Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: possibly paralyzed-(30grm Pink)

Default possibly paralyzed-(30grm Pink)

I am not sure how much of an emergency this is, but I have a little infant squirrel (no longer a true pinky, but also no real fur other than on her nose) that seems to be paralyzed in her legs and tail, and has not yet peed or pooped since arriving less than 24 hours ago... I am really hoping that its just that her bowels and things are just stunned a little... I have rubbed and massaged and done my best to encourage her to go, but nothing so far... Her sister who was found with her has gone to the bathroom each time I have fed them, which at this point has been three times four times now... this will be my first paralyzed rescue, so any advice is welcomed!!!

Default Re: possibly paralyzed

This is a tough one. Let me give it to you straight, apologies in advance:

If she has no movement or feeling (do a pinch test) in her hind legs or tail, there is a good possibility that her spine is fractured. If this is the case, 90% of the time the baby will die within 72 hrs as the organs shut down. The fact that she is neither peeing nor pooping tells us this is very likely.

HOWEVER, to keep her comfortable and also just in case she makes it, you need to express her bladder. Make a peace sign with your two fingers and then place them on either side of her belly when she is on her back. Gently but firmly run your fingers down the length of her body to the hips. Repeat many times, stimulating in between. You should get urine.

It's sad to see paralysis in such a young baby, but sometimes youth is on their side. Give her a chance.

Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

3. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to island rehabber:

cleolovelee (03-06-2021), Mel1959 (03-06-2021), Nancy in New York (03-07-2021), stepnstone (03-06-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by cleolovelee View Post
    I am not sure how much of an emergency this is, but I have a little infant squirrel (no longer a true pinky, but also no real fur other than on her nose) that seems to be paralyzed in her legs and tail, and has not yet peed or pooped since arriving less than 24 hours ago... I am really hoping that its just that her bowels and things are just stunned a little... I have rubbed and massaged and done my best to encourage her to go, but nothing so far... Her sister who was found with her has gone to the bathroom each time I have fed them, which at this point has been three times four times now... this will be my first paralyzed rescue, so any advice is welcomed!!!
    Do you have any prednisone, Gabapentin, or Metacam?
    The quicker she gets this into her system the
    better, if this is just a sprain
    What are you using for pain?
    What are you feeding her.
    A few years I had a little one with no movement in his
    front paws. None My vet put him on Gabapentin and
    Metacam. He responded beautifully and I overwintered
    him and released in the late spring.
    I have a video on the board somewhere from intake
    to release I'll try to find it and post it if I have any luck.
    Good luck with this little one.

5. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Nancy in New York:

cleolovelee (03-06-2021), island rehabber (03-07-2021), Mel1959 (03-06-2021), stepnstone (03-06-2021)

I haven’t given her anything yet as far as meds go... i have meloxicam, naproxen, amoxicillin, prednisone, ondanzetron, cyclobenzapeine... all human meds... for animals i have metronidazole.... i know you mentioned prednisone... i have tons of that.... she’s 30g....

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy in New York View Post
    Do you have any prednisone, Gabapentin, or Metacam?
    The quicker she gets this into her system the
    better, if this is just a sprain
    What are you using for pain?
    What are you feeding her.
    A few years I had a little one with no movement in his
    front paws. None My vet put him on Gabapentin and
    Metacam. He responded beautifully and I overwintered
    him and released in the late spring.
    I have a video on the board somewhere from intake
    to release I'll try to find it and post it if I have any luck.
    Good luck with this little one.

I'm no expert at all, but wondering if a warm water bath and massage below her belly would help? Especially, if she is just constipated... It was helpful when Buddy was a pinky and got constipated a few times.

Hope she makes it!!
    Animals are magical....Thank you everyone who tries to help them, save them tirelessly...

8. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Buddy from:

cleolovelee (03-06-2021)

... i know you mentioned prednisone... i have tons of that.... she’s 30g....
    We need to to know the strength of the prednisone in order to dose...

10. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Spanky:

cleolovelee (03-06-2021), Mel1959 (03-06-2021), Nancy in New York (03-07-2021)

it’s a 10mg tab
    Quote Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
    We need to to know the strength of the prednisone in order to dose...

12. Serious fuzzy thank you's to cleolovelee from:

Mel1959 (03-06-2021)

it’s a 10mg tab
    I will work this up and send dosing in a private message.

Dosage sent to pm

Dose anyone think that adding Gabapentin AND Metacam would be
    a good option?
    Last edited by Nancy in New York; 03-07-2021 at 06:45 AM.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

14. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to stepnstone:

cleolovelee (03-06-2021), Nancy in New York (03-07-2021)

i did the pinch test... no reaction in her hind legs but she is curling her tail slightly... i’ve been trying to express her bladder but not having any luck... i put a light behind her abdomen and i can see a large amount of what i am assuming to be urine built up.... about the size of a marble... and her little abdomen is distended....

Quote Originally Posted by island rehabber View Post
    This is a tough one. Let me give it to you straight, apologies in advance:

If she has no movement or feeling (do a pinch test) in her hind legs or tail, there is a good possibility that her spine is fractured. If this is the case, 90% of the time the baby will die within 72 hrs as the organs shut down. The fact that she is neither peeing nor pooping tells us this is very likely.

HOWEVER, to keep her comfortable and also just in case she makes it, you need to express her bladder. Make a peace sign with your two fingers and then place them on either side of her belly when she is on her back. Gently but firmly run your fingers down the length of her body to the hips. Repeat many times, stimulating in between. You should get urine.

It's sad to see paralysis in such a young baby, but sometimes youth is on their side. Give her a chance.

Default Re: possibly paralyzed-(30grm Pink)

When trying to express the bladder, start up higher than you think you should. Your thumb should be up across her chest. Slide your thumb down her body like a toothpaste tube, but VERY GENTLY. Go slow and steady and remember you aren't squeezing, you are trying to push from the top of the bladder toward her urethra.
    Squirrels, squirrels and more squirrels....
    Prayers for the people who make this a better world...
    savesquirrels@sbcglobal.net

17. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to SammysMom:

Buddy (03-07-2021), cleolovelee (03-06-2021), Nancy in New York (03-07-2021), stepnstone (03-06-2021)

i got some urine!!!!!! actually quite a LOT of urine... i was able to express at least 3/4 of the bladder... i can now see her actual abdominal muscles now.... before it was just round.... omg thank goodness!!! i decided not to try for the last 1/4 because her little tummy had to be sore from all that expressing.... poor little thing.... ok so now that she has voided, how do we progress from here? should i go ahead and feed her? i had been holding her feedings today to keep fluids from compounding.... i’m feeding fv20/50... i don’t mind expressing her little bladder for the rest of her life if i have to... but what about her bowels?? she hasn’t pooped either.... which, could very well be because she hasn’t had any formula today...

Quote Originally Posted by SammysMom View Post
    When trying to express the bladder, start up higher than you think you should. Your thumb should be up across her chest. Slide your thumb down her body like a toothpaste tube, but VERY GENTLY. Go slow and steady and remember you aren't squeezing, you are trying to push from the top of the bladder toward her urethra.

19. 5 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to cleolovelee:

Buddy (03-07-2021), island rehabber (03-07-2021), Nancy in New York (03-07-2021), SammysMom (03-06-2021), stepnstone (03-06-2021)

i got some urine!!!!!! actually quite a LOT of urine... i was able to express at least 3/4 of the bladder... i can now see her actual abdominal muscles now.... before it was just round.... omg thank goodness!!! i decided not to try for the last 1/4 because her little tummy had to be sore from all that expressing.... poor little thing.... ok so now that she has voided, how do we progress from here? should i go ahead and feed her? i had been holding her feedings today to keep fluids from compounding.... i’m feeding fv20/50... i don’t mind expressing her little bladder for the rest of her life if i have to... but what about her bowels?? she hasn’t pooped either.... which, could very well be because she hasn’t had any formula today...
    Hydrate for at least a feeding first to help flush system before starting formula. Keep check on her bladder.
    No food, can't expect bowels yet.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed

21. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to stepnstone:

cleolovelee (03-06-2021), Nancy in New York (03-07-2021), SammysMom (03-06-2021)

Personally, I would advise against 20/50 for such a little one.

which would you recommend? 20/50 is what i have on hand at the moment... i can order something else if i need it...
    Personally, I would advise against 20/50 for such a little one.

This baby has just the beginnings of fur? So approximately 3-4 weeks old? I know HRT4SQRLS used FV 20/50 with some 2-3 week olds that she took in and they did fine. The finder had already started them on FV prior to handing them off to her so she just continued. If the 20/50 is what you have and you’ve already started it then I think you should use it. Do you have any FV ultraboost? I always add this to my formula as well as a little spoonful of full fat vanilla yogurt.

25. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

stepnstone (03-06-2021)

With a pinkie squirrel with no bowel control, I definitely would use the formula blend that has been tested to he closest to mother's milk. That blend is esbilac puppy (not goat milk), Fox Valley 32/40 and heavy cream. 50/50 of the formula powders, hot water at a 2:1 ratio to formula and a small amount of cream. Blend should sit in fridge for 8 hours to rehydrate before feeding.

27. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to SammysMom:

cleolovelee (03-07-2021), Nancy in New York (03-07-2021), stepnstone (03-06-2021)

yes, just the beginnings... she’s greying up out of the pinky stage, and getting like velvet for on her nose and the top of her head... everything else is skin.... i don’t have any ultra boost but thank god for amazon!! i will order some... i can get the yogurt much more quickly....

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    This baby has just the beginnings of fur? So approximately 3-4 weeks old? I know HRT4SQRLS used FV 20/50 with some 2-3 week olds that she took in and they did fine. The finder had already started them on FV prior to handing them off to her so she just continued. If the 20/50 is what you have and you’ve already started it then I think you should use it. Do you have any FV ultraboost? I always add this to my formula as well as a little spoonful of full fat vanilla yogurt.

with all the problems with esbilac products a couple years ago i completely stopped using it... it scares me now to even think about using it.... are we back to trusting it again??
    With a pinkie squirrel with no bowel control, I definitely would use the formula blend that has been tested to he closest to mother's milk. That blend is esbilac puppy (not goat milk), Fox Valley 32/40 and heavy cream. 50/50 of the formula powders, hot water at a 2:1 ratio to formula and a small amount of cream. Blend should sit in fridge for 8 hours to rehydrate before feeding.

with all the problems with esbilac products a couple years ago i completely stopped using it... it scares me now to even think about using it.... are we back to trusting it again??
    Esbilac had corrected the latest issue.
    If the expiration date on the can of Esbilac is 10/2021 (or later) it's good.
    Old stock: Esbilac with a sell-by date of earlier than 10/2021. Do not use.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed

31. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to stepnstone:

cleolovelee (03-07-2021), island rehabber (03-07-2021), Mel1959 (03-07-2021), Nancy in New York (03-07-2021)

cleovelee, I raised my last three seasons' worth of pinkies on 3:1 parts Esbilac and Ultra Boost up until eyes opened, where I switched to 2:1 FV 32/50 plus UB (always mixed 1 part powder, 2 parts very warm water). These were the strongest, healthiest pinkies I've ever raised with no poop issues whatsoever. The UB adds fat and nutrients and babies love it. Just putting it out there for you. There are many formula options for pinkies. (I will personally never use FB 32/40 again because it killed a dozen of my pinks in the summer of 2015....but that's just me. )
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

33. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to island rehabber:

cleolovelee (03-09-2021), Mel1959 (03-07-2021), Nancy in New York (03-07-2021)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast