Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Average weight of a 23 week old grey squirrel???

Default Average weight of a 23 week old grey squirrel???

Myself and Marie were trying to figure out what the average weight of Elliot and Tuff should be. So today I got Tuff to pee on the scale 😂😂 so it was easier to put him back up there. Tuff came in at an average of 542. So I text Marie...how much does Elliot weigh. She tried I’m sure has the same difficulties as myself, Elliot weighs in at 535. So our question is are they of average weight for their age.
    Tuff was born approximately around October 21st. Elliot came to Marie on November 13 eyes already open. So I would say they are within a week of each other. Are they of a good weight for their age?

Default Re: Average weight of a 23 week old grey squirrel???

I think ht seems like a pretty average weight for a young adult gray squirrel. These guys weight really depends on where they live. Our Florida grays don’t usually reach 500gr when full grown, but northern grays can weigh twice that amount. Considering you guys aren’t as far south as me or as far north as other members, I think their weight is about spot on.

3. 6 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

Buddy (03-30-2021), Diggie's Friend (03-30-2021), island rehabber (03-30-2021), Scooterzmom (03-30-2021), Snicker Bar (03-30-2021), Tuff (03-29-2021)

It is SO hard to establish an "average" weight for Eastern Grey Squirrels. As Mel said, their weights vary widely from region to region in the US, and also from one individual to another. I have had babies who looked 8 weeks old at 6 mos old (I nicknamed them "The Gerbils"), and have had huge kids who were almost 200g before their eyes opened. So long as the babies are strong, curious, and eating well you don't need to worry about numbers so much.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

5. Serious fuzzy thank you's to island rehabber from:

Mel1959 (03-30-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by island rehabber View Post
    It is SO hard to establish an "average" weight for Eastern Grey Squirrels. As Mel said, their weights vary widely from region to region in the US, and also from one individual to another. I have had babies who looked 8 weeks old at 6 mos old (I nicknamed them "The Gerbils"), and have had huge kids who were almost 200g before their eyes opened. So long as the babies are strong, curious, and eating well you don't need to worry about numbers so much.

I did reweigh Tuff this morning as he had to pee and likes to pee on the scale 🤦🏻*♀️. So he is 452 not 542. So he is 100g below Elliot. We did have issues with MBD at about 9 weeks. Early catch, he’s recovered really well. Could this be the cause of his smaller stature or it just because. Now I’m worried lol. I often wondered what the long term effect of it would be even though we caught it early. He eats really well!!! We get absolutely no nuts at all maybe one or two a month but that’s just if I decide to see how he handles it. Last check point was it took him about 30 sec to get in it, maybe 45. So his teeth are good, bottoms look long but his top and bottom are aligned. They don’t touch the roof of his mouth at all. I guess as his mom I worry a lot about him and his chances of survival when I release. Anyways we were just curious about them both.

Tuff's activity level and vigor suggest that he is doing just fine. Each squirrel is an individual, just as each human is an individual born with different frames. I think it is better that Tuff is lean and active rather than fat and lethargic. I expect that he continue to gain weight slowly as he approaches full maturity.

You could add another picture, that never hurt.

You can weigh a small box (or something), write down that weight, and then place Tuff inside the box and this will give you the weight of Tuff and the box. Next, just take a calculator and subtract the weight of the box from the total. What remains will be Tuff's weight.

Some digital scales also have a "tare" button. This is also usually the power button. If you put the box on the scale and briefly press the "tare" button it will zero the scale with the box on it. If you put Tuff inside the box after having done this the digital scale will show Tuff's weight. However, with this method, each day you will have to hit "tare" every time you put the empty box on the scale.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock Monkey View Post
    Tuff's activity level and vigor suggest that he is doing just fine. Each squirrel is an individual, just as each human is an individual born with different frames. I think it is better that Tuff is lean and active rather than fat and lethargic. I expect that he continue to gain weight slowly as he approaches full maturity.

You could add another picture, that never hurt.

You can weigh a small box (or something), write down that weight, and then place Tuff inside the box and this will give you the weight of Tuff and the box. Next, just take a calculator and subtract the weight of the box from the total. What remains will be Tuff's weight.

Some digital scales also have a "tare" button. This is also usually the power button. If you put the box on the scale and briefly press the "tare" button it will zero the scale with the box on it. If you put Tuff inside the box after having done this the digital scale will show Tuff's weight. However, with this method, each day you will have to hit "tare" every time you put the empty box on the scale.
    I would assume I would stop worrying soon enough. He is so rambunctious, and mischievous it does seem some days his antics will never end. He loves me in his own special way...ya know the way they pee on your head..🥴. He will always have a place here no matter what. I guess I’m just a tad over protective. Name:  E130FE17-A8F7-4AA0-BBCF-4A7BD5F01F41.jpg
Views: 196
Size:  87.6 KB

His favorite thing to calm him is to smell the air coming out of the vents...lol

Is your plan to release Tuff this spring?

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    Is your plan to release Tuff this spring?
    As soon as the weather will clear off and the trees are full. We have had several weeks of really bad storms. My days off have been a little wonky this last month or so. I stopped feeding the wilds right after the snow and ice storm in order to “clear” my yard of any potential bullies. Do you have any suggestions?

11. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Tuff:

Buddy (03-31-2021), Scooterzmom (04-01-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Tuff View Post
    I would assume I would stop worrying soon enough. He is so rambunctious, and mischievous it does seem some days his antics will never end. He loves me in his own special way...ya know the way they pee on your head..��. He will always have a place here no matter what. I guess I’m just a tad over protective. Name:  E130FE17-A8F7-4AA0-BBCF-4A7BD5F01F41.jpg
Views: 196
Size:  87.6 KB

His favorite thing to calm him is to smell the air coming out of the vents...lol
    Nice picture.

Hmm. Helen never peed on my head. When she was little once or twice she peed on my fleece, but that's it. She was sneaky about where she would pee. She would back up to things so that the peed would soak under.

Initially I tried to train her not to get up on my head, but I gave up. In the last month when we were cooped up together as she was recuperating from her bad fall she was pretty affectionate. She would sit on top of my head and I would pet her, but this was pretty strenuous. It was a two handed operation. One to pet her and the other to position in front of her so that if she decided to descend down the front of my face, which is unpleasant, I could block her. My arms would get tired before she would tire of this. I could manage five or ten minutes but not much beyond this. It was much easier when she would sit on my shoulder.

I wonder if males pee more often than females. Maybe they are more active about marking territory or looking for love.

13. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Rock Monkey from:

Scooterzmom (04-01-2021)

Nice picture.

Hmm. Helen never peed on my head. When she was little once or twice she peed on my fleece, but that's it. She was sneaky about where she would pee. She would back up to things so that the peed would soak under.

Initially I tried to train her not to get up on my head, but I gave up. In the last month when we were cooped up together as she was recuperating from her bad fall she was pretty affectionate. She would sit on top of my head and I would pet her, but this was pretty strenuous. It was a two handed operation. One to pet her and the other to position in front of her so that if she decided to descend down the front of my face, which is unpleasant, I could block her. My arms would get tired before she would tire of this. I could manage five or ten minutes but not much beyond this. It was much easier when she would sit on my shoulder.

I wonder if males pee more often than females. Maybe they are more active about marking territory or looking for love.
    I really think it is more of a marking issue. He marks me, the microwave, the kitchen table, the remote, my phone, the keurig, the kitchen counter, the scale...ya know everything. I can’t imagine how he has so much to distribute.
    The first thing Tuff does in the mornings and after I get home from work is sit on my head. I have several pictures of him doing this...but it’s more like he rubs on my head and sprawls out so to speak. He’s only descended down my face a couple of times. So I leaned my head forward so he can roll and love on the back of my head, all I can do when he does this is giggle and laugh. This seems to make him happy and that’s all that counts.
    We are starting to see more of the wild in him at this point. He has issues with my pockets. Doesn’t matter what pocket just any pocket that I have on at the time. He can not stand anything in my pockets. What ever it is, it has to come out. He wants it and he is willing to fight me over it. Now I walk around in sweat pants and a hoodie. So all pockets are his!!! He’s a tad strange at times. Some days he wants to stretch out on the recliner and others he wants to race around the sunroom. He really isn’t curious to what’s beyond that..that makes me worry a little but he is still young. His obsession with the coffee has subsided a little, and the Mountain Dew, but the need for my cigarettes is over the top just a tad..he loves my new earbuds...had to fight him for those but anything interesting will make him drop stuff pretty quickly. So yes I am learning to hide everything or have more interesting things to offer. Keeps the bloody knuckles at bay..😂😂😂. Total conclusion it’s gonna break my heart to watch him go but it will break my heart even more to confine him for the rest of his life. Even though I know I can keep him perfectly safe.

15. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Tuff:

Buddy (03-31-2021), Rock Monkey (03-31-2021)

As soon as the weather will clear off and the trees are full. We have had several weeks of really bad storms. My days off have been a little wonky this last month or so. I stopped feeding the wilds right after the snow and ice storm in order to “clear” my yard of any potential bullies. Do you have any suggestions?
    What has always worked well for me was to provide one (or two if there’s space) nest boxes in the release cage. This way he can get used to both of them. When it’s time for release I put one box up in a nearby tree. This way the box has his scent in it already and he’s comfortable being in it.

If you have plenty of space in your release cage I like to put the cube or bed they slept in inside the house in the cage too. This way they will have something familiar when they first go into the release cage.

17. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

sundoesshine (04-01-2021)

What has always worked well for me was to provide one (or two if there’s space) nest boxes in the release cage. This way he can get used to both of them. When it’s time for release I put one box up in a nearby tree. This way the box has his scent in it already and he’s comfortable being in it.

If you have plenty of space in your release cage I like to put the cube or bed they slept in inside the house in the cage too. This way they will have something familiar when they first go into the release cage.
    Right now we have a cube and a small nesting box in his cage...most of the time he chooses the cube, occasionally he will sleep in his box. He isn’t packing them out with things though, hopefully that will come as we make our transition. He doesn’t have a stash of goodies either, eats it or throws it to the bottom of the cage. No real food aggressions but of course we don’t get nuts. Hopefully he will wild up sooner rather than later in the year.

It’s been my experience that once they go into the release cage they tend to wild up pretty quickly because your interaction with them is limited. Plus they see other squirrels and their natural instincts kick in.

20. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

sundoesshine (04-01-2021)

It’s been my experience that once they go into the release cage they tend to wild up pretty quickly because your interaction with them is limited. Plus they see other squirrels and their natural instincts kick in.
    It’s gonna be the no touch interaction that will be very difficult with me. 😭😭😭

22. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Tuff:

Buddy (04-01-2021), sundoesshine (04-01-2021)

I know....been there, done that.

24. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

Buddy (04-01-2021), sundoesshine (04-01-2021), Tuff (04-01-2021)

Total conclusion it’s gonna break my heart to watch him go but it will break my heart even more to confine him for the rest of his life. Even though I know I can keep him perfectly safe.
    I think as Tuff continues to grow older is instinct to be outside will grow stronger. Occasionally, Helen would make some efforts to chew her way out and spent some time looking out the window, so I knew she wanted to be outside. I knew that from the minute I took her in that that was the way it would be eventually. Then when she when she went AWOL but came back I realized that urge was getting stronger and stronger. That realization of her need made it easier to release her, but I am not saying it was easy. Also, I became more and more worried that she would do herself in wondering where she might find food within the house or chewing on electrical wires.

In the month since she has been outside now when I have visited her she hasn't climbed on me once and has been pretty shy and wary. The instincts assert themselves in our absence.

26. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Rock Monkey from:

Buddy (04-01-2021)

I think as Tuff continues to grow older is instinct to be outside will grow stronger. Occasionally, Helen would make some efforts to chew her way out and spent some time looking out the window, so I knew she wanted to be outside. I knew that from the minute I took her in that that was the way it would be eventually. Then when she when she went AWOL but came back I realized that urge was getting stronger and stronger. That realization of her need made it easier to release her, but I am not saying it was easy. Also, I became more and more worried that she would do herself in wondering where she might find food within the house or chewing on electrical wires.

In the month since she has been outside now when I have visited her she hasn't climbed on me once and has been pretty shy and wary. The instincts assert themselves in our absence.
    I read as much of your story about releasing Helen...couldn’t read it all..I cried so hard. I’ve known these days would come sooner than later. I cry everyday or so knowing that one day he will be out in the world on his own. I never thought that this incredible journey would be this emotional. I had no idea what the crap I was doing...he fought to live and I fought to keep him alive. He has saved me multiple times over. Today we had a great morning, me wanting him to be all sweet and him being a “jwerk” as we call it. Getting into everything possible, then all of the sudden he stopped being a jwerk. He jumped from the top of his cage landed on his back in my arms and was like rub my belly. So I cradled him like a baby and rubbed his belly and he took a 30 sec or so nap, he laid there so peaceful, so perfectly still. It was time for me to get ready for work so I walked over to his cage and sat him in there...no fuss nothing. He turned looked at me and was like ok. I worked like 2 hours today and they sent me home. I walked back through the door opened the cage and the look on his face was super excitement. We haven’t had an early day in quite some time. We played ran, jumped, climbed, wrestled and even got into a game of blanket toss (Tuffs favorite game). Towards dark which is much later now, I started to mellow out...he climbed in my lap, I put his piece of fleece in my lap and the one glove we can find now, he made himself a small nest and stretched out for a cheek and ear rub. He just layed there. If I stopped he would grab my hand like nope. So I covered him up partially he was so content and peaceful. Just laying there on me...I just can’t fathom not having that with him.

28. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Tuff:

Buddy (04-02-2021), Rock Monkey (04-02-2021), sundoesshine (04-02-2021)

I hear and relate to everything you’re saying about Tuff. I have been there and done that. My story is similar. It was a female I raised and released. Shortly after release she fell and suffered some head injuries. I brought her back inside and went through months of treatment for her to recover. In that time she was the biggest cuddle bug you could imagine. I spent every evening at bedtime with her in my lap, wrapped in a blanket while I rocked her in my rocking chair. It was a very special time.

But then it happened....Spring had sprung and she was older and everything changed. She no longer wanted the cuddles, began to pace and look out the window and then bit me with no warning. The bite was a huge awakening for me because it shattered that trust. It was then that I knew she was ready to live her life in the trees.

She’s still in the tree in my side yard and has had 5 litters of babies! . Their instincts are very strong and almost always prevail. Every now and then there’s a squirrel that doesn’t want a life in the trees, but those ones are rare.

30. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

Buddy (04-02-2021), Rock Monkey (04-02-2021), sundoesshine (04-02-2021), Tuff (04-02-2021)

I never thought that this incredible journey would be this emotional.
    Sounds like you two had a great day yesterday. Be sure to take plenty of videos.

When I talk about Helen to other people, non-squirrel people, I get the definite sense that they have no clue of the emotional depth of our bond. None. I think they think that I am a little nuts, but they keep this thought to themselves. They don't understand my need to go on and on about her, to process the experience. I tell, "Imagine driving your dog or cat 100 miles away, opening the door, putting them out, and then driving away." Their response is always something like, "Oh no, I couldn't do that.", but still they don't get it. Well, that's our burden and it isn't easy, not easy at all.

32. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Rock Monkey:

Buddy (04-02-2021), sundoesshine (04-02-2021), Tuff (04-02-2021)

Sounds like you two had a great day yesterday. Be sure to take plenty of videos.

When I talk about Helen to other people, non-squirrel people, I get the definite sense that they have no clue of the emotional depth of our bond. None. I think they think that I am a little nuts, but they keep this thought to themselves. They don't understand my need to go on and on about her, to process the experience. I tell, "Imagine driving your dog or cat 100 miles away, opening the door, putting them out, and then driving away." Their response is always something like, "Oh no, I couldn't do that.", but still they don't get it. Well, that's our burden and it isn't easy, not easy at all.
    That’s the thing I just can’t do videos lol...he hates my phone tries to eat it, pees on it when it is lying around. He has stolen it a few times. Occasionally we get pictures. But that’s only when he is in a really good mood or busy with squirrel things. He is just absolutely amazing, non stop bundle of laughed, and tears. Mostly because when I have a day off my hands get scratched up a good bit, next day they are pretty tender. God forbid they give me two days off in a row, then it’s all out woo hoo mom gets scratched up a good bit. I have more videos of play time that love time. I haven’t posted any of them to you tube for fear of uneducated people lashing out about how rough we play. But he loves every second of it, and usually he will beg to play rough. I’m gonna miss those days.

34. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Tuff:

Buddy (04-02-2021), Rock Monkey (04-02-2021), sundoesshine (04-02-2021)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast