Thread: Injured squirrel in city park

Default Injured squirrel in city park

Hi this is my first time posting. Hope to get some advice. I just started to know the squirrels in my neighbourhood park. One got new injury, I just found out today and I last saw it 3-4 days ago and it was all good. A large scar on its right face which seems to be healing but the eye is only half open. I’m worried if he can still see ok with its eye? Also worried if there’s hidden injury like hurt limb? When he came to me today, it seemed a bit clumsy. Are there ways to find out about its sight and limbs? He seems fine climbing trees. There are many unleashed dogs in this park everyday unfortunately, if it can’t see or run well, life is going to be very tough. I’m not sure if it is necessary to take it to the wildlife centre.. I don’t drive and am scared of close contact with animals, so it’ll be a big deal trying to do that. Hope to get some advice! Thank you!!
    I do have a photo but haven’t figured out how to post it.. it’s asking for URL, how can I post one directly from my phone?

Default Re: Injured squirrel in city park

This is the photo!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thank you for caring so much for this sweet darling.
    I'm guessing he may be able to see, even if not I have had them in my yard that were blind in one eye, I could tell by the cloudiness.
    If he, she is able to climb I'm just going to say it should be alright. It is very difficult to try to catch and then find a vet that won't put them down.
    If not a total emergency then just let him, her be.
    That said if you feed him daily that is good.
    I dont know when they have babies in your area, most likely not now, otherwise if it was a female with babies she would need to be with them.

I'll let others chim in. That's just my 2 cents worth 👍
    Charley Chuckles gone from my arms FOREVER in my heart 8/14/04-3/7/13
    Simon, our time was too short together, but you gave us so much love, be with CC now 3/7/14

The "CHARLEY CHUCKLES MEMORIAL RAIL TOUR" leaves the station choo chooo
    *Deland,FL. *Washington DC *Boston (Back Bay) *Boston (North Station) *Wells,Maine *Albany,NY *New York (Penn Station) *Back to Deland FL. "July 1- July 22" 2013

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...RIAL-RAIL-TOUR Check it out here
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...OW-A-NEW-MOMMY!!!!!
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...RAINBOW-BRIDGE
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...e-called-Simon
    charleychuckles1@gmail.com

I'm not poof reading any of this

4. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Charley Chuckles:

Buddy (03-02-2021), Mel1959 (03-01-2021), Nao (03-01-2021)

Providing food, as was suggested, is always a good idea with an injured squirrel. You can also offer fresh corn chunks, avocado (no skin or pit), fresh coconut chunks and chunks of apples, along with nuts...in shell or out of shell. Not having to forage for food is helpful when they’re injured.

6. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

Buddy (03-02-2021), Nao (03-02-2021)

As Mel said not having to forage and being able to eat a lot quickly and having more time to rest and recuperate is invaluable. If there is not a fresh water supply readily available, leaving a dish of fresh water by the base of a tree would be a plus.

If that eye worsens.... swells shut, starts losing fur, crusting over, etc. he/she may benefit from antibiotics if you have any available. It would only take a single pill (tell us what you might have and we'll help dose if needed). We have had much success putting the meds on a nut or other food vehicle for treating wilds in need: No contact or capturing necessary...BUT this means meeting the squirrel in the park daily for a number of days to complete the antibiotic course as best as possible.

8. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Spanky:

Buddy (03-02-2021), Mel1959 (03-01-2021), Nao (03-02-2021)

Thank you all for your kind advices! So glad I found this site.

How much food does it need per day? It's still cold here, they are only out for a few hours so I can only see it during my lunch break. This one usually stops eating after a small amount of food (like 6-8 pieces of walnut plus 1-2 small pieces of coconut/avocado/fruit, some days even less), if i give more, it will just run around find spot to bury the food or go back on tree. The park is right by the lake but the park ground is high up, I've seen them eating ice and licking wet surface, but no idea how they get fresh water, I did leave a bowl of tap water today hopefully it figures out to drink it...

10. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Nao from:

Buddy (03-02-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Spanky View Post

If that eye worsens.... swells shut, starts losing fur, crusting over, etc. he/she may benefit from antibiotics if you have any available. It would only take a single pill (tell us what you might have and we'll help dose if needed). We have had much success putting the meds on a nut or other food vehicle for treating wilds in need: No contact or capturing necessary...BUT this means meeting the squirrel in the park daily for a number of days to complete the antibiotic course as best as possible.

Thank you Spanky! I did notice he is able to blink today, hopefully it's a good sign but still the eye can only open a little bit. I dont see obvious swelling but I dont mind getting something just in case. Unfortunately, antibiotics are not OTC here and I dont have any left at home.. is there anything else that could help with healing and the eye? maybe from some food items/natural supplements?

12. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Nao from:

Buddy (03-02-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Nao View Post
    ...is there anything else that could help with healing and the eye? maybe from some food items/natural supplements?
    Supplements can provide some help, but pale in comparison to antibiotic treatment.

Ask family, friends and neighbors. You'll only need a single pill to provide and entire course (if needed) for a squirrel.

14. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Spanky:

Buddy (03-02-2021), Mel1959 (03-02-2021)