Thread: Wild Squirrel Feedings

Default Wild Squirrel Feedings

I have A LOT of wilds who come to my yard daily. In the mornings I put out various nuts, chunks of coconut and occasionally chunks of avocado. My problem is HHB and birds. I cut the blocks in half and put them in a plastic cup trying to make it harder for the birds to get. I have a bird feeder and throw bread out. But the birds will always manage to get to the blocks. Are there any suggestions on how to put these out and deter the birds from getting to them? Any idea will be welcome as these blocks are not cheap.

Default Re: Wild Squirrel Feedings

I make boo balls for my outside squirrels out of Envigo Harlan Teklad rodent block ground into a powder then combined with some ground nuts, Fox Valley or Esbilac powder, and held together with a variety of veggie/fruit baby food combos and coconut or avocado oil. The mixture should be firm and stick together but not be gooey. I roll them into little balls and feed my yard squirrels. Yes, the birds do eat them, but they are not nearly as expensive as Henrys blocks. I save the Henrys blocks for injured or any nursing momma squirrels.

I think there are various boo ball recipes in the nutrition section.

3. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

Buddy (04-17-2021), Chirps (04-19-2021)

Toss them to the squirrels. Like a sports event with the birds being on the other team. (Or right next to the squirrels so they don't get hit.)

5. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Rocky1:

Buddy (04-17-2021), Chirps (04-19-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Maria C View Post
    I have A LOT of wilds who come to my yard daily. In the mornings I put out various nuts, chunks of coconut and occasionally chunks of avocado. My problem is HHB and birds. I cut the blocks in half and put them in a plastic cup trying to make it harder for the birds to get. I have a bird feeder and throw bread out. But the birds will always manage to get to the blocks. Are there any suggestions on how to put these out and deter the birds from getting to them? Any idea will be welcome as these blocks are not cheap.
    I bought a "bird proof squirrel feeder". It is a box that you mount on the tree. The top is hinged so the squirrel has to lift it up with his head to get to the goodies. Birds don't seem to be able to figure it out. My squirrels and chipmunk figured it out in no time.

7. Serious fuzzy thank you's to JoanneInWis from:

island rehabber (04-24-2021)

Thanks for the suggestions! I’ve tried tossing them and the squirrels will take it, sniff it and then throw it back down. The feeder sounds interesting, can I ask where you bought it? But now with spring here, I notice them eating the buds from various trees, so I assume their diet is more varied and they’re getting their nutrition from nature.

9. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Maria C from:

Buddy (04-18-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Maria C View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions! I’ve tried tossing them and the squirrels will take it, sniff it and then throw it back down. The feeder sounds interesting, can I ask where you bought it? But now with spring here, I notice them eating the buds from various trees, so I assume their diet is more varied and they’re getting their nutrition from nature.
    I believe that I ordered it from a wildlife supply catalog. But I also think that I have seen them in pet food stores.