Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Feeding feedback needed

Default Feeding feedback needed

Hello,
    I am currently feeding goat's milk to a squirrel I think is about 7 weeks old. Today he has a tiny bit of diarrhea, so I will push back on the amount of milk I am currently feeding him and add some sugar water to it. What do you all think? Thank you

Default Re: Feeding feedback needed

7 weeks old is too old for goats milk formula unless it is powdered puppy Esbilac goats milk formula. We don’t ever recommend straight goats milk and homemade goats milk formula is only a temporary formula for those babies under 3-4 weeks old. It does not contain nearly enough nutrients to sustain a growing squirrel. You will need to go to Tractor Supply or a pet store and buy POWDERED ESBILAC PUPPY FORMULA with an expiration date of 20/21 or later OR order FOX VALLEY 20/50 from an online source. All puppy formulas are not the same, even if they’re made by the same company.

The diarrhea is probably a result of the incorrect formula or you are overfeeding. Squirrels are fed 5-7% of their weight at each feeding. So a 100gr squirrel would be feed between 5-7ml per feeding.

Offer the homemade pedialyte solution, but for no more than 24 hrs. in between feedings. Homemade pedialyte recipe: 1 cup warm water, 3/4 Tablespoon sugar, 1/4 teaspoon salt.

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

Buddy (03-10-2021)

Smile Re: Feeding feedback needed

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    7 weeks old is too old for goats milk formula unless it is powdered puppy Esbilac goats milk formula. We don’t ever recommend straight goats milk and homemade goats milk formula is only a temporary formula for those babies under 3-4 weeks old. It does not contain nearly enough nutrients to sustain a growing squirrel. You will need to go to Tractor Supply or a pet store and buy POWDERED ESBILAC PUPPY FORMULA with an expiration date of 20/21 or later OR order FOX VALLEY 20/50 from an online source. All puppy formulas are not the same, even if they’re made by the same company.

The diarrhea is probably a result of the incorrect formula or you are overfeeding. Squirrels are fed 5-7% of their weight at each feeding. So a 100gr squirrel would be feed between 5-7ml per feeding.

Offer the homemade pedialyte solution, but for no more than 24 hrs. in between feedings. Homemade pedialyte recipe: 1 cup warm water, 3/4 Tablespoon sugar, 1/4 teaspoon salt.
    Thank you, I was told by an employee at Petco that goat's milk from the store was ok. But I will go out now and get powdered puppy milk. The little guy has his eyes open and a fluffy tail. But he does not want to eat and only wants his milk. He eats and sleeps! He seems to act like a young baby, but he looks like an adult. He is a real cutie!!

A picture would be helpful. I hope you got Esbilac powdered puppy formula.

6. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

Buddy (03-10-2021)

A picture would be helpful. I hope you got Esbilac powdered puppy formula.
    Hi, okay here is a picture of Orville. What age do you all think he is?

I did a feeding of pedialyte, and now on puppy formula. Doing good. He still does not want to eat but only his milk.

I have a picture of my little guy, but I do not know how to submit it.

Quote Originally Posted by LTNCA.writer View Post
    I have a picture of my little guy, but I do not know how to submit it.
    How to upload pictures explained:
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...e-upgraded-TSB
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

10. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to stepnstone:

LTNCA.writer (03-11-2021), Mel1959 (03-11-2021)

[QUOTE=stepnstone;1329341]How to upload pictures explained:
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...e-upgraded-TSB[/QUOTName:  Orville.jpg
Views: 195
Size:  46.6 KB

here is Orville; how old does he seem to be? Thank you

It’s hard to tell from the picture. Is Orville a gray or a Fox squirrel? Is he sitting up and holding food to eat? His tail appears to be bushy. I’d guess that he was about 7-8 was old.

At 7-8 weeks old he should be taking formula 3 times a day. Did you order a rodent block from Henrys Pets online? They are the most well liked....especially the Picky Eater variety. This should be his first solid food. We offer a rodent block as soon as their eyes open at 5 weeks.

What formula did you get for him? He looks a little dehydrated in the picture. Offer him slightly sweetened water BETWEEN his normal formula feedings.

Smile Re: Feeding feedback needed * detailed answers

It’s hard to tell from the picture. Is Orville a gray or a Fox squirrel? Is he sitting up and holding food to eat? His tail appears to be bushy. I’d guess that he was about 7-8 was old.

At 7-8 weeks old he should be taking formula 3 times a day. Did you order a rodent block from Henrys Pets online? They are the most well liked....especially the Picky Eater variety. This should be his first solid food. We offer a rodent block as soon as their eyes open at 5 weeks.

What formula did you get for him? He looks a little dehydrated in the picture. Offer him slightly sweetened water BETWEEN his normal formula feedings.

Thank you for all your feedback. I think he is a gray squirrel. These seem to be the only ones around this area (way up towards northern California which is a little bit outside Oregon Border). Now he is on puppy formula from Petco which is Esbilac 2nd. I guessed his age to be about 7 weeks too. In the picture, he is laying on my arm. I went to PetSmart last night looking for rodent block but they didn't have any. So I will order from Henrys Pet on-line. I am giving him more sweetened water because his pooh is yellow mush. It had been pebbles. He has gained weight since having him which is about a week now. I sit with him in the morning sun for about 5 to 8 minutes. He has become way more active now. He was so week and dehydrated when I found him. A grown squirrel had been on the street dead a few days before I found him. It was probably his mother. In the picture, he probably was a bit dehydrated since I had just found him a few days before. I hope he isn't now. But I watch his pee output and it seems good. I wake him around 2 A.M. for one last feeding before the morning time. He has roughly 3 to four feedings a day. I feed him until he is full. I watched a utube video on this site on how to hold the nipple. I ordered a really good one on-line after the bottle and syringe didn't work out so well. He kept asperating so I would wipe his nose and quickly hold him upside down.

That is not the correct food for him. This is undoubtedly why he has diarrhea. You must get regular Esbilac powdered formula. There is no substitution for this that can be purchased from a big box store. You can order Fox Valley 20/50 from Henrys online, but the Esbilac 2nd is not going to work. When squirrels are growing so quickly they need the proper nutrients. If some of the necessary nutrients are lacking then they can end up with Metabolic Bone Disease which not only weakens their bones but it can kill them if left untreated.

I compare the needs of a baby squirrel to the needs of a human baby. We don’t feed human babies straight cows milk because it doesn’t contain the necessary nutrients for them to grow properly. It’s the same for squirrels. Esbilac has been used for some time as a substitute for squirrel moms milk, but it was not without issues, too. About 18 months ago they changed their source of calcium and baby squirrels were developing MBD, had broken bones and were dying. They corrected the problem, but you can see how one change impacted the lives of many squirrels.

The same is true for using Esbilac 2nd. It’s a weaning formula, so it’s meant to reduce the caloric and nutritional content of the formula as you get your dog eating more traditional food. This is not what you want for a baby squirrel.

PLEASE get the correct formula and then don’t feed him all he wants. Weigh him on a gram scale that can be purchased from Walmart for about $20 and feed him 5-7% of his weight at each feeding. He may want more than that which is fine but increase the amount gradually, this is how you keep him from having diarrhea. Also, he doesn’t need a 2am feeding. Just 3-4 feedings a day.

15. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

Buddy (03-13-2021), Chirps (03-18-2021), stepnstone (03-26-2021)

Smile Re: Feeding feedback needed

That is not the correct food for him. This is undoubtedly why he has diarrhea. You must get regular Esbilac powdered formula. There is no substitution for this that can be purchased from a big box store. You can order Fox Valley 20/50 from Henrys online, but the Esbilac 2nd is not going to work. When squirrels are growing so quickly they need the proper nutrients. If some of the necessary nutrients are lacking then they can end up with Metabolic Bone Disease which not only weakens their bones but it can kill them if left untreated.

I compare the needs of a baby squirrel to the needs of a human baby. We don’t feed human babies straight cows milk because it doesn’t contain the necessary nutrients for them to grow properly. It’s the same for squirrels. Esbilac has been used for some time as a substitute for squirrel moms milk, but it was not without issues, too. About 18 months ago they changed their source of calcium and baby squirrels were developing MBD, had broken bones and were dying. They corrected the problem, but you can see how one change impacted the lives of many squirrels.

The same is true for using Esbilac 2nd. It’s a weaning formula, so it’s meant to reduce the caloric and nutritional content of the formula as you get your dog eating more traditional food. This is not what you want for a baby squirrel.

PLEASE get the correct formula and then don’t feed him all he wants. Weigh him on a gram scale that can be purchased from Walmart for about $20 and feed him 5-7% of his weight at each feeding. He may want more than that which is fine but increase the amount gradually, this is how you keep him from having diarrhea. Also, he doesn’t need a 2am feeding. Just 3-4 feedings a day.
    I am so glad for this posting board. I am leaving right now to get the right formula. Thank you so much.

17. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to LTNCA.writer:

Chirps (03-18-2021), island rehabber (03-27-2021), Mel1959 (03-13-2021)

Default Re: Feeding feedback needed. new picture

Name:  IMG_0071.jpg
Views: 159
Size:  91.9 KB

My baby squirrel today!

19. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to LTNCA.writer:

Buddy (03-19-2021), Chirps (03-26-2021), sundoesshine (03-19-2021)

He looks good. Are you weighing him daily or every other day and seeing a steady weight gain? This is important and how we gauge that a baby is getting enough food.

