Thread: Adolescent on a Hunger Strike!

Default Adolescent on a Hunger Strike!

Posting on behalf of a friend and his sweet little baby (Ember).

Ember is an eastern gray that was taken under care January 12, 21. He had fallen from a tree face first. There was blood around his nose and mouth, he was believed to have a spinal injury or spinal trauma causing paralysis of the rear legs. Thankfully that all went away when the swelling went down. He was about 12 weeks. He made it through the first night. After a few days of infant ibuprofen and love he started to come around and look much less confused. Eating like a little piggy (and pooping like one too). He would eat his Henry blocks and vegetables like a champ and loved yogurt. He got treated for fleas and other parasites during this time.

He is now a happy, fun-loving little spitfire! He has decided to go on a hunger strike..... He will maybe take 1 or 2 bites out of something then drop it. He refuses his henry blocks, his veggies, anything healthy. A no-nonsense and tough love policy has been implemented. ZERO nuts. ZERO. But he still won't eat his veggies. He will eat a grape if offered and I know grapes aren't "unhealthy" so to speak, but he cant live on grapes. He was consistently putting weight on in the beginning, but is now losing weight during this darn hunger strike. His bear dad have tried the following (not in any particular order: veggies- cucumber, bok choy (he used to like it), tomatoes, green beans, snow peas, kale, broccoli, sugar snap peas, green peas, squash, celery, red cabbage, yogurt (3 flavors) the list goes on and on...). The frustration is mounting as he is losing weight. He is energetic and lightning fast! No signs of lethargy but he is losing weight. He still drinks water and frequently urinates. But the bowel movements have slowed as a result of not eating.

Running out of ideas other than to give him nuts (not happening). Any ideas??

2. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Papabear90 from:

frankc (03-09-2021)

Default Re: Adolescent on a Hunger Strike!

You’re right...you have to be stronger than him and not give in. Provide the blocks first thing in the morning when he’s most hungry. Have you tried different varieties of Henrys blocks? My flyer used to like the hazelnut ones, now he won’t touch them and will only eat the picky ones.

Once the blocks are in the cage in the morning walk away. If the blocks are eaten then Mid morning you could offer some healthy greens but limit the fruit to a piece. Same for late afternoon, but you could add a piece of squash or sweet potato, broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage (red and green)etc.

As for other foods to try. It seems I’ve had multiple squirrels that aren’t gung ho for greens. But some that I had success with were baby kale, arugula, radicchio, water cress, chicory, endive. I’ve read that some squirrels love chayote squash, which doesn’t even look like a squash. Mine never ate it, but I always tried it. I had better luck with kabocha squash over butternut or acorn, but others say their squirrels love butternut squash. For my flyer I buy those bagged salad kits...the ones that aren’t leafy greens. It’s called Sweet Kale. It has chopped kale, cabbage, broccoli stalk, Brussels sprouts and chicory. It’s already chopped so super convenient. There’s also a dressing, glazed cranberries and pumpkin seeds in the package. I use these but share a pumpkin seed or cranberry occasionally. It’s really a crap shoot, so I feel your friends pain.

As for yogurt, my flyer likes vanilla full fat yogurt. I only buy one brand...it’s called Liberte’. It’s sweet which is why he probably likes it.

4. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

frankc (03-09-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Papabear90 View Post

Ember is an eastern gray that was taken under care January 12, 21. He had fallen from a tree face first. There was blood around his nose and mouth, he was believed to have a spinal injury or spinal trauma causing paralysis of the rear legs. Thankfully that all went away when the swelling went down. He was about 12 weeks. He made it through the first night. After a few days of infant ibuprofen and love he started to come around and look much less confused. Eating like a little piggy (and pooping like one too). He would eat his Henry blocks and vegetables like a champ and loved yogurt. He got treated for fleas and other parasites during this time.

He is now a happy, fun-loving little spitfire! He has decided to go on a hunger strike..... He will maybe take 1 or 2 bites out of something then drop it. He refuses his henry blocks, his veggies, anything healthy. A no-nonsense and tough love policy has been implemented. ZERO nuts. ZERO. But he still won't eat his veggies. He will eat a grape if offered and I know grapes aren't "unhealthy" so to speak, but he cant live on grapes. He was consistently putting weight on in the beginning, but is now losing weight during this darn hunger strike. His bear dad have tried the following (not in any particular order: veggies- cucumber, bok choy (he used to like it), tomatoes, green beans, snow peas, kale, broccoli, sugar snap peas, green peas, squash, celery, red cabbage, yogurt (3 flavors) the list goes on and on...). The frustration is mounting as he is losing weight. He is energetic and lightning fast! No signs of lethargy but he is losing weight. He still drinks water and frequently urinates. But the bowel movements have slowed as a result of not eating.

I would offer him baby food? Maybe boo balls? With like just a few nuts. I did this with Tuff and cut the nut proportion down to almost nothing. It would give him nutrients...I would trying offering him formula with some baby food in it, did this with Tuff also cause he went on a strike from formula. Just some things I did when he was going on strike with foods.

He got treated for fleas and other parasites during this time.

Maybe sharing more details of how he was treated and with what exactly *may* provide a clue!?!?

Avocado is another favorite (no skin, no pits).

I hand out Henry's to each squirrel first thing before AM and PM feeding. Anything handed out makes it special and something they want... this works much better with groups of squirrels in the same cage or singletons surrounded by groups of squirrels all fighting over whatever is being handed out.

I had the same experience as Mel with the Hazelnut Henry's... I pretty much stick to the Picky and Wild (never underestimate the importance of variety).

7. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Spanky:

Buddy (03-09-2021), frankc (03-09-2021)

Hi everyone. There are some questions about Ember (AKA) Superman and his treatment. Papabear90 did a great job in posting about him for me but I'll try to add what I can about him. I had asked Papabear to post on my behalf as time right now is not something I have to be able sit down and post much. I am taking gcare of my mother who is 98 and in her last statges of life so to do anything is very hard right now. However Ember is always attended to along with my Mom.

The story on Ember a little boy and now my love. I was contacted about Ember in Jan, 2021 arround the 12th. The woman told me she found him by a tree bleeding from his mouth and nose and could not move his back legs. Things being the way they are hear I told her what to do and explained he would also be in shock so to keep him warm,in a dark quite place, and see if he made the night and call me the next day. Well my little superman made it throught the night and the next day Ember was brought to me. He was in shock as expexted and on examination I found no open cuts or and sign of bite marks. The tip of his tail was missing but again no sign of any attack other than that.

He was not dehydrated. I cleaned the blood from around his mouth and nose but at this timee was not bleeding anymore thank God!!
    After cleaning him up he it was time for the scale. He was awake also. He was very dosel at this time not trying to move much and when i went to pick him up in a small blanket he sunk his insicciors into my finger so I knew then he had fight and did not ignor his instict to protect himself.

For the next three days I keep him quite and administered 0.15 ml of infant ibuprofen. Being that he was showning improvement and no other signs I decided to wait on giving him any other meds. After three days he was like a 150 percent!! He was moving around no problems with his legs and very aleart. His weight was 0.60 kg or 1.1 pounds on intake. He did not want to take formular at all so I started him on vegies. He loved green beans and could not eat enough of them. He was also eating just aboutt any veggie I would give him along with his favorit a Henrys picky eater block. That was the first thing he would go for. I took his weight again in a few days and he was up to 0.65kg or 1,43 Lbs. I was so excited he was doing so good. Then he got on this really picky stage eating. He no longer want Green Beans or any other vggie except a little bite here and there. He lost all interest in the Henrys Block. I was also giving him yogut with probiotics his favorit was called banilla he loved that and would eat just about all of a tablespoon full. now he won't touch that.

After he stopped eating I took his weight again and he dropped to 1.32 lbs. He is very very active. I bought him a Critter nation double decker cage and he enjoys that, however he dose not spend much time in there only at night. I squirrel proofed his room and he gets to run around all day long and he dose. he loves to play and he always is after me to play with him and has showed no signs of slowing down. He jumps high and runs like crazy all over the place thats why he got the AKA of Superman. Thanks to Papabear he has black walnuts to much on for his teeth, and I give him oak sticks I pick from outside. He loves chewing them up. All the veggies Papabear 90 memtioned have been given and so much more tried. I just threw out about $40.00 worth of veggies and yogut. Name a veggie and I'll bet he has tried it. He still like a slice of pear but has stopped eat grapes and apple.He is also give calcium carbonate and Henrys Protein at a 2 to one ratio. I am lost on what to do next. I do give him some nuts as a treat Almonds or English wall nuts in a shell his favorit. He eats those with no problem at all.

Sorry I di not mean to wrte a book on this but I really need help!!! I don't want this baby going down hill 0n me. Right now the way things are I think I need him more that he needs me. Any help or suggestions would be so greatly accepted.

Please forgive me for any typos, I am trying to get this done as fast as I can.

Thank you everyone and stay safe. God bless
    Squirrels Do Matter

If you Were Lucky Enough To Have Loved and Taken Care Of A Squirrel Then
    You Showed Him Or Her More Love Than They Would Have Ever Known In The Wild
    __________________________________________________ ______________________
    Member Of WRAM ( Wildlife Rehabbers association Massachusetts)

Quote Originally Posted by Spanky View Post

Maybe sharing more details of how he was treated and with what exactly *may* provide a clue!?!?

Avocado is another favorite (no skin, no pits).

I hand out Henry's to each squirrel first thing before AM and PM feeding. Anything handed out makes it special and something they want...
    He was treated with Capstar. He used to eat avocado and loved it, but now won't touch it.

My babies at home LOVE LOVE LOVE to be hand fed too!

10. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Papabear90 from:

frankc (03-09-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Tuff View Post
    I would offer him baby food? Maybe boo balls? With like just a few nuts. I did this with Tuff and cut the nut proportion down to almost nothing. It would give him nutrients...I would trying offering him formula with some baby food in it, did this with Tuff also cause he went on a strike from formula. Just some things I did when he was going on strike with foods.
    He used to eat boo balls and applesauce too, not anymore, unfortunately. Formula and fruit is a great idea. Ill have his bear dad give it a try.

12. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Papabear90 from:

Tuff (03-09-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by frankc View Post
    Hi everyone. There are some questions about Ember (AKA) Superman and his treatment. Papabear90 did a great job in posting about him for me but I'll try to add what I can about him. I had asked Papabear to post on my behalf as time right now is not something I have to be able sit down and post much. I am taking gcare of my mother who is 98 and in her last statges of life so to do anything is very hard right now. However Ember is always attended to along with my Mom.

The story on Ember a little boy and now my love. I was contacted about Ember in Jan, 2021 arround the 12th. The woman told me she found him by a tree bleeding from his mouth and nose and could not move his back legs. Things being the way they are hear I told her what to do and explained he would also be in shock so to keep him warm,in a dark quite place, and see if he made the night and call me the next day. Well my little superman made it throught the night and the next day Ember was brought to me. He was in shock as expexted and on examination I found no open cuts or and sign of bite marks. The tip of his tail was missing but again no sign of any attack other than that.

He was not dehydrated. I cleaned the blood from around his mouth and nose but at this timee was not bleeding anymore thank God!!
    After cleaning him up he it was time for the scale. He was awake also. He was very dosel at this time not trying to move much and when i went to pick him up in a small blanket he sunk his insicciors into my finger so I knew then he had fight and did not ignor his instict to protect himself.

