Thread: They stole my heart

Default They stole my heart

I came across this board several times while caring for three newborn squirrels (roughly 2 or 3 days old). The board helped me to successfully warm, hydrate, and feed my babies until I was able to bring them to a local rehabilitation facility. I say "my" babies because I grew ABSOLUTELY enamored with them. The sleepless nights, the constant fretting over every little noise, their whiskers and tiny, button ears... they stole my heart!!! You all should have seen the bawling mess I was as I drove to take them to the wildlife center.

Anyway, I hope to volunteer at the center and be able to care for more babies! Here's a video of my little guy's feeding

2. 7 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to jenny777:

Bravo (02-28-2021), Buddy (03-01-2021), Chirps (02-28-2021), island rehabber (02-28-2021), Mel1959 (03-01-2021), olorin19 (03-09-2021), RockyPops (03-01-2021)

Default Re: They stole my heart

Jenny777, you sure are one of us. Taken by squirrel magic... it never goes away, you know. Another in need will find you, you'll see.

Bless you for doing the right thing for these precious ones!
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

4. 5 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to island rehabber:

Buddy (03-01-2021), Chirps (02-28-2021), jenny777 (02-28-2021), olorin19 (03-09-2021), RockyPops (03-01-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by island rehabber View Post
    Jenny777, you sure are one of us. Taken by squirrel magic... it never goes away, you know. Another in need will find you, you'll see.

Bless you for doing the right thing for these precious ones!
    Who knew how big of an impression they would leave on my heart. Thank you, friend. There seems to be an uptick of orphans in my area due to recent storms and strong winds. These little ones fell along with their nest from a palm tree, but luckily it cushioned their fall as they were inside. Two of the three had rolled out of the opening and by the time I came across them they were all very cold and it was dark. Was there in the nick of time!

6. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to jenny777:

Chirps (02-28-2021), Mel1959 (03-01-2021), RockyPops (03-01-2021)

These sweet creatures found their way into my heart "accidentally" as well. I love all animals so I never hated or disliked squirrels but I wasn't particularly enamored with them either. They were part of the world and that was fine. Then a neighbor had a tree cut down and there was a nest of two tiny squirrels - two weeks old. The neighbor had no interest in doing anything with or for them. I had never taken care of wild anything though I did some how know enough that they could not have cow's milk. I took the dear babies, started my research and by the grace of God they survived my loving but awkward efforts! My husband build a pre-release cage. My boy released himself before I would have liked though I am just trusting (hoping, praying, fingers crossed) he was old enough. He never came back to m but there is one squirrel around who's not quite as skittish so I like to think that is him. My girl - Squirrelie - lived in the box I provided after release for a few weeks but then found/created her own nest somewhere. However, she still visits me for walnuts and avocados. As spring approaches, I do not "want" babies and I certainly don't want any to be orphaned (they are A LOT of work! but I will be here for any should they find their way to me.

8. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Barby:

Buddy (03-09-2021), Chirps (03-10-2021), jenny777 (03-09-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Barby View Post
    These sweet creatures found their way into my heart "accidentally" as well. I love all animals so I never hated or disliked squirrels but I wasn't particularly enamored with them either. They were part of the world and that was fine. Then a neighbor had a tree cut down and there was a nest of two tiny squirrels - two weeks old. The neighbor had no interest in doing anything with or for them. I had never taken care of wild anything though I did some how know enough that they could not have cow's milk. I took the dear babies, started my research and by the grace of God they survived my loving but awkward efforts! My husband build a pre-release cage. My boy released himself before I would have liked though I am just trusting (hoping, praying, fingers crossed) he was old enough. He never came back to m but there is one squirrel around who's not quite as skittish so I like to think that is him. My girl - Squirrelie - lived in the box I provided after release for a few weeks but then found/created her own nest somewhere. However, she still visits me for walnuts and avocados. As spring approaches, I do not "want" babies and I certainly don't want any to be orphaned (they are A LOT of work! but I will be here for any should they find their way to me.
    Hi Barby

Often we consider the "common animal" as nothing more than an ornament in our yard that is amusing enough. We carry on in our very human and very arbitrary affairs, unaware of just how intricately woven our lives are to those of the natural world until we are graced with the opportunity to care for one of their own. That was me. I thought about squirrels in much of the same way I thought about pigeons, or crows, or sparrows: background critters in my day-to-day living.

When I came across the fallen nest, completely dismantled by the storm, I marveled over the materials that was used to have constructed it. Palm tree fibers - tough, yet soft and durable. A perfect foundation. Mother's fur had lined the inside and possibly been used to patch holes, providing much needed warmth. I found two of the three babies clinging to the remnants of the nest and the third had been stopped from rolling away by a stone. I brought them home and loved on them sloppily, but I learned. The price tag on a tub of Esbilac meant nothing. I replaced the milk-soaked Q-tip for a 1-cc syringe. I began hydrating them between meals. I noted the milk line as confirmation. When I heard suckling I would give a bit more. For three days I hardly slept. Those three little angels were everything to me. Nothing else in the world mattered but ensuring their survival. I regret taking them to the rehab facility.

What this experience taught me and what I was shown transcends the human language. God's love has many forms and it was shown to me in the form of three tiny pink squirmy babies on a stormy night.

10. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to jenny777:

Buddy (03-09-2021), Chirps (03-10-2021)