Thread: Baby squirrel with possible aspiration ammonia

Default Baby squirrel with possible aspiration ammonia

About 4 days ago we rescued two baby squirrels approximate age is about 4 weeks. The female is doing great. The male is not eating well and when he does it comes out of his nose. I turn him upside down to get all the milk out but I think he has aspiration ammonia. I don’t have amoxicillin, but I have cephalexin(500mg) and Clindamycin hcl(300mg). Would either of these work in lieu of amoxicillin.

Default Re: Baby squirrel with possible aspiration ammonia

Quote Originally Posted by Jenny@1078 View Post
    About 4 days ago we rescued two baby squirrels approximate age is about 4 weeks. The female is doing great. The male is not eating well and when he does it comes out of his nose. I turn him upside down to get all the milk out but I think he has aspiration ammonia. I don’t have amoxicillin, but I have cephalexin(500mg) and Clindamycin hcl(300mg). Would either of these work in lieu of amoxicillin.
    Neither of the meds you listed are stated to treat respiratory/lung issures.
    Best AP med is Baytril (animal med) or Cipro (human med. There are other Ab meds that can be used.
    I would call around to family, friends, and see what you can come up with. You only need a pill or two
    and we can tell you if it can be used and how to dilute and dose.

What are you feeding with? Can you hear a clicking sound coming from this baby?
    If you hold baby to ear like a phone can you detect any clicking sound? It would be
    with both inhale and exhale.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to stepnstone from:

Buddy (03-14-2021)

I feed them 3 parts water (rehydration water) to 1 part puppy formula (Esbilac) with a syringe. I only hear the clicking when he is eating so maybe it’s normal? He just doesn’t eat as well as the female which has me worried. I was able to find sulfamethoxazole/Trimethoprim 800-160mg tablets which from what I read is safe for squirrels not sure about the dosage for him. He weighs 73 grams.

Quote Originally Posted by Jenny@1078 View Post
    I feed them 3 parts water (rehydration water) to 1 part puppy formula (Esbilac) with a syringe. I only hear the clicking when he is eating so maybe it’s normal? He just doesn’t eat as well as the female which has me worried. I was able to find sulfamethoxazole/Trimethoprim 800-160mg tablets which from what I read is safe for squirrels not sure about the dosage for him. He weighs 73 grams.
    Don't understand why you are diluting the formula, Esbilac should be mixed 2-1.
    If extra hydration is needed, hydrate in between normal feedings.
    It is normal for some baby's to make noises when eating, this doesn't sound like AP.
    Ab's are hard on a baby's system, I do not recommend treating unless it is necessary.
    That said, Sulfa Tram can be used for respiratory issues. I will send dosing instructions
    to your private messages to have on hand.

Edit: I stand corrected on the use of Clindamycin.
    Although it doesn't specifically mention use for respiratory it could be used in a pinch.
    Among the two Clindamycin and Sulfa tram, Sulfa tram is a broad spectrum antibiotic
    and the better option.
    Last edited by stepnstone; 03-15-2021 at 01:04 AM.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

6. Serious fuzzy thank you's to stepnstone from:

Chirps (03-15-2021)