Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Feeding feedback needed

Default Re: Feeding feedback needed

Quote Originally Posted by LTNCA.writer View Post
    Orville does not stand still long enough to really read the scale.
    That is a typical problem. You can weigh a small box (or something), write down that weight, and then place Orville inside the box and this will give you the weight of Orville and the box. Next, just take a calculator and subtract the weight of the box from the total. What remains will be Orville's weight.

Some digital scales also have a "tare" button. This is also usually the power button. If you put the box on the scale and briefly press the "tare" button it will zero the scale with the box on it. If you put Orville inside the box after having done this the digital scale will show Orville's weight. However, with this method, each day you will have to hit "tare" every time you put the empty box on the scale.

So there are two ways to weigh the constantly-on-the-go Orville.

Can you post a picture of the scale with it turned on?

Salter makes a number of different models of digital scales. (Orville doesn't need to be in the picture or on the scale.)

Quote Originally Posted by stepnstone View Post
    Got it. Sounds good.
    11.4 ounces = 323 grams
    Feeding between 5-7%
    5% = 16.1 cc's - 6% = 19.3 cc's - 7% = 22.6 cc's
    Thank you for this breakdown, I'll have my friend help me with the numbers. I struggled through college math of any kind. I had to always get tutors to pass the mandatory statistic and calculus courses. I don't even try to catch on anymore...

Thank you for this breakdown, I'll have my friend help me with the numbers. I struggled through college math of any kind. I had to always get tutors to pass the mandatory statistic and calculus courses. I don't even try to catch on anymore...
    Name:  scale.JPG
Views: 210
Size:  22.6 KB

4. Serious fuzzy thank you's to LTNCA.writer from:

Rock Monkey (03-31-2021)

Name:  scale.JPG
Views: 210
Size:  22.6 KB
    Thank you for posting a picture of the scale. It looks like an older model. It is probably better made than what they sell currently.

On the front I can see the "tare" button on the left and the "on/off" on the right, but the resolution of the picture isn't high enough to make out any other details. There should be something about "units" somewhere. It might possibly be on the bottom.

1 cc = 1 ml

1 cc of water weighs approximately 1 gram.

1 ounce = 28.34 grams.

11.4 ounce x 28.34 grams/ounce = 323 grams (Orville's Weight)

5% of body weight (of Orville) = 323 g x .05 = 16.15 g is approximately equal in mass to 16.15 ml of formula.
    6% of body weight (of Orville) = 323 g x .06 = 19.38 g is approximately equal in mass to 22.61 ml of formula.
    7% of body weight (of Orville) = 323 g x .07 = 22.61 g is approximately equal in mass to 22.61 ml of formula.

So you just put Orville's most recent weight into the above three equations.

6. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Rock Monkey from:

Buddy (04-02-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Rock Monkey View Post
    Thank you for posting a picture of the scale. It looks like an older model. It is probably better made than what they sell currently.

On the front I can see the "tare" button on the left and the "on/off" on the right, but the resolution of the picture isn't high enough to make out any other details. There should be something about "units" somewhere. It might possibly be on the bottom.

1 cc = 1 ml

1 cc of water weighs approximately 1 gram.

1 ounce = 28.34 grams.

11.4 ounce x 28.34 grams/ounce = 323 grams (Orville's Weight)

5% of body weight (of Orville) = 323 g x .05 = 16.15 g is approximately equal in mass to 16.15 ml of formula.
    6% of body weight (of Orville) = 323 g x .06 = 19.38 g is approximately equal in mass to 22.61 ml of formula.
    7% of body weight (of Orville) = 323 g x .07 = 22.61 g is approximately equal in mass to 22.61 ml of formula.

So you just put Orville's most recent weight into the above three equations.
    Thank you so much for sticking with me. I really appreciate it. Orville loves the powdered formula and I am slowly introducing him to coconut, walnuts, carrots, apples (without skin), almonds, banana, just a little organic granola, acorns, and I think that's it. In two days I will have my squirrel block from Henrys.

Go easy on the nuts. They are considered a treat and should be limited....especially if he hasn’t even started eating block yet. You want him to eat the block really well before he weans himself off formula and is given veggies and fruits. I don’t offer any nuts till my guys are out in the release cage at 14 weeks old. This way I don’t have to worry about them being stashed or any nut aggression.

9. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

Buddy (04-02-2021), island rehabber (04-01-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    Go easy on the nuts. They are considered a treat and should be limited....especially if he hasn’t even started eating block yet. You want him to eat the block really well before he weans himself off formula and is given veggies and fruits. I don’t offer any nuts till my guys are out in the release cage at 14 weeks old. This way I don’t have to worry about them being stashed or any nut aggression.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

11. Serious fuzzy thank you's to island rehabber from:

Mel1959 (04-01-2021)

Okay! Good to know about the nuts. Thank you.

13. Serious fuzzy thank you's to LTNCA.writer from:

Mel1959 (04-01-2021)

Regarding the scale, does the silver handle below the 'tare' button move? That might change the scales settings including the 'units' displayed.

You can also try some cooked butternut squash or sweet potato. Cooking it makes it easier to digest.

15. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Rock Monkey from:

Buddy (04-02-2021)

Orville is a bit all over the place with his eating likes and dislikes. He is not real fond of the block food. I saw one type on Henry's site that mentions "picky" so I'm going on the idea that this would be for picky eaters. I'm ordering it today. The scale I'm currently using allows me to put an object on the scale, let it weigh it and then place what actually needs weighing to read.

At this point, I've got to get Orville to start eating block food. I'm playing a game with him on who can hold out the longest! He is begging for food that he wants over what he should be eating. He is also preferring water over his formula.

17. Serious fuzzy thank you's to LTNCA.writer from:

Rock Monkey (04-07-2021)

We call what you’re going through, “tough love”. Yes, order the picky blocks, they are the most well liked, followed by the hazelnut blocks. It is no different than the kids at the dinner table that refuse to eat their veggies....it’s all about who holds out the longest. Stand your ground and once you get the picky blocks I hope he will come around.

19. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

Buddy (04-05-2021), Rock Monkey (04-07-2021)

Keep holding out.

https://henryspets.com/healthy-diet-for-pet-squirrels/

Experiment with different vegetables found on the above list. If Orville doesn't like them, you can always eat them.

The items in group three seem to be better liked, but need to be fed in balanced quantities.

Keep holding out.

https://henryspets.com/healthy-diet-for-pet-squirrels/

Experiment with different vegetables found on the above list. If Orville doesn't like them, you can always eat them.

The items in group three seem to be better liked, but need to be fed in balanced quantities.
    Thank you for the list. Orville had his first day out to explore the backyard. He is very afraid of everything and everyone, but he is full of energy and playfulness.

Orville is ready to explore the outdoors because he now has his block food for picky eaters. He isn't really liking formula anymore. I let him outdoors until he gets scared and wants to come inside. His little nails are tearing up my skin because he likes to run all up and down me . I'm really torn as to where to seek an outdoor life for him. My neighborhood has too much traffic and cats. My good friend has the perfect place but it is a distance from my home and she is not always healthy enough to tend to Orville's needs if need be. We have a rehabilitation place for birds and wildlife that is located on a large piece of land. I have also thought to call an animal shelter to ask what their opinion is. Orville is very independent but he needs to be watched and rescued when he gets frightened.

What are you'alls thoughts? Thank you.

First, I don’t think it’s a good idea for you to let him outside. He may scamper up a tree and not come back down because he’s too frightened. We never recommend allowing them outside without a cage until they are prepared and ready to be released.

How old is Orville? The fact that he’s frightened should tell you that he’s not prepared for a life in the trees yet. Are you familiar with the slow release method? Here’s a link that will explain it. https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...-How-to-Sticky

Singleton squirrels do better if they are released at an older age...in fact all squirrels do IMO.

The animal shelter will not know what to do with him and would probably euthanize him. It may not be easy to find a rehabilitator that will release for you but I’d definitely go that route. Reach out to Mary Cummins at Animal Advocates 323-651-1336. She’s in the Los Angeles area and may be able to help or direct you to someone who can.

