Thread: Such a sad thought

Default Such a sad thought

Yesterday was my birthday and my husband tried to surprise me with a baby gray..he contacted the girl who had the baby and she was selling a cage but turned out she had a steep price on the baby..she wanted 500 for the baby..my husband was just in disbelief that people try to profit from these babies instead of caring about the well being of the babies..their well being is worth more than any amount of money...needless to say he didn't get the baby although he wanted to because he knows the baby would go to a loving home..has anyone else had an experience like this?

Default Re: Such a sad thought

Yes, other folks have experienced the same. To the best of my knowledge it is illegal to sell wildlife. There are very, very few legal breeding businesses for gray squirrels. I’d consider reporting her to the authorities.

I know how desperately you want a squirrel to care for. I think if you’re patient a NR squirrel will come your way. Many times folks post on here that they need to rehome a NR squirrel. Baby season is coming up so there may be opportunities then.

IMO it’s never a good idea to keep a releasable gray squirrel as a pet, but I’ve heard that neuro squirrels can make remarkable companions because their “wiring” has been altered and they don’t have the same level of desire to be in the trees.

You live in a very difficult state. I believe GA has some of the strictest wildlife laws. I think you should investigate what, if any, wildlife you can legally keep. We have heard horror stories where federal wildlife agents seize and euthanize wildlife that was in private homes without permits. Please be very careful and do some investigating.

3. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

Buddy (03-03-2021), Chirps (03-03-2021), island rehabber (03-03-2021), Rock Monkey (03-05-2021)

I will definitely look into the laws here..I would never want to keep a releasable captive..that is just a horrible thing to do to any living being..I appreciate your post Mel

5. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Squirtlesmom80 from:

island rehabber (03-03-2021)

Just a thought for you. I know you want a SQUIRREL but have you ever considered a Sugar Glider? In GA you can own them legally if you buy from a USDA breeder. Yes they are different but then again kinda have the same antics. Yes they are nocturnal but as I type this I have one sleeping in my hand in her pouch.

Then if a squirrel in need comes your way you can also take on that baby too!

Just an idea and I am willing to talk to you about them if you would like.

7. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to BCChins:

Chirps (03-03-2021), TubeDriver (03-03-2021)

Do you know if you can own a squirrel in Georgia if it is bought from a USDA licensed facility?

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    Do you know if you can own a squirrel in Georgia if it is bought from a USDA licensed facility?
    By Georgia Law, most native species of wildlife cannot be held without permits or licenses. These licenses are not issued for the purpose of holding native wildlife as pets. These restrictions apply to the various species of animal, regardless of the origin or morphology.

The list includes all species of squirrels.

10. Serious fuzzy thank you's to CrazyCatLady from:

Chirps (03-04-2021)

I found the ad for the squirrel. The squirrel is free, they want $500.00 for this cage. As for reporting it, would I call the number for the law enforcement office in that region listed on the DNR website? Should it be reported? What will happen to the squirrel?
    Looking at that cage makes me cringe. My eyesight isn't great, does it look as bad as I think it does?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

No, don’t do anything it’s already being taken care of....the authorities are aware of it.

13. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

CrazyCatLady (03-04-2021), stepnstone (03-04-2021)

Here’s the other TSB thread pertaining to this. https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...th-home-needed

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    Here’s the other TSB thread pertaining to this. https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...th-home-needed
    Thank you for the link. I hadn't seen that. I sincerely hope for the sake of the squirrel they get it worked out.

Me too....sooner rather than later.

17. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

CrazyCatLady (03-04-2021)