Thread: very very constipated!

Default very very constipated!

I have a baby squirrel that I believe is around 6 weeks old. I had him on petlac and pedialyte and a lovely member, Mel, told me I was doing everything wrong! so I switched to esbilac and water immediately and everything was going good until baby stopped pooping. It's been 3 days with nothing. He is still very very active and it doesn't really seem to bother him but I can touch his tummy and feel how impacted his lower tummy is. I know he hasn't been pooping anywhere else, I search every time I feed him. I gave him apple juice, didn't do anything so I bumped it up to diluted prune juice, then concentrated prune juice, and last night a dosage of .3 mineral oil (he is 149 grams) and still nothing. my mother is suspecting that maybe he has some kind of parasite? worms? he was flea ridden when we found him. he still has a ferocious appetite but just no poop. I will include pictures when I get a chance.

Default Re: very very constipated!

heres the pictures, you can see how impacted his lower belly is.

Name:  20210325_124714.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  73.6 KBName:  20210325_124718.jpg
Views: 151
Size:  67.9 KBName:  20210325_124710.jpg
Views: 147
Size:  69.6 KB

I’d love to get others input. According to the WMB the mineral oil can be given once in a 12 hour period.

Does anyone think she should try another dose?

Are you still trying warm soaks up to his armpits? Mineral oil rubbed around his rectum?

Have you tried calling the vet I suggested to see if they’ll see him or have a recommendation? I think I’d call them.

My concern is an obstruction, but I’d think he would be in pain and not willing to eat.

Any other ideas guys?

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    I’d love to get others input. According to the WMB the mineral oil can be given once in a 12 hour period.

Does anyone think she should try another dose?

Are you still trying warm soaks up to his armpits? Mineral oil rubbed around his rectum?

Have you tried calling the vet I suggested to see if they’ll see him or have a recommendation? I think I’d call them.

My concern is an obstruction, but I’d think he would be in pain and not willing to eat.

Any other ideas guys?
    yep lots of warm soaks, my mom is thinking maybe a baby laxative but I just don't know.

I would like to see a picture of which esbilac you have been feeding.
    Also asking how it is being mixed? and how much you have been feeding each time, how often.?
    Constipation is related to dehydration in the colon, giving extra hydration can be a big factor
    to get things moving again.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

6. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to stepnstone:

Mel1959 (03-25-2021), Spanky (03-25-2021)

Have you tried Gas-X (Simethicone) ?

This product is used to relieve symptoms of bloating,
    Simethicone helps break up gas bubbles in the gut.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

8. Serious fuzzy thank you's to stepnstone from:

Mel1959 (03-25-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by stepnstone View Post
    I would like to see a picture of which esbilac you have been feeding.
    Also asking how it is being mixed? and how much you have been feeding each time, how often.?
    Constipation is related to dehydration in the colon, giving extra hydration can be a big factor
    to get things moving again.
    its the powdered petag esbilac with the white puppy on the can that I see pictures of everywhere, its the one with prebiotics and probiotics, I make a batch 1 part powder 2 parts hot water and shake it around in a water bottle for a long time until there's no clumps and I let it cool in the fridge and we take it out, put what we need in a syringe, and put it back in the fridge. then we warm up the syringe and all. we feed him 10-12 ccs every 4 hours skipping night time. we've been giving him lots of water in-between feedings, he loves the honey water.

we have not tried gas‐x but if itll help then I'm 100% willing to try. I thibk he's gonna die soon even though he's not showing any signs of sickness, he can't stay this way for long.

also I just got the Henry's pets picky eaters blocks in today! I put them in the freezer, do those need to stay in the freezer and I just thaw what I need? how do I know how much he needs? and do you think it would help with the constipation?

Quote Originally Posted by faewi View Post
    its the powdered petag esbilac with the white puppy on the can that I see pictures of everywhere, its the one with prebiotics and probiotics, I make a batch 1 part powder 2 parts hot water and shake it around in a water bottle for a long time until there's no clumps and I let it cool in the fridge and we take it out, put what we need in a syringe, and put it back in the fridge. then we warm up the syringe and all. we feed him 10-12 ccs every 4 hours skipping night time. we've been giving him lots of water in-between feedings, he loves the honey water.

we have not tried gas‐x but if itll help then I'm 100% willing to try. I thibk he's gonna die soon even though he's not showing any signs of sickness, he can't stay this way for long.

also I just got the Henry's pets picky eaters blocks in today! I put them in the freezer, do those need to stay in the freezer and I just thaw what I need? how do I know how much he needs? and do you think it would help with the constipation?
    also just to clarify we warm the formula under hot running water, we don't microwave it

Keep offering him water. You can give him mineral oil again or a drop or two of GasX (simethicone). Keep doing the warm water soaks. Instead of honey water you should be using corn syrup like I suggested. There’s something in the corn syrup that seems to help constipation. It’s an old time constipation remedy.

