Thread: New person

Default New person

Hi group, it's now been almost 3 weeks since I had a little baby squirrel run-up to me for help. I was walking on a route that I really don't usually do, but on this day I was. I saw this little face, sitting in a small space next to a bus stop. I bent down for him and held out my hand and he came right up to me like, he knew me. I scooped him up and brought him right home.

I believe he is now between 8-9 weeks. He is now doing really well. It was a touch, and go the last 3 weeks with him. This is my first rescue of a wild animal. I've taken care of newborn puppies and cats and cows and goats.

I'm retired but do freelance writing. I am currently working on a picture book for children. I hold two Masters' Degrees that I actually obtained late in life. One is in Creative Writing and the other is in Psychology focusing on Geriatrics. I have a BA in English. They have all been obtained online. My background is in insurance handling Workers Compensation Claims.

I have two grown daughters and four grandchildren.

I love life, family, friends, and animals. I have a close friend who has a husband that is a Pastor and they live on a large piece of land and when the time comes to release my little guy that's who will help me during the process.

This site has been most helpful. Thank you.

2. 5 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to LTNCA.writer:

Buddy (03-23-2021), Diggie's Friend (03-29-2021), island rehabber (03-25-2021), Rock Monkey (03-29-2021), stepnstone (03-26-2021)

Default Re: New person

Hello, nice to meet you! Best wishes to you and your little guy.
    "I hope everyone got or gets their Baby Love today"~Shewhosweptforest

https://www.henryspets.com/1-baby-squirrel-care-guide/

. Glad to have you onboard. How’s Orville doing?

5. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

RockyPops (03-23-2021)

How about some pics and videos....!

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    . Glad to have you onboard. How’s Orville doing?
    Hi, Orville is doing so good now. He is nibbling on his food more and more each day. He still likes his bottle feeding. He gets so scarred with new faces. I am enjoying watching him grow and play and gain strength. Thanks for asking

8. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to LTNCA.writer:

island rehabber (03-25-2021), Mel1959 (03-24-2021)

LTNCA -- glad you and Orville have found us!
    He sure was a lucky little squirrel when you altered your normal route and scooped him up....meant to be .

Since Orville is your first squirrel baby, remember that diet is pretty much Job One through Ten. SO important that his bones and teeth are strong so that he thrives in the wild. We have loads of nutrition information available; if you can't find it in this giant forum just ask -- we love to answer. TSB has been around for 16 years now, and I won't say all of our systems and sub-forums are perfectly organized. We grew organically, like a tree!

Would love to see a pic of Orville. You're in California; is he a ground squirrel? Misplaced Eastern Grey? Western Grey? Gotta know.....

PS: fellow BA English here who ended up in a corporate career ....
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

10. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to island rehabber:

Diggie's Friend (03-29-2021), stepnstone (03-26-2021)

Welcome so glad you found us
    THE SQUIRREL BOARD is the place to help everyone with squirrel questions, squirrel needs and just sharing squirrel info 👍
    for taking in this baby
    Charley Chuckles gone from my arms FOREVER in my heart 8/14/04-3/7/13
    Simon, our time was too short together, but you gave us so much love, be with CC now 3/7/14

The "CHARLEY CHUCKLES MEMORIAL RAIL TOUR" leaves the station choo chooo
    *Deland,FL. *Washington DC *Boston (Back Bay) *Boston (North Station) *Wells,Maine *Albany,NY *New York (Penn Station) *Back to Deland FL. "July 1- July 22" 2013

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...RIAL-RAIL-TOUR Check it out here
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...OW-A-NEW-MOMMY!!!!!
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...RAINBOW-BRIDGE
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...e-called-Simon
    charleychuckles1@gmail.com

I'm not poof reading any of this

Default Re: New person recent picture of Orville

Quote Originally Posted by RockyPops View Post
    How about some pics and videos....!

Name:  Current orvile.jpg
Views: 44
Size:  83.9 KB
    Attached Files Attached Files

13. Serious fuzzy thank you's to LTNCA.writer from:

Buddy (03-28-2021)

Sorry my pic is sideways . I only know that Orville is gray I need to do a google search on the types of squirrels up in northern ca.

This maybe an ignorant question...but I would like to trim his nails but not sure if I should...

That's one cute puppy....err....squirrel you have there!

Looks like your doing a good job.

I dont know about nail trimming. They need them for everything.

16. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to RockyPops:

Chirps (03-29-2021), Tuff (03-29-2021)

Sooo cute!!
    Animals are magical....Thank you everyone who tries to help them, save them tirelessly...

Quote Originally Posted by LTNCA.writer View Post
    This maybe an ignorant question...but I would like to trim his nails but not sure if I should...
    Yes, this is one of the challenges of raising orphan squirrels. They are capable of walking with claws and without, if they are on a flat surface. When they run fast or go vertical or upside down, they deploy the claws.

Say "ow" or "ouch" if Orville does something that hurts. They will learn. They are very emotionally sensitive and will read you better than you thought possible. So, if you want a calm, relaxed squirrel be sure to be calm and relaxed. If you are anxious or scared, Orville will be also.

Most rehabbers get in the habit of wearing long sleeves and long pants, some wear scarves, neck gaitors or hats. This is one instance were wearing glasses come in handy.

Learning to leap and climb is a vital skill for a squirrel. Claws give them the grip that they need to do this. Furthermore, I don't think they would sit still for having their nails filed.

Many rehabbers just get resigned to having scratches on their hands. I guess it depends in part on how tough your skin is.

I would not trim his nails, no. They are essential for his development in climbing and scrambling and latching onto things he is leaping toward. Minimize letting him use you for a tree -- I know, it's hard --- but you want to make sure he does not jump on other people once he is free. This can be a death sentence for a squirrel, or at the very least a huge pain in the butt.

Recently, a fellow rehabber who uses the same release site that I do had to trap, and then transport, a squirrel to another rehabber 50 miles away for re-release. Someone had dumped this baby, not more than 12 wks old, at the release site and he was desperately crawling up any leg he could find. Before some idiot kicked him or something we had to get him out of there. He most definitely was raised by someone who meant well, but let him get far too used to climbing on people. Sorry for the long post but you don't really want to encourage your squirrel to climb all over you anyway.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

20. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to island rehabber:

Buddy (03-30-2021), Mel1959 (03-30-2021)