Thread: Squirrel release

Default Squirrel release

We are getting ready to release our 8 month old female that we overwintered. The best place for her release cage is on our brick patio next to a big old oak tree. Should we put dirt or mulch on the bottom of her release cage to prevent any injuries from a fall? Thanks

Default Re: Squirrel release

I don’t have either on my release cage floor. The bottom of the cage is wire, right? I would highly doubt that she will fall. Please give her heavy duty branches to climb and plenty of time in the release cage to acclimate, especially because she’s a singleton. Make sure there is leaf coverage before releasing her, too.

3. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

Buddy (03-08-2021), MapleRidgesquirrel (03-14-2021)

The bottom of the cage is wire and we will definitely wait until leaf coverage for her release. Should I wait until leaf coverage to put her outside into her release cage or can she be put inside her release cage before the leaves come out? Thanks

She can be put inside the release cage as long as your temperatures are not too low at night. Make sure she has a nest box in the release cage and it’s nice to transfer whatever she was sleeping in inside the house to the release cage, too. Then she has options. Because she’s a singleton she may need some extra time in the RC.

6. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

MapleRidgesquirrel (03-14-2021)

Should I stop feeding the wilds before she goes into her release cage? I have several wilds that come to the area we are putting her release cage in. I have not stopped feeding them yet. Thats going to be really hard since there are several that eat out of my hand. Thanks

That is a not a bad idea. Spring is coming so their natural foods are starting to reappear anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by MapleRidgesquirrel View Post
    Should I stop feeding the wilds before she goes into her release cage? I have several wilds that come to the area we are putting her release cage in. I have not stopped feeding them yet. Thats going to be really hard since there are several that eat out of my hand. Thanks
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

9. Serious fuzzy thank you's to TubeDriver from:

MapleRidgesquirrel (03-15-2021)