It sounds like you are mixing the formula correctly.

The blocks stay in the freezer and take out a couple of days worth and put them in a little baggie in the fridge. I’d offer him half a block to see if he’ll eat it. They usually just shred them at first.

Is he active? Does he climb around and get exercise?

Is there a reason you haven’t called the vet I suggested? I do not think they will confiscate him, but you can always ask on the phone. I don’t understand, if you think his situation is critical, you’re saying you’d rather let him die than seek help for him?

Keep offering him water. You can give him mineral oil again or a drop or two of GasX (simethicone). Keep doing the warm water soaks. Instead of honey water you should be using corn syrup like I suggested. There’s something in the corn syrup that seems to help constipation. It’s an old time constipation remedy.

It sounds like you are mixing the formula correctly.

The blocks stay in the freezer and take out a couple of days worth and put them in a little baggie in the fridge. I’d offer him half a block to see if he’ll eat it. They usually just shred them at first.

Is he active? Does he climb around and get exercise?

Is there a reason you haven’t called the vet I suggested? I do not think they will confiscate him, but you can always ask on the phone. I don’t understand, if you think his situation is critical, you’re saying you’d rather let him die than seek help for him?
    I never said that, im an 18 year old with no car and pretty noteworthy social anxiety, and I don't have money. ultimately that is up to my mom. I'm doing my best here. panama city is a long drive for someone with no mode of transportation, as well as for a mother that works 12 hours a day. I would never rather let an animal die, we are doing what we can, and we'll see if that vet could suggest anything that hasn't already been tried.

13. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to faewi:

Chirps (03-26-2021), island rehabber (03-26-2021)

I totally understand, I’m sorry, I didn’t have all that info before making my comment.

Please at least call the vet. Others have used her for squirrels which is why I suggested her.

Here is the link to a list of wildlife rehabilitators. It is broken down by counties. Please reach out to the ones closest to you and tell them what’s going on. Maybe one of them can help. Licensed rehabilitators are required to have access to a vet as well. https://myfwc.com/media/5423/license...rsbyregion.pdf

If this baby really hasn’t had a bowel movement in 4 days it seems pretty critical that you may need to find some hands on help for him.

15. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

Chirps (03-26-2021), island rehabber (03-26-2021)

I totally understand, I’m sorry, I didn’t have all that info before making my comment.

Please at least call the vet. Others have used her for squirrels which is why I suggested her.

Here is the link to a list of wildlife rehabilitators. It is broken down by counties. Please reach out to the ones closest to you and tell them what’s going on. Maybe one of them can help. Licensed rehabilitators are required to have access to a vet as well. https://myfwc.com/media/5423/license...rsbyregion.pdf

If this baby really hasn’t had a bowel movement in 4 days it seems pretty critical that you may need to find some hands on help for him.
    there is poop! he's started pooping this morning and we're giving him lot of water, let's hope he keeps pooping!

17. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to faewi:

Buddy (03-26-2021), Chirps (03-26-2021), Rock Monkey (03-26-2021)

Awesome!! That’s wonderful news!!

You did a great job trying every trick in the book to get him to go. Let’s hope this is the beginning of his new normal. It could very well be the change in formula that caused him to become constipated. Keep up the water between his regular feedings.

19. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

Buddy (03-26-2021), Chirps (03-26-2021), stepnstone (03-26-2021)

Just read this thread. HOORAY!!!
    "I hope everyone got or gets their Baby Love today"~Shewhosweptforest

https://www.henryspets.com/1-baby-squirrel-care-guide/

21. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Chirps from:

island rehabber (03-26-2021)

Nice job! He is so cute!!
    Animals are magical....Thank you everyone who tries to help them, save them tirelessly...

thank you all! I gave him a little bit of a solid food block today and he loved it! he was ready for solid food I guess, no shredding just eating. he doesn't have much of an appetite otherwise

24. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to faewi:

Buddy (03-26-2021), Mel1959 (03-26-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by faewi View Post
    thank you all! I gave him a little bit of a solid food block today and he loved it! he was ready for solid food I guess, no shredding just eating. he doesn't have much of an appetite otherwise
    Yeah, when they get really constipated they lose their appetite because there is no more room for anything.