May I suggest that you replace the towel in his cage with a baby blanket or some polartec fleece. I buy those super soft baby blankets at Ross when they put them on clearance. They’re only about $3 or $4. You can also get polartec fleece from Walmart or JoAnns fabrics. No sewing required, just cut the fleece and put it in his cage. The edges won’t unravel. They can get their toenails caught in the tiny loops in towels so it’s best to avoid them.

You can offer plain water between feedings if you think he needs it. Has the diarrhea stopped?

I see he’s eating something. Did you order some Henrys rodent blocks from Henrys Pets online? Some type of rodent block should be his first food. Once he’s eating that well then you can move on to green veggies.

You did a good job with him. He’s lucky to have found you.

Exclamation Re: Feeding feedback needed

He looks good. Are you weighing him daily or every other day and seeing a steady weight gain? This is important and how we gauge that a baby is getting enough food.

May I suggest that you replace the towel in his cage with a baby blanket or some polartec fleece. I buy those super soft baby blankets at Ross when they put them on clearance. They’re only about $3 or $4. You can also get polartec fleece from Walmart or JoAnns fabrics. No sewing required, just cut the fleece and put it in his cage. The edges won’t unravel. They can get their toenails caught in the tiny loops in towels so it’s best to avoid them.

You can offer plain water between feedings if you think he needs it. Has the diarrhea stopped?

I see he’s eating something. Did you order some Henrys rodent blocks from Henrys Pets online? Some type of rodent block should be his first food. Once he’s eating that well then you can move on to green veggies.

You did a good job with him. He’s lucky to have found you.
    Hi, maybe I spoke too soon! Or I may be being overly paranoid... The diarrhea has stopped. I ordered two different kinds of rodent blocks from Henrys and put a 2-day rush on it. I have only one fleece blanket which just got washed so I will pick up more. No, I have not been weighing him...the reason being I thought I was smart enough to notice any changes in his weight and I'm not smart enough to use weights and measuring sticks (I'm terrible with math). But I will get a scale and ask for you-alls help in how to read the weights. Today, he seems weak. He is having a hard time staying in a sitting position. I sat in the sun with him and really felt his little skeleton and it seems bony to me. I think he should have more muscle mass. Yesterday my friend came over who will be the one I will introduce him to for a soft release because she has lots of land and trees and almost no cats; he was actually afraid of her since she is a stranger to him. All and all I was so pleased with how things have been going. I'm not sure if my little guy is getting the right amount of protein...

Super cute!!
    Animals are magical....Thank you everyone who tries to help them, save them tirelessly...

Did you get powdered puppy Esbilac? Are you mixing it 1 part powder to 2 parts hot water? If possible let it sit in the fridge after being mixed for a few hrs and shake it occasionally. How much is he eating at each feeding? Not knowing what his weight is makes it difficult to know if you’re feeding enough. After you feed him is his belly nicely rounded but still squishy and not tight?

Please answer the questions so we can help you.

24. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

stepnstone (03-26-2021)

I have been feeding him puppy Esbilac (in a can all ready mixed). When I first started I was using the powder but I was using 1 scoop powder with 3 parts water. I went to the already mixed formula because I wasn't sure about the serving mixes. I've been going through other folk's postings and watching some videos and I notice their squirrels are playing a lot. Yesterday Orville was the most active since finding him. He has one countertop in the kitchen that I let him run around on. I don't think he is getting enough running around and playtime...

I have been feeding him puppy Esbilac (in a can all ready mixed). When I first started I was using the powder but I was using 1 scoop powder with 3 parts water. I went to the already mixed formula because I wasn't sure about the serving mixes. I've been going through other folk's postings and watching some videos and I notice their squirrels are playing a lot. Yesterday Orville was the most active since finding him. He has one countertop in the kitchen that I let him run around on. I don't think he is getting enough running around and playtime...

Okay, Orville just woke up and so I took a deep breath, and put him down, and now he is running around exploring things in the living room. He seems to be really enjoying himself. I feel better now.

Okay, Orville just woke up and so I took a deep breath, and put him down, and now he is running around exploring things in the living room. He seems to be really enjoying himself. I feel better now.
    You MUST go back to the powdered Esbilac formula. The liquid is NOT THE SAME. Please...we can’t help you get Orville raised if you don’t follow our instructions! Mix the powdered puppy Esbilac (not Esbilac 2nd or any other type of powdered puppy formula) 1 part powder to 2 parts hot water.....just like the instructions on the can tell you to do.

The liquid does not contain the same level of nutrients and causes loose stool!

28. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

Buddy (03-19-2021), Chirps (03-26-2021), stepnstone (03-26-2021)

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast