Thread: Yogurt...so many options!!!

Default Yogurt...so many options!!!

Tuff really doesn’t give two nickels about boo balls anymore, I’ve done a good bit of reading about the probiotics that he really needs in his diet. So his diet is Spring mix (Walmart) I remove the spinach, Boston lettuce, Brussel sprouts, snap peas, green beans, mushrooms, chayote squash (his fav), occasional butternut squash, mushrooms, broccoli, shredded carrot, occasionally a piece of sweet potato. We have started introducing pecans to his diet for release (one every couple weeks), I pick wild greens from my yard which he seems to like a lot..but I did buy some yogurt. So many options here. I bought the OUI yogurt, vanilla and the coconut. I gave him a taste to start with and he wasn’t impressed. When I was trying to figure out what kind to get, it was like a kid at the fair trying to figure out what toy he could get with his tickets...this one? No this one? No...what kind? How much can I feed him? How often? Sugar, no sugar, fat, no fat, dairy, dairy free, greek? You see where I’m going here right?

Default Re: Yogurt...so many options!!!

I have only used two brands of yogurt, Stoneyfield and Liberte’. Both are organic full fat yogurts and vanilla is the preferred flavor, although strawberry and blueberry are also tolerated. Hands down the Liberte’ is the favorite. I’m sure it’s because it has a higher sugar content. It’s very yummy with no tart bite or after taste. The only thing I’ve ever read about yogurts is that full fat is best and there should be no artificial sweeteners.

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

Snicker Bar (03-12-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    I have only used two brands of yogurt, Stoneyfield and Liberte’. Both are organic full fat yogurts and vanilla is the preferred flavor, although strawberry and blueberry are also tolerated. Hands down the Liberte’ is the favorite. I’m sure it’s because it has a higher sugar content. It’s very yummy with no tart bite or after taste. The only thing I’ve ever read about yogurts is that full fat is best and there should be no artificial sweeteners.
    How often can I feed yogurt?

I give yogurt daily to my flyer....about a tsp. size dollop. Sometimes he eats it all and other times just some.

I have always added yogurt to formula for babies, too. I don’t think you can have too much probiotics, I guess the sugar would be the main concern.

6. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

Diggie's Friend (03-14-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    I give yogurt daily to my flyer....about a tsp. size dollop. Sometimes he eats it all and other times just some.

I have always added yogurt to formula for babies, too. I don’t think you can have too much probiotics, I guess the sugar would be the main concern.
    Yes I could definitely see the sugar being an issue. I will see if I can find the kind you are feeding. Ty so much for your help.

Stonyfield" Organic Plain Low-fat Creamy Yogurt, has the lowest amount of sugar I've seen noted for yogurts that only contain naturally occurring sugars; all the same, it's quite tasty! "Green Valley" plain organic yogurt also is lower in sugar content. Instead of feeding yogurt with berries added with sugars added, include organic berries crushed a bit to yogurt that may improve the appeal of the yogurt for a flyers.

Whole milk fat yogurts also appeal to flyers; one organic source, "Maple Hill" is a newer brand on the market. https://maplehill.com/yogurt/
    If your flier is on the plump side, you can always cut it with a low fat or non fat plain organic yogurt to lower the total fat content. For a full fat goat Kefir (liquid like yogurt) from, "Redwood Hill Farms"; liking all milk products that are goat, this one is the best kefir I have ever tasted!

Flyers having a higher metabolic rate, need a higher amount of animal protein than the other species of N.A. tree squirrels. I recall a funny story about a person eating yogurt that had their flyer out gliding, that landed in the yogurt tub; from there on it was hooked on the yogurt and aimed to land in the tub!
    Last edited by TubeDriver; 03-12-2021 at 09:22 PM.

9. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Diggie's Friend:

Mel1959 (03-12-2021), Snicker Bar (03-12-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Diggie's Friend View Post
    Stonyfield" Organic Plain Low-fat Creamy Yogurt, has the lowest amount of sugar I've seen noted for yogurts that only contain naturally occurring sugars; all the same, it's quite tasty! "Green Valley" plain organic yogurt also is lower in sugar content. Instead of feeding yogurt with berries added with sugars added, include organic berries crushed a bit to yogurt that may improve the appeal of the yogurt for a flyers.

Whole milk fat yogurts also appeal to flyers; one organic source, "Maple Hill" is a newer brand on the market. https://maplehill.com/yogurt/
    If your flier is on the plump side, you can always cut it with a low fat or non fat plain organic yogurt to lower the total fat content. For a full fat goat Kefir (liquid like yogurt) from, "Redwood Hill Farms"; liking all milk products that are goat, this one is the best kefir I have ever tasted!

Flyers having a higher metabolic rate, need a higher amount of animal protein than the other species of N.A. tree squirrels. I recall a funny story about a person eating yogurt that had their flyer out gliding, that landed in the yogurt tub; from there on it was hooked on the yogurt and aimed to land in the tub!
    Well since I posted this Tuff (grey squirrel) decided yogurt was pretty good stuff.. I got the jar out of the fridge and he was of course hitching a ride. He ran down my arm and was like Ooohhhh stuck his head in the jar and started eating. Maybe it was more appealing since it belonged to me. I thought we were gonna go to war and I didn’t have on gloves...it would have been bad. So any who’s it I got him his own spoon and he licked it clean. It was the OUI brand vanilla. I also have the coconut we are gonna try today. No luck so far but he is out rambling this morning...he will go inspect it in a couple of hours.
    Last edited by TubeDriver; 03-13-2021 at 05:28 AM.

11. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Tuff:

Buddy (03-13-2021), Diggie's Friend (03-12-2021)

I've always used Stonyfield Organic Plain but whole milk, greek version for Buddy (especially when he was a baby; the first 4 weeks or so, I did the yogurt, egg yolk mix).

Nowadays, he is not so much into yogurt. But he spends all day outside (in his release cage) and recently has been getting a lot of sunshine, as the weather has been improving nicely here.

He also likes Cocoyo, which is coconut yogurt with probiotics. It has 2 grams natural sugar and no added sugars. He likes the plain one but there are variety of them (vanilla etc).

I'm vegan, so that's what I get for myself.

Unfortunately, they are not everywhere. I get Cocoyo from Wholefoods.

https://gtslivingfoods.com/offering/cocoyo/pure-2/
    Animals are magical....Thank you everyone who tries to help them, save them tirelessly...

13. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Buddy:

Diggie's Friend (03-14-2021), Tuff (03-13-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Buddy View Post
    I've always used Stonyfield Organic Plain but whole milk, greek version for Buddy (especially when he was a baby; the first 4 weeks or so, I did the yogurt, egg yolk mix).

Nowadays, he is not so much into yogurt. But he spends all day outside (in his release cage) and recently has been getting a lot of sunshine, as the weather has been improving nicely here.

He also likes Cocoyo, which is coconut yogurt with probiotics. It has 2 grams natural sugar and no added sugars. He likes the plain one but there are variety of them (vanilla etc).

I'm vegan, so that's what I get for myself.

Unfortunately, they are not everywhere. I get Cocoyo from Wholefoods.

https://gtslivingfoods.com/offering/cocoyo/pure-2/
    So update well I haven’t had a chance to go yogurt shopping at all. OUI is what we have and he is eating it like yesterday’s pizza. He loves it. Vanilla and the coconut has been a pretty good hit here in Tuff’s world but hopefully tomorrow I can go search for yogurt here in our one horse town..lol

15. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Tuff from:

Buddy (03-14-2021)

You can try to make your own yogurt with probiotic pills too. There are tons of videos on youtube. You can make yogurt from regular milk or coconut milk.
    Animals are magical....Thank you everyone who tries to help them, save them tirelessly...

17. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Buddy from:

Tuff (03-18-2021)

Here's a quick video... You can add vanilla extract, a little bit maple syrup etc. if you'd like too (probably after it is fermented).

https://youtu.be/saA0FhqDnL4

19. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Buddy from:

Tuff (03-18-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Buddy View Post
    Here's a quick video... You can add vanilla extract, a little bit maple syrup etc. if you'd like too (probably after it is fermented).

https://youtu.be/saA0FhqDnL4
    I just saw this ty so much for that..I will look into that for sure!!!

21. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Tuff from:

Buddy (03-19-2021)