For the next three days I keep him quite and administered 0.15 ml of infant ibuprofen. Being that he was showning improvement and no other signs I decided to wait on giving him any other meds. After three days he was like a 150 percent!! He was moving around no problems with his legs and very aleart. His weight was 0.60 kg or 1.1 pounds on intake. He did not want to take formular at all so I started him on vegies. He loved green beans and could not eat enough of them. He was also eating just aboutt any veggie I would give him along with his favorit a Henrys picky eater block. That was the first thing he would go for. I took his weight again in a few days and he was up to 0.65kg or 1,43 Lbs. I was so excited he was doing so good. Then he got on this really picky stage eating. He no longer want Green Beans or any other vggie except a little bite here and there. He lost all interest in the Henrys Block. I was also giving him yogut with probiotics his favorit was called banilla he loved that and would eat just about all of a tablespoon full. now he won't touch that.

After he stopped eating I took his weight again and he dropped to 1.32 lbs. He is very very active. I bought him a Critter nation double decker cage and he enjoys that, however he dose not spend much time in there only at night. I squirrel proofed his room and he gets to run around all day long and he dose. he loves to play and he always is after me to play with him and has showed no signs of slowing down. He jumps high and runs like crazy all over the place thats why he got the AKA of Superman. Thanks to Papabear he has black walnuts to much on for his teeth, and I give him oak sticks I pick from outside. He loves chewing them up. All the veggies Papabear 90 memtioned have been given and so much more tried. I just threw out about $40.00 worth of veggies and yogut. Name a veggie and I'll bet he has tried it. He still like a slice of pear but has stopped eat grapes and apple.He is also give calcium carbonate and Henrys Protein at a 2 to one ratio. I am lost on what to do next. I do give him some nuts as a treat Almonds or English wall nuts in a shell his favorit. He eats those with no problem at all.

Sorry I di not mean to wrte a book on this but I really need help!!! I don't want this baby going down hill 0n me. Right now the way things are I think I need him more that he needs me. Any help or suggestions would be so greatly accepted.

Please forgive me for any typos, I am trying to get this done as fast as I can.

Thank you everyone and stay safe. God bless

I believe it was mentioned that he is around 12 weeks correct? Tuff was still on formula at this time but acted like he just didn’t care for it. I reached out to Snickerdoodle for help with him because we had other issues going on (I’ve had Tuff since he was a pinkie) so starting at 12 weeks is something I’m not familiar with. Bare with me here, I order fox valley 20/50. Started him on that. Well let me tell ya this little dude ate it like no bodies business, once I could hide his calcium in it. I got baby food organic apple and butternut squash. I mixed a tad of that in his formula to cover up the dosing of calcium. He started out a tad slow then we were at 30 cc’s a day including Henry’s blocks then boo balls. Search for the recipe on this forum. I reduced the quantity of nuts in the boo balls, because they are counter productive for MBD treatment. Tuff still loves butternut squash!!!! Actually any kind of squash!!!! We got in an altercation over the lid to the container of butternut squash. In saying that to say this. I pay very close attention to what he eats and doesn’t. If he doesn’t eat is Brussel sprouts one day I leave them out the next couple. I believe they have a sense of what they need and don’t, and yours being 12 weeks already I am sure was being fed what momma brought, supplemented with milk. I have about a half a bag of fox valley 20/50 I can send you, it should do him for a while. We don’t need it, and I am sure it is worth a shot!!!! I also have a couple nipples I can send if you wanna try and syringe feed him, if not just put it in a bowl and see if he will take it that way. They seem to tell you what is right and wrong if you pay really close attention. I would have caught on with Tuff’s issues much sooner if I would have listen to him. Just suggestion.

14. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Tuff:

frankc (03-09-2021), Papabear90 (03-09-2021)

Apologies, he was aprox. 10 weeks when taken into care, so aprox 18 weeks right now.

16. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Papabear90:

frankc (03-09-2021), Tuff (03-09-2021)

I’m trying to understand and follow this thread, so it will help if you can answer these questions. When you got Ember he was 12 weeks old? But he never took formula? He’s now how old? He used to eat a wide variety of foods, but now he doesn’t? You’re still giving him nuts?

First, and most importantly, STOP GIVING HIM ANY NUTS!! It is counterproductive to what you are trying to accomplish. Squirrels are smart. If he knows nuts are forthcoming he will hold out until they do. A squirrel will NOT starve himself if healthy food options are available. He WILL eventually eat them, but it may take several days for him to realize that this food is all he’s gonna get. You have to implement tough love and stick to it no matter how much he begs for nuts.

With his diet, or lack of it, I see Ember as a prime candidate for MBD. Giving ANY NUTS when other healthy foods are not being consumed is flooding his system with high levels of phosphorous and little calcium. This is the perfect equation to create MBD. Metabolic Bone disease doesn’t happen overnight and can’t be corrected overnight, but if it’s not corrected it will kill him.

Continue to provide Henrys blocks, cut them in half so it’s not so wasteful if he doesn’t eat them. If he doesn’t eat them and they’ve dried out gather them up and put them in a ziploc bag and put in the freezer. Use them as a base for boo balls by grinding them and adding baby food and avocado or coconut oil to hold them together. Provide healthy veggies. I believe I previously wrote that I buy a Sweet Kale salad kit from Sams wholesale club or Walmart that contains, kale, chicory, Brussels sprouts and broccoli already diced up. This would be far less wasteful and expensive (and time consuming) to buy a bag and put some in a dish so it’s readily available for him along with his half Henrys block.

I am not trying to be mean, but you are enabling his picky eater behavior by giving nuts. Your will power has to be stronger than his.

18. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

Tuff (03-09-2021)

Apologies, he was aprox. 10 weeks when taken into care, so aprox 18 weeks right now.
    Then he would probably at this point be very weened. Tuff is at about 20 weeks I believe I lose count. We are on count down to soft release. Tough love is the best thing for him. I know he may lose weight in the beginning but he needs his veggies and such. I’ve wasted more money than I can count trying to figure out what to feed Tuff to keep things interesting. He hates asparagus, won’t touch a cucumber, won’t eat iceberg lettuce, kale, or romaine. He will eat the spring mix from Walmart I pick out the spinach..I’ve been picking wild plants dandelion greens and such from my yard and he eats that great. No leaves or buds yet, trees are still naked. He gets a small piece of raw butternut squash every few days. Occasionally he will eat mushrooms but not his favorite. Chayote is his favorite. Cabbage of any kind!!! Green beans he likes them frozen??? Carrots sometimes. It has been a lot of tough love with him, but he has only turned down his Henry’s wild bites a few times but we just kept giving them to him. He will eat them when he wants them. Did you guys mention rodent blocks being in his diet? I don’t recall that.

Have you tried unusual fruits like cutie oranges, mango or fresh coconut. Ours went crazy over mango so that's what I use in boo balls. I was using peeled pear, but he got tired of them so I rotate the fruits.

I've never had an issue getting our Very picky jr to eat boo's and he was RAised on nuts before I knew they were bad. I do use fresh fruit though as ours doesn't like sweets which I think baby food may tend to be. I feel the tartness is what he likes so I use 1/4" slice of fruit, just enough to get the dry mixture mushy. Ember likes grapes, so just peel a few and use that instead of the baby food. You could try tweaking with different fruits in small amounts with a mortar and pestle first.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    I’m trying to understand and follow this thread, so it will help if you can answer these questions. When you got Ember he was 12 weeks old? But he never took formula? He’s now how old? He used to eat a wide variety of foods, but now he doesn’t? You’re still giving him nuts?

First, and most importantly, STOP GIVING HIM ANY NUTS!! It is counterproductive to what you are trying to accomplish. Squirrels are smart. If he knows nuts are forthcoming he will hold out until they do. A squirrel will NOT starve himself if healthy food options are available. He WILL eventually eat them, but it may take several days for him to realize that this food is all he’s gonna get. You have to implement tough love and stick to it no matter how much he begs for nuts.

With his diet, or lack of it, I see Ember as a prime candidate for MBD. Giving ANY NUTS when other healthy foods are not being consumed is flooding his system with high levels of phosphorous and little calcium. This is the perfect equation to create MBD. Metabolic Bone disease doesn’t happen overnight and can’t be corrected overnight, but if it’s not corrected it will kill him.

Continue to provide Henrys blocks, cut them in half so it’s not so wasteful if he doesn’t eat them. If he doesn’t eat them and they’ve dried out gather them up and put them in a ziploc bag and put in the freezer. Use them as a base for boo balls by grinding them and adding baby food and avocado or coconut oil to hold them together. Provide healthy veggies. I believe I previously wrote that I buy a Sweet Kale salad kit from Sams wholesale club or Walmart that contains, kale, chicory, Brussels sprouts and broccoli already diced up. This would be far less wasteful and expensive (and time consuming) to buy a bag and put some in a dish so it’s readily available for him along with his half Henrys block.

I am not trying to be mean, but you are enabling his picky eater behavior by giving nuts. Your will power has to be stronger than his.
    Hi Mel. Since Ember came into my care he was started on and eating veggies no nuts. He did not want formular and did very well eating the veggies I gave him along with his Picky eater from Henry's. I also gave him small amounts of fruit like maybe pealed apple pear or grape.
    After awhile I would give him a almond or a shelled walnut as a treat but no steady diet of nuts of any kind. We know the end results of that could be oh lord!! He now just dose not want anything he takes a bite or two and then he is done with that. I bought just about every kind of veggie I can get my hands on. He also stopped eating the yogut I was feeding him with probiotics and he used to love that along with the Henry blocks that was the first thing the blocks he would eat and eat it all. Now like the veggies he has no interest. When I got him he was 0.60 grams or 1.1 pounds. He the whent to 0,65 0r 1,43 pounds then down to 1.32 lbs and now as of today he is at 1.21lbs. I am really worried about him. However if I was to offer him a nut he would devower it.
    Squirrels Do Matter

Hi Frank, he will continue to lose weight until he begins to eat the other good food. He will not starve himself to death. Knowing that he will eat a nut if you were to give it to him right now should tell you that most likely there is nothing physically wrong with him. If you want confirmation of it then you should take him to a vet and have blood work done, as well as an exam.

I can think of no physical ailment that would cause a squirrel to not eat good food and only eat nuts....other than stubbornness.

It appears it is a battle of wills and Ember is winning so far.

https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...h-Picky-Eaters

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    Hi Frank, he will continue to lose weight until he begins to eat the other good food. He will not starve himself to death. Knowing that he will eat a nut if you were to give it to him right now should tell you that most likely there is nothing physically wrong with him. If you want confirmation of it then you should take him to a vet and have blood work done, as well as an exam.

I can think of no physical ailment that would cause a squirrel to not eat good food and only eat nuts....other than stubbornness.

It appears it is a battle of wills and Ember is winning so far.
    Hi again Mel. I fully agree!! he is stubbon for sure!! I did not think anything was wrong with him I think he is just fine except the weight going down. He has fresh veggies in his cage all the time if only he would eat them. He is like a little hell fire so full of energy and playful. I am going to try the baby food cerial deal with formular' He eats like a bite of this and that but I noticed if he dose eat something at all it's in the late afternoon and then not much. He is so precious I just want him healthy and safe. So much love here.
    Squirrels Do Matter

24. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to frankc:

Mel1959 (03-09-2021), Tuff (03-09-2021)

Keep offering the block, too. Rodent block is imperative.

26. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

TubeDriver (03-09-2021)

Tough love and blocks are what is needed!
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

28. Serious fuzzy thank you's to TubeDriver from:

Mel1959 (03-09-2021)