Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Help! Emergency

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2021
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    4
    Thanked: 0

    Default Help! Emergency

    I have a baby eastern gray squirrel who is clicking, with an occasional sneeze. Weight 47 grams. Approximately 3.5-4 weeks old. This started about 36 hours ago. He lost 3 grams from yesterday. Today I decided to only give him pedialyte since he appears dehydrated. However, I wasn't sure how much. I didn't realize what it was. Now realize aspiration pneumonia. I think he was eating too well and i allowed him to eat too much. He had been thriving until now. His other siblings are doing well. I have Cipro 500mg ( from 2007). Can you please tell me the dose? And should I be feeding formula or pedialyte at this time? I have read 2 wildlife rehaber detailed postings and followed those directions since I got the babies 1 week ago today. Would it be helpful to give him a dose of children's liquid benadryl?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Planet Earth
    Posts
    16,948
    Thanked: 11734

    Default Re: Help! Emergency

    Quote Originally Posted by KaraHRN View Post
    I have a baby eastern gray squirrel who is clicking, with an occasional sneeze. Weight 47 grams. Approximately 3.5-4 weeks old. This started about 36 hours ago. He lost 3 grams from yesterday. Today I decided to only give him pedialyte since he appears dehydrated. However, I wasn't sure how much. I didn't realize what it was. Now realize aspiration pneumonia. I think he was eating too well and i allowed him to eat too much. He had been thriving until now. His other siblings are doing well. I have Cipro 500mg ( from 2007). Can you please tell me the dose? And should I be feeding formula or pedialyte at this time? I have read 2 wildlife rehaber detailed postings and followed those directions since I got the babies 1 week ago today. Would it be helpful to give him a dose of children's liquid benadryl?
    I can dose the cipro but I can't tell you if a 14 year expired med is even going to work...
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator


  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2021
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    4
    Thanked: 0

    Default Re: Help! Emergency

    Stepnstone. I appreciate it. The way i figure it, it wont hurt. I do have Amoxicillin 500mg that is not expired. I could try the cipro, if no improvement switch over to the amoxicillin.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Planet Earth
    Posts
    16,948
    Thanked: 11734

    Default Re: Help! Emergency

    Quote Originally Posted by KaraHRN View Post
    Stepnstone. I appreciate it. The way i figure it, it wont hurt. I do have Amoxicillin 500mg that is not expired. I could try the cipro, if no improvement switch over to the amoxicillin.
    I will work it up and send dosing in a pm...
    dosing has been sent
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator


  5. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to stepnstone:

    Bravo (03-04-2021), Buddy (03-04-2021)

  6. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2021
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    4
    Thanked: 0

    Default Re: Help! Emergency

    Thank you so very much!

  7. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Planet Earth
    Posts
    16,948
    Thanked: 11734

    Default Re: Help! Emergency

    Is the amoxicillin straight amoxicillin or possibly amoxicillin and clavulanate?

    Edit: Is straight amoxicillin, dosing sent as backup.
    Last edited by stepnstone; 03-05-2021 at 12:58 AM. Reason: explained in edit...
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator


  8. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to stepnstone:

    Bravo (03-04-2021), Mel1959 (03-04-2021)

  9. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2021
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    4
    Thanked: 0

    Default Re: Help! Emergency

    UPDATE:.
    Just wanted you to know how much I appreciate your help. I don't think my little guy would have made it without the antibiotics. He actually gained a little this morning and is chatting, moving around and eating much better. He's much stronger. I have him the Cipro soon after I received the dose. I gave him another dose 12 hours later. He was still clicking so decided to go ahead a give him Amoxicillin as well. Started it about 20 hours later. I've also been giving probiotics. Thank y'all so much for your help!

  10. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Planet Earth
    Posts
    16,948
    Thanked: 11734

    Default Re: Help! Emergency

    Quote Originally Posted by KaraHRN View Post
    UPDATE:.
    Just wanted you to know how much I appreciate your help. I don't think my little guy would have made it without the antibiotics. He actually gained a little this morning and is chatting, moving around and eating much better. He's much stronger. I have him the Cipro soon after I received the dose. I gave him another dose 12 hours later. He was still clicking so decided to go ahead a give him Amoxicillin as well. Started it about 20 hours later. I've also been giving probiotics. Thank y'all so much for your help!
    Are you now just giving the Amoxy or are you stacking the ab's? (giving both)
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator


  11. Serious fuzzy thank you's to stepnstone from:

    Mel1959 (03-07-2021)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •