Thread: 7 week old baby with skin issues

Default 7 week old baby with skin issues

Hi everyone I need help we have been taking care of a baby squirrel for about 4 weeks now. He is doing great but has a skin issue. He had no problem beautiful fur coming in and last week the dry skin started. He has not been outside since we got him. The dry skin is on his shoulders and a little bit on his ears and face. Please help see attached photo. Sorry it's hard to take a picture with a wiggle worm
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Default Re: 7 week old baby with skin issues

Quote Originally Posted by Kgomez6 View Post
    Hi everyone I need help we have been taking care of a baby squirrel for about 4 weeks now. He is doing great but has a skin issue. He had no problem beautiful fur coming in and last week the dry skin started. He has not been outside since we got him. The dry skin is on his shoulders and a little bit on his ears and face. Please help see attached photo. Sorry it's hard to take a picture with a wiggle worm
    This baby has mites. You will need to get hold of either some revolution or Ivermectin.
    Revolution is Rx, maybe you know a vet that will give you some or maybe a friend that
    has some Revolution they treat their cat or dog with.
    It can be ordered on line without script from Joe's Pet Meds but delivery is out of the
    UK or Australia and takes some time. This baby needs treatment as soon as possible.
    If you can't acquire any Revolution I'd suggest seeking the Ivermectin. We can explain
    how to dose. Usually it can be found in farm feed/supply stores such as Southern States,
    Tractor supply, etc.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

3. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to stepnstone:

Buddy (03-31-2021), Kgomez6 (03-31-2021), Mel1959 (03-31-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by stepnstone View Post
    This baby has mites. You will need to get hold of either some revolution or Ivermectin.
    Revolution is Rx, maybe you know a vet that will give you some or maybe a friend that
    has some Revolution they treat their cat or dog with.
    It can be ordered on line without script from Joe's Pet Meds but delivery is out of the
    UK or Australia and takes some time. This baby needs treatment as soon as possible.
    If you can't acquire any Revolution I'd suggest seeking the Ivermectin. We can explain
    how to dose. Usually it can be found in farm feed/supply stores such as Southern States,
    Tractor supply, etc.

Thank you so much for your help. Can my other animals get this too? Your have dogs and cats.

Mites are usually species specific - humans can't get dog mites, etc.

6. Serious fuzzy thank you's to CritterMom from:

Kgomez6 (03-31-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by CritterMom View Post
    Mites are usually species specific - humans can't get dog mites, etc.

Thank you so I dont have to worry about my dogs and cats getting it to?

Quote Originally Posted by Kgomez6 View Post
    Thank you so I dont have to worry about my dogs and cats getting it to?
    Mites are quite species specific, they usually occur only on one type of host and a few closely related species like canids such as
    dogs, wolves and foxes, but not on cats. Some forms can also affect humans. The most common type of mange in dogs is sarcoptic
    mange, also called canine scabies. Humans can catch sarcoptic mange from dogs but the mites involved cannot complete their life
    cycle in human skin.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

9. Serious fuzzy thank you's to stepnstone from:

Kgomez6 (03-31-2021)