Thread: Hard mass in right abdomen

Default Hard mass in right abdomen

I’m a rehabber in Ct. friend of Gayles but it’s late so trying here. Three week old baby squirrel (60g now) came in dehydrated but otherwise healthy. ? How long away from mom.
    I hydrated for 24 hours and started on diluted formula (fox valley 32/40, zoologics 33/40, cream and water.). Tonight I discovered a marble size mass in his right abdomen. He is taking hydration (ringers) and eating regularly. Normal stool. Going to try molasses next feeding but want to prep for other possibilités just in case. Seeking ideas from the board.
    Thanks Regina

Default Re: Hard mass in right abdomen

I also thought it worth mentioning that when he came in penis had been suckled by litter mate. Multiple hickeys on abdomen and anus. I soaked the scab off and now he’s urinating and defecating well. No lacerations. Behaving normally. A little noisy but actively eating and moving about in containment.

Please continue water hydration; molasses drops to keep blood sugar level from crashing. You may want to look up info on this website on cement belly. I'm west coast not a rehabber for neonates; the rehabbers will be back tomorrow morning to assist you further. Take care.

Please read this thread immediately' it's about a problem that was found with Fox valley formula 32/40 that causes cement belly, leading to death.

https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...x-Valley-32-40

This just happened again to a seasoned rehabber. She fed Fox Valley 32/40 and it sat like cement.
    Three of the babies have died.
    From what Duckman posted here, it may be better not to use molasses since it is made from corn.
    Instead a non corn source like a drop of maple syrup or honey.

5. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Diggie's Friend from:

stepnstone (03-27-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Yardconifer View Post
    I’m a rehabber in Ct. friend of Gayles but it’s late so trying here. Three week old baby squirrel (60g now) came in dehydrated but otherwise healthy. ? How long away from mom.
    I hydrated for 24 hours and started on diluted formula (fox valley 32/40, zoologics 33/40, cream and water.). Tonight I discovered a marble size mass in his right abdomen. He is taking hydration (ringers) and eating regularly. Normal stool. Going to try molasses next feeding but want to prep for other possibilités just in case. Seeking ideas from the board.
    Thanks Regina
    I hope you have made contact with Gayle. Could the mass possibly stool? I hope Gayle can get the baby in to be evaluated by a vet.

7. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

Diggie's Friend (03-27-2021)

Thank you for your replies. Problem resolved! After I had removed a scan the night before and he was urinating regularly, I thought the problem was resolved. While stimulating a few hours after writing my first message, I noticed that he was not urinating and that the tip of the penis looked blunt and whitish. So, I put some magnifying glasses on and could not see an opening. In a few hours of dryness, a white scab had grown in the other one’s place. I was able to urgently knick it just slightly with a high gauge needle to open it without much apparent discomfort to the baby (it was dead white tissue). He was able to relieve himself completely. I soaked again at which time Gayle got in touch and advised that I apply olive oil to prevent it from closing again. That was last night. Over night I checked several time and reapplied olive oil. This morning he is stable; urinating and defecating normally. I will continue to monitor and apply olive oil every few hours. Gayle’s been trying to help me find the bladder for ages...from when I was trying to express an injured adult (side note, unless it’s very temporary, I don’t recommend putting an adult though that ever...I would euthanize with bladder issues). Anyway, I could never find the bladder. Now, I know where it is and what a swollen one feels like! Thanks again for your replies.

9. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Yardconifer:

Diggie's Friend (03-27-2021), Mel1959 (03-27-2021)