Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Feeding feedback needed

Default Re: Feeding feedback needed

Okay, I'll switch out the formula. Yicks!

2. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to LTNCA.writer:

Buddy (04-02-2021), Mel1959 (03-19-2021)

Default Re: Feeding feedback needed. Question

Quote Originally Posted by LTNCA.writer View Post
    Okay, Orville just woke up and so I took a deep breath, and put him down, and now he is running around exploring things in the living room. He seems to be really enjoying himself. I feel better now.
    Question please; I was assured by the pet store that the powder formula and the liquid formula are equal in nutrition, so my question is is the reason for giving 1 serving powder to two parts water (instead of three parts water) is to allow the squirrel more nutrition? Because you can't really give extra nutrition from the liquid formula. Thank you in advance.

You are believing an employee of a big box pet store, that probably has zero experience with the formula needs of a squirrel versus the combined 75+ years of experience of licensed wildlife rehabbers??!

The composition of the liquid Esbilac IS NOT THE SAME as the composition of the powdered Esbilac. We have seen it time and time again that the liquid Esbilac upsets the intestines of squirrels, resulting in diarrhea. The POWDERED VERSION of Esbilac is used in multiple zoos and wildlife facilities. Why do you think they use the powdered version versus the liquid?? Because it works for wildlife and the liquid doesn’t. Please remember that Powdered Esbilac used for wildlife is being used off label....that doesn’t change the fact that it works, but trust me....Joe blow at PetSmart is completely clueless about raising wildlife.

There is no need beyond the first 24 hours to dilute the powdered Esbilac with 3 parts water. I’m not sure why this is even an issue. After the first 24 hours an infant squirrel needs to be transitioned to full strength formula (1 part powder/ 2 parts water) because they need the nutrients of the formula, not a watered down version. Rehydration can be added BETWEEN feedings if it is needed.

5. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

Buddy (04-02-2021), Grinderhead (03-29-2021), Rock Monkey (03-27-2021), stepnstone (03-26-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    You are believing an employee of a big box pet store, that probably has zero experience with the formula needs of a squirrel versus the combined 75+ years of experience of licensed wildlife rehabbers??!

The composition of the liquid Esbilac IS NOT THE SAME as the composition of the powdered Esbilac. We have seen it time and time again that the liquid Esbilac upsets the intestines of squirrels, resulting in diarrhea. The POWDERED VERSION of Esbilac is used in multiple zoos and wildlife facilities. Why do you think they use the powdered version versus the liquid?? Because it works for wildlife and the liquid doesn’t. Please remember that Powdered Esbilac used for wildlife is being used off label....that doesn’t change the fact that it works, but trust me....Joe blow at PetSmart is completely clueless about raising wildlife.

There is no need beyond the first 24 hours to dilute the powdered Esbilac with 3 parts water. I’m not sure why this is even an issue. After the first 24 hours an infant squirrel needs to be transitioned to full strength formula (1 part powder/ 2 parts water) because they need the nutrients of the formula, not a watered down version. Rehydration can be added BETWEEN feedings if it is needed.
    Thank you for all your knowledge and expertise. I'm just an ignorant person with zero experience with wildlife who happened upon a helpless baby squirrel who ran to me asking for help. I'm just trying to keep him alive at this point.

I completely understand the position you’re in. All I’m trying to do is help you keep him alive. My point is that the folks on this board recommend what is tried and true based on their experience and knowledge. There’s no blue print here. Someone who works in a pet store does not have the experience with wildlife that the folks on this board have. That’s why it’s frustrating for us when we share what we’ve known to work and it’s disregarded and not followed. The squirrel is the one who suffers. ....and we hate to see squirrels suffer.

8. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

Buddy (04-02-2021), stepnstone (03-26-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    I completely understand the position you’re in. All I’m trying to do is help you keep him alive. My point is that the folks on this board recommend what is tried and true based on their experience and knowledge. There’s no blue print here. Someone who works in a pet store does not have the experience with wildlife that the folks on this board have. That’s why it’s frustrating for us when we share what we’ve known to work and it’s disregarded and not followed. The squirrel is the one who suffers. ....and we hate to see squirrels suffer.
    Well said! Gotcha.