Please don’t let Orville outside anymore, he may take off and you’ll never see him again. That is not the way for him to be introduced to a life in the trees.

24. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

Buddy (04-09-2021), Rock Monkey (04-11-2021)

First, I don’t think it’s a good idea for you to let him outside. He may scamper up a tree and not come back down because he’s too frightened. We never recommend allowing them outside without a cage until they are prepared and ready to be released.

How old is Orville? The fact that he’s frightened should tell you that he’s not prepared for a life in the trees yet. Are you familiar with the slow release method? Here’s a link that will explain it. https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...-How-to-Sticky

Singleton squirrels do better if they are released at an older age...in fact all squirrels do IMO.

The animal shelter will not know what to do with him and would probably euthanize him. It may not be easy to find a rehabilitator that will release for you but I’d definitely go that route. Reach out to Mary Cummins at Animal Advocates 323-651-1336. She’s in the Los Angeles area and may be able to help or direct you to someone who can.

Please don’t let Orville outside anymore, he may take off and you’ll never see him again. That is not the way for him to be introduced to a life in the trees.

Okay! So, before reading this I went outside in the backyard to work on a fence. Orville went up a large tree and I kept my eyes on him I stayed outside talking with my neighbor and after about a half-hour I went to the bottom of the tree and held out my hands to him like I do to let him know that I'm going to be picking him up. He knows my voice and I think he knows his name. I called for him and he came to me. As I carried him into the house he complained a lot and even more when I put him in his cage to get food and water.

I think he was around 7 weeks when I found him. I think he is around 13 weeks old. My daughter and I trimmed his nails because they hurt the skin when he climbs on me.

I will read into soft releases and get in contact with Mary on Monday. For the last two days, Orville and I have gone in the back yard and he always stayed close to me and when he wanted back into the house he went to the glass door. This is what I thought would happen today, but he ventured up the tree.

That is proof positive that if you continue to take him outside he may take off up a tree and not come back down to you. What you’ve done then is a hard release with a squirrel that may be ill equipped to deal with the dangers of a life in the trees. It is best to not release him until he is 14-16 weeks old, or older. Especially because he’s a singleton....you should allow him to be older when you finally release him.

After all the time and energy you put into raising him, why would you not want to ensure that he has the best chance possible for survival?

27. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

Buddy (04-11-2021), Rock Monkey (04-11-2021)

That is proof positive that if you continue to take him outside he may take off up a tree and not come back down to you. What you’ve done then is a hard release with a squirrel that may be ill equipped to deal with the dangers of a life in the trees. It is best to not release him until he is 14-16 weeks old, or older. Especially because he’s a singleton....you should allow him to be older when you finally release him.

After all the time and energy you put into raising him, why would you not want to ensure that he has the best chance possible for survival?
    I'm so glad the little guy trusted me and came down to me when I called him. He's staying put inside the house for now.

29. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to LTNCA.writer:

Buddy (04-11-2021), Mel1959 (04-11-2021)

If you really want to take him outside, first put him in a cage and keep him in that cage and then go outside.

This way he can get some sun and hear and see the sights and sounds of the outdoor world.

If you let him loose outside, you are literally rolling the dice with his life each time. His squirrel instincts are stronger than his bond to you. Many others have made the same, well intentioned mistake, but the risk are massive and cumulative. A proper slow release at the appropriate time will vastly increase his odds of survival out in the world.

31. 5 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Rock Monkey:

Buddy (04-11-2021), island rehabber (04-12-2021), LTNCA.writer (04-11-2021), Mel1959 (04-11-2021), sundoesshine (04-11-2021)

If you really want to take him outside, first put him in a cage and keep him in that cage and then go outside.

This way he can get some sun and hear and see the sights and sounds of the outdoor world.

If you let him loose outside, you are literally rolling the dice with his life each time. His squirrel instincts are stronger than his bond to you. Many others have made the same, well intentioned mistake, but the risk are massive and cumulative. A proper slow release at the appropriate time will vastly increase his odds of survival out in the world.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast