Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Cage?

Question Best Cage?

I was wanting to know what is the best recommended cage to purchase when your squirrel is old / big enough to be placed in one?
    And - at what age would that be?

... got any links?

Mars Guest

Default Re: Best Cage?

Many of us build our own cages. check here for ideas

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...ghlight=caging

others shop here

http://martinscages.com/

your guys......i'd get a small cage for them when they hit five weeks old, possibly before then. they should get at least a couple square feet of space for that one. many people have used rabbit cages, rat cages, etc. but you MUST make sure they can't fit through the bars of that one. it also helps to have a solid bottom (as in, not wire bottom- this hurts their feet, though you could cover it with cardboard.

many humane societies have free cages of that size donated to them.

once they learn how to climb and jump in that cage, you have a couple more options for the hazy age of 8 to 14 weeks. by 14 weeks you'll want a full release cage, as seen in the links mars gave you, but that's a ways off.
    :bounce2thundersquirrel:bounce2

Red face Re: Best Cage?

Thanks for the LINKS...... I will check them out.

I was told that my little ones are probably around 3-4 weeks, therefore, I wanted to be ready when the time comes where they will be more active and needing more room... they are crawling now.

I am one of those people that like to be prepared a head of time.

WELL then...here's some food for thought.

you should probably start looking for their first cage right now. give some time to find the right one- at the right price- and it'll be much better.

very soon after you get that one, start making plans to build the Big One, unless you plan to buy a pre-made.

when we made our cage, we just bought a lot of pre-cut wood, a LOT of chicken wire (mesh wire), a staple gun, a PVC pipe (with cap), two locks, and wire cutters.

then we made space in our backyard and had my aunt and uncle (who have basic building skills) helped to assemble everything.

it took about four hours, with small breaks. honestly, it was kind of fun.

since you're not a rehabber, and this will hopefully be a one-time thing, your cage wouldn't have to be as big as ours (about 3x3x8: it can house seven squirrels).
    :bounce2thundersquirrel:bounce2

Question Re: Best Cage?

Quote Originally Posted by thundersquirrel
    WELL then...here's some food for thought.

when we made our cage, we just bought a lot of pre-cut wood, a LOT of chicken wire (mesh wire), a staple gun, a PVC pipe (with cap), two locks, and wire cutters.

since you're not a rehabber, and this will hopefully be a one-time thing, your cage wouldn't have to be as big as ours (about 3x3x8: it can house seven squirrels).

KEWL!!! - Thanks.....

I will let my husband and son build the cage and we already have most of the items needed for the cage around the house - now we just need to go to Lowes and buy some mesh wire. How many weeks will they be in the smaller wire cage?

Question:
    A Nest Box is not needed until we build the bigger cage that will be used for release - Correct?

I built Peanuts nest box while he was still in the house(in the small cage) that way he'd still have his same comfy, familiar home once I moved him into the release cage. Just took his whole nest box and moved it into the release cage with him in it.

Critter_Queen Guest

I keep mine in a carrier until their eyes open, then it's a VERY small wire cage until they are coordinated enough to scale the walls and top of that, then a little bigger, then really big!

I tend to buy my nestboxes pre-made from Petsmart. They have great, flip-top ones (for captive use only, don't put one in your trees!) with the right sized hole and a perch to help them get in it. You can find them in the bird section, they are cockatiel nesting boxes.

I give mine a nestbox as soon as they are coordinated enough to climb into the hole. First I leave it on the floor of the cage and then move it up as they become more coordinated.

Would this crate work for the babies until we build a bigger one for them later on? - they will be 6 weeks old on Monday.

http://lakeland.craigslist.org/pet/428759888.html

I would use a very low cage from petsmart, this is where I get my cages.
    http://www.martinscages.com/products/cages/flysquirrel/
    I realize once you relase you may never need it again.

Pa. licenced Rehabber

Yeah - I have looked at those kind before, but I am really looking for some thing that will work and yet not cost me an arm and leg - since I will not be keeping the little guys once they are old enough to be released.

I can get the one listed above for $25 - so would it work for the next month or so?
    - then we can build a bigger cage for release and use if they want stay near by after they are gone.

I would not use it.

Pa. licenced Rehabber

Quote Originally Posted by rippie-n-lilgirlsmom
    I would not use it.

Could you explain why? - a litttle FYI for Me.

Mine at that age are put into a low cage where they can climb a little but yet if they fall wont hurt themself.
    It should be able to let light in, so baby can see world around him.
    Look in your local paper maybe a small ferret cage...the bar spacing isnt quite right on ferret cages but will do. If you can get something used it wont cost you as much!

Pa. licenced Rehabber

Thumbs up Re: Best Cage?

Quote Originally Posted by rippie-n-lilgirlsmom
    Look in your local paper maybe a small ferret cage...the bar spacing isnt quite right on ferret cages but will do. If you can get something used it wont cost you as much!

Ok - Thanks...... I will look in Sunday's paper and I will place an Ad on Craigslist as well.

Rhapsody,try freecycle.com as well -- join the chapter near your home and you'll get the lists of things people want to give away.....lots of rehabbers get cages this way and they are free.

Last edited by island rehabber; 09-22-2007 at 01:43 PM.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

Another thing try your local pet shops sometimes they will let people advertise there also vet offices.

Pa. licenced Rehabber

Thumbs up Re: Best Cage?

Quote Originally Posted by island rehabber
    Rhapsody,try freecycle.com as well -- join the chapter near your home and you'll get the lists of things people want to give away.....lots of rehabbers get cages this way and they are free.

Thank YOU - I will look into that site - ASAP!!

What do you think about this cage...... The M&M Twins are 6 weeks old.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...B:WNARL:US:122

Or this one?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA:IT&ih=013

It will really depend on what your plans are: Are you raising to release, over wintering or keeping? If you are raising to release then they will only be in the cage for a couple more months, so I think the first one would be fine. If you are over wintering or keeping then the bigger the better, IMO neither one would be large enough.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast