Thread: Wild Squirrel Hair Loss

Default Wild Squirrel Hair Loss

I noticed two black wilds with significant hair loss on head and back. I’ve been reading many posts about this and have a question. Since I don’t have a pet or a vet, it seems ivermectin is the only option. When I look to purchase this on line, most of what I see is for horses. Would this be the correct one to get? I feed so many every day and really would like to help them if I can. I understand dosing is crucial and will do exactly what is recommended. I will try to get pictures later, but really need to know the exact one to buy.

Default Re: Wild Squirrel Hair Loss

Yes, the 1.87% ivermectin for horses is what you want. Read the label and make sure it contains only ivermectin - ivermectin is commonly given at the same time as another anti-parasitic to horses and some companies combine them to make it easier for the owner. You want only ivermectin. Also, it is flavored. Look for the molasses or apple flavor and if you can avoid it don't get the peppermint. Horses LOVE peppermint but rodents do NOT.

Do take pics and put them up. It is spring and lots of molting is happening right now.

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to CritterMom from:

Mel1959 (03-20-2021)

Thank you for your reply. I think that was the one I saw on line and will definitely purchase it if you think it’s more than molting. I’ve attached a picture, not the best shot,Name:  0FB3373D-8F68-4862-BBBD-6F0610A126BF.jpg
Views: 179
Size:  135.1 KB but he took off so fast.

I would absolutely dose any that look like this.

Dosing: Squirt a little blob out onto a plate. It comes in either paste or gel form. Get a toothpick and half a pecan. Use the toothpick to tease away a bit of the gel or paste the size of an uncooked grain of rice. Preferably use an actual rice grain for comparison - they are pretty small. Once you have built your "rice grain" of ivermectin, use the toothpick to stuff it into the wrinkles on the pecan half. They are deep enough that you can get it in there really well, and even tossing it to him won't result in the meds getting knocked out of the nut - plus they love pecans.

You want to treat them one time every 7-10 days for 3 total doses if you can. It doesn't kill the mite eggs so the 7-10 day wait between doses gives any eggs a chance to hatch so they can be killed. Even one dose will help tremendously, but if you can do the follow ups, do try to.

6. Serious fuzzy thank you's to CritterMom from:

Buddy (03-20-2021)

Thank you for your help. I’ve ordered the paste and will follow your instructions exactly.

8. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Maria C from:

Buddy (03-21-2021)

Since you have some waiting time, start NOW and begin tossing them some pecans so they get used to getting them from you. It will make dosing the right squirrel a LOT easier!