseling when she passed away, not only just because I lost her, the love of my life, but that I caused her to get sick and pass away. It's just really, really difficult living with the fact that I caused the death of someone I loved more than anything in this world. I'm STILL trying to work through that in therapy. Someday I hope to just be able to let go of that guilt and put it behind me, but it's not easy.

Bella was my very first rescue squirrel. I rescued her out of my backyard when she was orphaned at approximately 8 weeks old. Unfortunately, Bella's mom was killed by a hawk in my backyard. Due to a couple different reasons, Bella was not releasable back into the wild, so I kept her.

Since Bella, I have successfully rescued, raised and released 6 additional squirrels over the years. Jacob is the 8th squirrel I rescued. He just turned 4 years old in March. Jacob is not releasable back into the wild, either, because he has a malocclusion, brain damage, and other neurological issues due to things that happened to him while he was still living out in the wild. But he is on daily medications for those things, and is doing well in captivity. He is just the sweetest little guy, and I love him so much!❤ Because of what happened with Bella, I am super careful and obsessive with every single aspect of Jacob's care. Which is not a bad thing, at all, and I will be the same way with any squirrel I may have the opportunity and blessing to care for, in the future. I know I can never make up for what happened with my precious little angel, Bella. But I can make sure I do right by Jacob and any other animals I ever have in my care.

22. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Bella's Mom from:

Buddy (04-04-2021)

Great news, y'all!�� The Silvadene got here early this morning. I cleaned Jacob up when it got here, put the Silvadene on him, replenished it often, have kept it on him all day, and put some more on him before he went to bed this evening. AND his owies are already almost completely gone!!�� I'm so excited about this, and I'm sure he probably feels a lot better now! So, I'm guessing this probably is urine scald. This Silvadene stuff is the bomb!!�� Thank you all so much for your responses and your help! I really appreciate it! An extra special thank you to Mel1959 for sending Jacob's pictures to the vet!!❤

24. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Bella's Mom from:

Buddy (04-04-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Bella's Mom View Post

Bella was my very first rescue squirrel. I rescued her out of my backyard when she was orphaned at approximately 8 weeks old. Unfortunately, Bella's mom was killed by a hawk in my backyard. Due to a couple different reasons, Bella was not releasable back into the wild, so I kept her.
    If that's so, then if she had grown up and lived in your yard with the poopy rats around she may have eaten contaminated dandelions at some point anyway. After all no one would be washing them for the wilds.

EDIT: Great news about Jacob!
    "I hope everyone got or gets their Baby Love today"~Shewhosweptforest

https://www.henryspets.com/1-baby-squirrel-care-guide/

26. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Chirps:

Bella's Mom (04-06-2021), Buddy (04-04-2021)

Great news, y'all!�� The Silvadene got here early this morning. I cleaned Jacob up when it got here, put the Silvadene on him, replenished it often, have kept it on him all day, and put some more on him before he went to bed this evening. AND his owies are already almost completely gone!!�� I'm so excited about this, and I'm sure he probably feels a lot better now! So, I'm guessing this probably is urine scald. This Silvadene stuff is the bomb!!�� Thank you all so much for your responses and your help! I really appreciate it! An extra special thank you to Mel1959 for sending Jacob's pictures to the vet!!❤
    Thank you for the thanks, but I never heard back from my vet....which is disappointing. . I guess all that matters is that Jacob is getting better.

28. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

Bella's Mom (04-06-2021)

So sorry to hear about Bella! If it helps any, you were doing everything you can in the best way you know how! You loved her more than anything! That's something that Bella will always have and carry with! And not every squirrel gets that much love!

Also agree that if the risk was there in your yard, she might have gotten that anyways... And maybe her sickness and passing away would be a lot worse... We just don't know these things. You had the best intentions and great love! That's what matters to help grow a soul!

Great news about Jacob!
    Animals are magical....Thank you everyone who tries to help them, save them tirelessly...

30. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Buddy from:

Bella's Mom (04-06-2021)

m all day, and put some more on him before he went to bed this evening. AND his Great news, y'all!�� The Silvadene got here early this morning. I cleaned Jacob up when it got here, put the Silvadene on him, replenished it often, have kept it on and his owies are already almost completely gone!!�� I'm so excited about this, and I'm sure he probably feels a lot better now! So, I'm guessing this probably is urine scald. This Silvadene stuff is the bomb!!��
    Would I lie? I have been pushing this stuff for years -- something everyone should have in their medicine cabinet for ALL mammals in the house, including the humans.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

32. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to island rehabber:

Bella's Mom (04-06-2021), Buddy (04-04-2021), Mel1959 (04-04-2021)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast