Thread: Florida Rehabber

Default Florida Rehabber

Three years ago I took in a single orphaned baby squirrel that I raised and released with everyone here’s help. Boy did that start a whirlwind for us! I’m now sub permitted and experienced with squirrels, opossums, and recently raccoons. We rehab as a family. Myself, husband, daughter (22) and son (14). We have full supplies on hand for injured or orphaned animals. We also have vet access as needed. We’re just outside of Tampa, Florida. Please text or email if needed since I rarely login here. 813-541-6636 or gamegearinc@gmail.com. It’s been awhile, I hope you’re all doing well! 😊

-Selena

Default Re: Florida Rehabber

Hi Selena, thanks for the update. I had your name and number in my notebook of rehabber contacts for your area, but the email was different, so I jotted down the new email.

Isn’t it amazing how one little creature changes your life. I too work as a sub-permittee on the opposite side of the state near Cocoa Beach.

I love squirrels dearly, but raccoons completely stole my heart. Now that you’ve ventured down that raccoon path prepare yourself for life changing feelings. I fantasize about moving to the woods where I can raise and release them on my property and have raccoon social hour every evening.

I have five in pre release right now. I'm hoping they stay close and visit. This will be the first coonies we've released here. My daughter has chickens so I'd avoided releasing here before. But they are secured in their coup at night and we have plenty of wild raccoons in the surrounding woods, so we might as well.

They definitely steal your heart ❤️ The first one I raised was no more than a day old when I got him. I had him nearly five weeks before getting a buddy his age. He would cry until you let him out and held him. I still miss him but I know he's living his best wild life by the rescue. They are for sure my favorite now. Today (Saturday) is fish day. We fill their pool with a dozen shiners and sit down back and watch them fish.

Yep, I used to do the same thing with my guys. We actually had the last one I raised swimming in our swimming pool. She loved it!

I’ve raised a couple of singletons and won’t do that again. They get way too attached to me and I to them.

My life is too chaotic right now to take any, but I really miss having them to raise.