Thread: need help making sure my squirrels look healthy

Question need help making sure my squirrels look healthy

Hey y’all! These eastern grey squirrels were found out of a fallen tree at a job site that my boyfriend works on, i have had them for almost two weeks and my motherly instinct is making overthink, just need some extra opinions on whether these babies seem healthy or not! They are eating great and using the bathroom great! Just wanted some extra opinions to make sure! I just fed them right before the picture i included, i just worry because sometimes in certain positions when they stretch out i can see their ribs and i’ve been feeding them 1.5-2 cc, i just didn’t know if that was normal when they are stretched out in a certain position! lmk what y’all think please!

Default Re: need help making sure my squirrels look healthy

Name:  squirrels.jpg
Views: 53
Size:  148.9 KB

here’s another picture & i meant to say was feeding them 1-2 ccs when i got them and now 2-3 ccs
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Baby squirrels should be fed by a percentage of their weight. You should weigh them every morning about the same time and consistently before or after you potty them. Then feed 5-7% of their weight at each feeding. As they get older they may want more than 7% which is fine as long as you increase their intake gradually. Too much, too quickly will cause diarrhea.

I think they look good!

What formula are you feeding? They are on a heating pad set on low and under only half of what they’re in, right? We recommend a plastic bin with holes drilled in the lid and around the top of the plastic bin.

Here’s the link to baby squirrel care. https://www.henryspets.com/1-basic-setup/

5. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

Buddy (03-04-2021)

awesome! and i am feeding them puppy formula, did some research and saw where that works as a replacement while you order the esbilac, but now i’m seeing on this page that it isn’t okay? what do you prefer i use? also yes i have that set up as well just keep them in the area i showed in the picture while i feed them because it’s easier for me.

What puppy formula are you feeding now? Esbilac is ok...there were some issues with it a year or so ago. Have you ordered the Esbilac? I like Fox Valley 20/50 with Fox Valley Ultraboost. If you have already ordered the Esbilac I’d consider ordering the Fox Valley Ultraboost from Henrys Pets online to use with it. When mixing it up you substitute 25% of the Esbilac with the Ultraboost. The Ultraboost provides additional calories and some extra nutrients. If you place an order with Henrys you should also order some Picky Eater blocks. The blocks will be the first solid food you introduce them to when their eyes open at 5 weeks. Henrys has a flat shipping fee so it’s best to get everything you might need at one time. They also sell syringes and miracle nipples which make the feeding process much easier.

8. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

Buddy (03-04-2021), Chirps (03-04-2021), Kaitlinrose101 (04-13-2021), RockyPops (03-04-2021)

so haven’t ordered the esbalic yet because it was sold out when i looked for it, so i’ll probably use the fox valley 20/50 with the ultra boost or whatever you said, it seems like that’s what a lot of people prefer and i’ll also order the other thing! Thanks so much! Also, if on the heating pad i have a setting that says warm and then it goes to low then mid then high, do i still put it on low or on warm?

Also, would you prefer me get the fox valley 20/50 or the fox valley ultra boost?

this is the formula
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by ashlann_p View Post
    this is the formula
    In my opinion and I am sure some one can respond with a lot more experience than I have. I would order the fox valley 20/50. Tuff wasn’t getting the right nutrients from kitten formula that I had him on and we ran into an issue at about 12 weeks with early MBD. I researched what their body temp should be on average and all I could find was 99 degrees. I had a dog heating pad that reaches 102 temp. Make sure your heating pad doesn’t turn off. Rice socks are the best, we kept one in Tuffs cage for traveling, which we did everyday to work. So I put his heating pad under about 4 layers of fleece. He stayed nice toasty and warm. If you have it to warm they will dehydrate in my opinion. I did a lot of things wrong with Tuff but this group is the best. There is a lot of info here to help guide you that is for sure. The nipples on Henry’s site are a life saver, not where I got mine from but mine are very similar.

13. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Tuff:

ashlann_p (03-05-2021), Buddy (03-05-2021), Chirps (03-04-2021)

thanks so much! and the warm one is lower that low..i’ve felt it just to make sure and low is definitely hotter than warm so i was confused on what to do bc on mine warm was basically like the low so i didn’t know! if that is the case do i continue to keep it on warm? also what did you use to mix the formula in? i have a small bottle for feeding squirrels that i mix it in but i use the syringe to feed them and it’s so difficult to mix that in that small bottle, i was wondering what other people were using to get the right dosage of each thing?

Quote Originally Posted by ashlann_p View Post
    thanks so much! and the warm one is lower that low..i’ve felt it just to make sure and low is definitely hotter than warm so i was confused on what to do bc on mine warm was basically like the low so i didn’t know! if that is the case do i continue to keep it on warm? also what did you use to mix the formula in? i have a small bottle for feeding squirrels that i mix it in but i use the syringe to feed them and it’s so difficult to mix that in that small bottle, i was wondering what other people were using to get the right dosage of each thing?

The Fox Valley 20/50 and Ultraboost are two different things. 20/50 is a formula and Ultraboost is a supplement that you add to the formula to provide extra calories. I have always used Ultraboost in my formula because I think the extra fat in it helps the squirrels gain weight. I prefer my guys to be as role poly as possible when they go out to the release cage because they never eat as well once out there and lose weight. If you get the Ultraboost follow the directions on the bag on the ratio to add to the 20/50.

You’ll have to experiment with what form of measurement you want to use based on how much they’re eating in a day or two. Start with teaspoons. Since the formulas and Ultraboost are a 1:2 ratio with water you could use 1.5 teaspoons of 20/50 and 1/2 teaspoon of Ultraboost and mix it with 4 teaspoons of very warm water. I use a small Tupperware container. Mix it and let it sit in the refrigerator for about 4-6 hrs before using it shaking the container periodically to help it mix. The formula will keep for 2-3 days.

You need to get the Fox Valley formula ordered ASAP. The formula you have them on does not provide the necessary nutrients to sustain them. All puppy formulas are not alike, even if they’re from the same manufacturers.

As for the thermostat on your heating pad. When it’s set to warm can you feel the warmth inside the container with a few layers of blanket in the bottom of the container? You want there to be enough warmth to radiate up through the blankets so they will feel it, but you don’t want it hot. This is also why you only place the heating pad under one half of the container, so they have a cooler area to crawl to if they get too warm.

16. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

ashlann_p (03-05-2021), Buddy (03-05-2021), Tuff (03-05-2021)

Awesome! Yes, i can still fill it through the blanket and that’s how i have my container set up so perfect! I have already ordered the fox valley! so just waiting for it to come in!

18. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to ashlann_p:

Mel1959 (03-05-2021), Tuff (03-05-2021)