10. Serious fuzzy thank you's to LTNCA.writer from:

Mel1959 (03-21-2021)

Default Re: Feeding feedback needed. New picture of Orville

[ATTACH]317853
    Attached Images Attached Images   

12. Serious fuzzy thank you's to LTNCA.writer from:

Chirps (03-26-2021)

Orville is a Western Gray Squirrel

Orville is beautiful!

Good pics.
    I do want to ask what will sound like a strange request but...
    Could you post a picture of Orville's stomach including genital area?
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

Quote Originally Posted by stepnstone View Post
    Orville is beautiful!

Good pics.
    Will do. He is sleeping for the night now, but tomorrow I will post a pic. Not strange at all

16. Serious fuzzy thank you's to LTNCA.writer from:

stepnstone (03-27-2021)

Orville is beautiful!

Good pics.
    Can you see this?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

18. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to LTNCA.writer:

Buddy (04-02-2021), stepnstone (03-27-2021)

Just based on the pictures on the couch, he looks good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLjR...relsandmorellc

This a good video regarding feeding technique and related matters.

Also, Walmart sells digital scales for about $15 if you don't already have one.

Orville is a Western Gray Squirrel
    Orville is definitely a boy and he is adorable! We don’t get very many western gray squirrels on here.

22. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

stepnstone (03-28-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Rock Monkey View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLjR...relsandmorellc

This a good video regarding feeding technique and related matters.

Also, Walmart sells digital scales for about $15 if you don't already have one.
    Hi, I got my hands on a Salter digital scale. Orville is 11.4 today. This is the first time I have weighed him. He moves a lot and really fast.
    I watched the video and I am so thankful my little guy was older thus stronger. I can see I had made so many mistakes in feeding him properly.

24. Serious fuzzy thank you's to LTNCA.writer from:

Rock Monkey (03-29-2021)

Hi, I got my hands on a Salter digital scale. Orville is 11.4 today. This is the first time I have weighed him. He moves a lot and really fast.
    I watched the video and I am so thankful my little guy was older thus stronger. I can see I had made so many mistakes in feeding him properly.
    What does the 11.4 indicate?
    How much does he weigh?
    He's not 11.4 grams and certinally not 11.4 pounds.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed

I am so glad that you found the video helpful.

These digital scales can show the weight in a variety of different units. My scale has a "unit" button and an "on/off" button. (Check your instructions if need be.) If you press the "unit" button it will cycle through the various units of measurement. Keep clicking until you see the small "g" next to the measured weight. This will be the squirrel's weight in grams. This is the unit of measurement that we use on this site.

Having the scale allows you to see if your squirrel is gaining weight (or losing weight). (The weight is a simple, basic measure of the squirrel's health.) Keep a daily log of the weight somewhere. It allows you do the proper math to know how much formula to give your squirrel, too much formula or too little can both cause serious problems. Let us know if you have any problem figuring out how much formula to feed your squirrel.

What does the 11.4 indicate?
    How much does he weigh?
    He's not 11.4 grams and certinally not 11.4 pounds.
    Hi, I think it means oz. the scale belongs to a close friend who is going to help me with the weight and food portions for Orville. However, she had a death in the family and had to go out of town. I was hoping by giving the type of scale someone could help me. Orville does not stand still long enough to really read the scale.

Hi, I think it means oz. the scale belongs to a close friend who is going to help me with the weight and food portions for Orville. However, she had a death in the family and had to go out of town. I was hoping by giving the type of scale someone could help me. Orville does not stand still long enough to really read the scale.
    Got it. Sounds good.
    11.4 ounces = 323 grams
    Feeding between 5-7%
    5% = 16.1 cc's - 6% = 19.3 cc's - 7% = 22.6 cc's
    Last edited by stepnstone; 03-29-2021 at 06:24 PM.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed

29. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to stepnstone:

Buddy (04-02-2021), Mel1959 (03-29-2021), Rock Monkey (03-29-2021)

Stepnstone means 5%=16ccs, 6%=19ccs and 7%=22ccs.

31. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

Buddy (04-02-2021)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast