Thread: Skin Lesions on Adult Inside Squirrel

Default Skin Lesions on Adult Inside Squirrel

Hey guys! Me again lol
    Okay, so Abbi had developed these really strange ulcer type skin lesions. The first ones (one on her leg and one on her side) developed back in Sept/Oct. It cleared up on it's own and was fine. She developed another one on her leg in December, it cleared up on it's own again. Now she's developed ANOTHER one on the same leg, in the same place. I'm posting pics from the first round, but the leg pic is basically what her leg looks like now (the one of the round sore on her side hasn't returned...but now there's a strange colored patch of hair there lol).

I just have absolutely no idea what could be causing the issue. She turned 7 years in February and hasn't had this problem before. Her food/bedding hasn't changed (Henry's block in the morning, veggies at night....and a peanut butter cracker here and there lol)
    Any thoughts?? She doesn't seem to mind me touching the places at all...but I just want to fix whatever the issue is. I hate seeing her with sores on her.

Name:  received_521620828801209.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  55.8 KB
    Name:  received_411304396611644.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  50.5 KB

Default Re: Skin Lesions on Adult Inside Squirrel

Go to the drug store and get a bottle of 10% povidone iodine - brand name is Betadyne but the store brand is fine. It is in the wound cage aisle. Put 25 drops of the betadyne in 1/4 cup of water and use it to wipe down the area several times a day. Just wipe and leave it damp to dry on it's own. It looks a little "staph-ish" and the betadyne is great for that. It doesn't sting or burn at all, and won't hurt her if she licks it.

What is her environment? What sort of cage is she in?

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to CritterMom from:

Abbi's Mama (04-08-2021)

Default Re: Skin Lesions on Adult Inside Squirrel

Quote Originally Posted by CritterMom View Post
    Go to the drug store and get a bottle of 10% povidone iodine - brand name is Betadyne but the store brand is fine. It is in the wound cage aisle. Put 25 drops of the betadyne in 1/4 cup of water and use it to wipe down the area several times a day. Just wipe and leave it damp to dry on it's own. It looks a little "staph-ish" and the betadyne is great for that. It doesn't sting or burn at all, and won't hurt her if she licks it.

What is her environment? What sort of cage is she in?
    Thanks for the quick response CritterMom!
    Here's a pic of her cage setup (she likes to lay on the bottom pretty often, but she's always been like that). Right now there are more branches in the cage, but she was developing the sores before they were put in, so they can't be the problem.

Name:  received_155052982370899.jpg
Views: 39
Size:  149.7 KB