Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Squirrels being poisoned

Default Squirrels being poisoned

Hi guys! Please help, I am desperate for any info. I have now found several dead squirrels in front of this house (I go for daily walks in my neighborhood). They all look the same.. They are missing hair on the scalp and look like they just dropped dead. At first I thought it was just of natural death but I am clearly thinking not now. This old lady is poisoning them! I am so mad! I tried calling the non-emergency line and reported her. The officer came and of course the old hag denied it all (no doubt). I am pretty darn convinced, I mean several dead bodies in the same place over a couple weeks?! I called DNR, the officer said he won't have time till next week and he didn't seem to care really. Is this legal? What can I to stop this scum of a person from doing this? Please help. Also, I don't want to post this, but I took photos of the last squirrel to show as proof to the officers. I also removed his body to bury him as it's not right to have him lay there and rot. She doesn't dispose of them even, just leaves them in front of her house.

Default Re: Squirrels being poisoned

I’m not sure what she may be using for poison, but I read that if you can pour motor oil on top of the poison, or at the entry of a poison box it will discourage any animals from eating or entering.

Be vigilant and continue to be the squeaky wheel in the cog so the officials don’t blow you off.

3. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

Buddy (03-17-2021), jessijuju (04-12-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    I’m not sure what she may be using for poison, but I read that if you can pour motor oil on top of the poison, or at the entry of a poison box it will discourage any animals from eating or entering.

Be vigilant and continue to be the squeaky wheel in the cog so the officials don’t blow you off.

Exactly. Nobody cares and they do blow me off. So the old lady will continue until she's stopped!

Quote Originally Posted by baklagan View Post
    Exactly. Nobody cares and they do blow me off. So the old lady will continue until she's stopped!
    Do you guys know the answer to this.. I recovered one of the squirrels from her property. I have no idea if it's legal. Do you know if something like an autopsy can be conducted to determine the cause of death? Again, nobody seems to care (sheriff or DNR) so I don't know what to do

A vet could probably determine cause of death. Going on their property is illegal. I wonder about a spring trap too, you mentioned a patch of missing hair on the backs of their necks? That could be from a snap trap? But it is also the first place that sees hair loss from the winter fur molt so it could also be that.

Quote Originally Posted by baklagan View Post
    Do you guys know the answer to this.. I recovered one of the squirrels from her property. I have no idea if it's legal. Do you know if something like an autopsy can be conducted to determine the cause of death? Again, nobody seems to care (sheriff or DNR) so I don't know what to do
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

A necropsy can be performed, but I’m sure time would be of the essence and you’d need to find a vet willing to perform it.

Quote Originally Posted by TubeDriver View Post
    A vet could probably determine cause of death. Going on their property is illegal. I wonder about a spring trap too, you mentioned a patch of missing hair on the backs of their necks? That could be from a snap trap? But it is also the first place that sees hair loss from the winter fur molt so it could also be that.
    university can do it, but since it was illegal to get it - they might not help! And time is an issue, who knows how long the poor guy has been there. Hair loss is actually on front of the scalp, kind of above the nose

To answer your question; it appears to be illegal to kill squirrels in Minnesota by means of poisoning. You can contact an officer for assistance.

Taking means capturing, relocating or killing a nuisance animal. You can take an animal using any method except poison, artificial lights, or a motor vehicle.
    https://www.dnr.state.mn.us/livingwi...fe/taking.html

Quote Originally Posted by Diggie's Friend View Post
    To answer your question; it appears to be illegal to kill squirrels in Minnesota by means of poisoning. You can contact an officer for assistance.

https://www.dnr.state.mn.us/livingwi...fe/taking.html
    Guys, update!! So animal control said they got involved and interviewed her again. Her story now changes. She claims she's not poisoning but live trapping..Ahm, explain then the carcasses on the lawn. She claims they die in the cage. And what, she just throws them out??

So now her story does not add up! Overall, she is too dumb to realize she could live trap them and have them removed vs. getting them all killed... I am sure there are other ways. Maybe I should tell her what they are. Can you guys comment on any?

What did Animal Control say about it? It is illegal to leave an animal in a trap without food and water. Maybe you could offer to relocate them for her if she traps them. Ideally it’s not great to relocate squirrels because they are at a disadvantage at their new location, but it’s better than being dead. They have to be relocated at least 5 miles away, I believe. Obviously any mommas can’t be relocated without their babies. Did you happen to look to see if any of the dead squirrels were nursing moms?

The missing hair on top of their heads could be from pushing their snouts through the trap trying to get out.

Poor babies.

What did Animal Control say about it? It is illegal to leave an animal in a trap without food and water. Maybe you could offer to relocate them for her if she traps them. Ideally it’s not great to relocate squirrels because they are at a disadvantage at their new location, but it’s better than being dead. They have to be relocated at least 5 miles away, I believe. Obviously any mommas can’t be relocated without their babies. Did you happen to look to see if any of the dead squirrels were nursing moms?

The missing hair on top of their heads could be from pushing their snouts through the trap trying to get out.

Poor babies.
    They weren't nursing moms I think. I am going to attach what she's doing to these animals. What do you think it is? Sorry it's a bit graphic.
    Animal control is investigating it. So they told me. If poison is involved, she'd have to stop!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

That looks like the injury that is created when they are left in a havahart trap and they are frantic to get out. She could be leaving them in there for days until they die of starvation and dehydration....which is illegal. Did you show the squirrel to animal control?

I have trapped rats to relocate and just in a few hours time from when they’re trapped until I get up in the morning and can relocate them they usually have a little area on their muzzle where they’ve rubbed the fur off from sticking their little nose out the wire squares of the trap.

That looks like the injury that is created when they are left in a havahart trap and they are frantic to get out. She could be leaving them in there for days until they die of starvation and dehydration....which is illegal. Did you show the squirrel to animal control?

I have trapped rats to relocate and just in a few hours time from when they’re trapped until I get up in the morning and can relocate them they usually have a little area on their muzzle where they’ve rubbed the fur off from sticking their little nose out the wire squares of the trap.
    No, not yet. Should I? This is very graphic, but I showed them pics of where the dead ones were on her lawn. I photographed from every angle to show the relation to her house... So she must be out of her mind or something (dementia?) to kill them for days and throw them out on her lawn?! Her reasoning is they get in her garage. All the squirrels look like this.

I also didn't know if I should show it to the authorities as they might pin me as the bad guy as I took it from her property. I just wanted to bury the animal vs having her throw it away.

And you're 100% sure it's illegal, correct???

I would check the legality in your state. Here I was told that a squirrel can be in trap for 72 hrs before anything can be done.

Yes, check the legalities in your state.

My Bushy Tail, you might want to verify that they can be in a trap for that length of time with no food or water. That doesn’t sound right.

My Bushy Tail, you might want to verify that they can be in a trap for that length of time with no food or water. That doesn’t sound right.

So are there any punishments for keeping them in a cage till they die a slow and painful death??? Any laws on this??

It's correct - verified many times.

Quote Originally Posted by MyBushyTail View Post
    It's correct - verified many times.
    Can you please cite your source?

Hello, baklagan. Like others have said, you need to check the legality IN YOUR STATE about live trapping regulations such as how long the animal can be left in the live trap, etc. It seems to vary by state based on others' experiences.

MyBushyTail has good reason to know the regs in PA, but remember that's PA. MN may be different.
    "I hope everyone got or gets their Baby Love today"~Shewhosweptforest

https://www.henryspets.com/1-baby-squirrel-care-guide/

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast