Thread: Struggling to breath, mouth ulcers?

Default Struggling to breath, mouth ulcers?

Name:  47A256BA-B1A7-477D-B4B0-F24FED6AB517.jpg
Views: 129
Size:  204.2 KB
    Name:  6B996533-0E57-4CFA-880B-23D2853D9EF1.jpg
Views: 124
Size:  159.8 KB

When we left yesterday morning everyone seemed fine. Got up and found Doodles my neuro/malocclusion with a dangling top incisor that fell out when I touched it, and her nostrils completely sealed shut with thick , infected mucus. She felt hot with fever and was open mouth breathing. I dosed her with clavamox and Clindamycin, and Meloxicam, and started tiny drops of saline in her nostrils and am trying to suction out globs as they come. She seemed to improve over the last few hours and even took a couple bites of boo ball for me. But just now I checked and she was “clicking “ as she breaths , even though her nostrils seem open? And I caught glimpses of red inside her mouth, and got these pictures; is this normal?? It looks like ulcers/plaques we see in cats that have certain viral diseases. What is this?? Should I try prednisone tomorrow instead of Meloxicam?? I’m so at a loss as to what came over her, so fast??

Default Re: Struggling to breath, mouth ulcers?

I am not sure what us going on but pred will suppress the immune system. Since this infection is in such a critical area, I think it is important to give your stacked ABs every chance to damp down this infection. The clicking might just from the swelling, pus, obstruction and not from pneumonia?

I think the priority is to control/end this infection. You mentioned that she seemed a little better and ate something which is a good sign. You know it will take a couple days for the ABs to really start making a difference. I think xrays to see what is going on with the tooth roots would be helpful too.

Doodles and SM
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

3. 5 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to TubeDriver:

Buddy (02-28-2021), Chirps (02-28-2021), Diggie's Friend (02-28-2021), Nancy in New York (02-28-2021), Snicker Bar (02-28-2021)

yes, give the clindo a chance to work.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

5. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to island rehabber:

Buddy (02-28-2021), Snicker Bar (02-28-2021)

Milo's Mom is offline Permitted Pennsylvania Wildlife Rehabilitator

No!!! Do not treat, do not scrape off. They are usual and normal. I found them on Snags and flipped out, drove to vet in middle of night. Vet had no clue. The next morning I found the same exact things in Ellie's mouth. Then I looked at Blaze, yup he had them too.
    I don't know what they are but they are even on both sides and they don't scrape off.

EDIT
    I think Baytril has better coverage for the usual mouth bacteria and would consider a clav baytril combo. Possibly get a culture on discharge to identify sensitivity.

Top-quality custom cage gear, accessories, blankets, & toys.
    Boutique items are fun, unique, and anything but ordinary.

TSB thread: Auntie MM's Custom Boutique Website: https://auntiemmscb.square.site/ Facebook: Auntie MM's Facebook Page

7. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Milo's Mom from:

Snicker Bar (02-28-2021)

Just an update , she was alert and attempting to drink on her own this AM. and breathing much better (not gasping /clicking). She was caked with colored drainage but we cleaned up and got nostrils open . She didn’t want to eat first thing but I’ll try again in a bit . Otherwise I’ll make a gruel per one of the recipes in the book that’s here . I did switch her to Baytril/Clavamox after seeing no drainage from the hole her tooth left behind. And can definitely culture in morning when lab can pick up tube .
    Thanks for all the help, maybe she will be ok now; I’m so relieved she’s at least breathing now without gasping .

9. 6 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Snicker Bar:

Buddy (02-28-2021), Chirps (02-28-2021), Mel1959 (02-28-2021), Milo's Mom (02-28-2021), stepnstone (02-28-2021), TubeDriver (02-28-2021)

I’m glad she’s breathing better...that’s a relief. Keep us updated on her improvement.

11. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

Snicker Bar (02-28-2021)

Name:  F17B2ECB-262E-4F43-86A4-C7E1256F447D.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  280.1 KB

This is Doodles today, with the first flowers of spring. She has made a full recovery Thank you everyone for helping us get her well again!

13. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Snicker Bar:

Milo's Mom (03-13-2021), Tuff (03-12-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Snicker Bar View Post
    Name:  F17B2ECB-262E-4F43-86A4-C7E1256F447D.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  280.1 KB

This is Doodles today, with the first flowers of spring. She has made a full recovery Thank you everyone for helping us get her well again!
    I absolutely loved her video this morning!!!! She is such a cutie!!!!

15. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Tuff from:

Snicker Bar (03-13-2021)

That is such a gorgeous pic of her1 A real sweetheart And you sure did a great job with her.
    "In the midst of our lives we must find the magic that makes our souls soar."
    My darling Scooter, beloved Hami, sweet gentle Simon... YOU are the ones who brought that magic in my life. You've changed the way I see all things around me now and, because of you, I want to be a better person. This is not goodbye, my sweethearts. You be at peace, your work here on earth is done... now you are finally, truly free. Until we meet at the Bridge again, please remember that I will always love you.
    The greatness of a nation can be measured by the way it treats its animals.
    - Gandhi -

17. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Scooterzmom:

Snicker Bar (03-13-2021), sundoesshine (03-13-2021)