Thread: Richardsons diet

Default Richardsons diet

Hello tsb again i hope you and your buddys doing great.
    Here is the question
    Is HHB a good option for richardson's diet or they have a complete different diet from tree squirrels?

Default Re: Richardsons diet

Hello Napped - I just read the entire story of your problems with Sally when you first got her. I'm so glad she is doing good now! You are a squirrel super-hero!

So did you get a Richardson Ground Squirrel? I have a California Ground Squirrel - they are pretty close relatives. I believe a good squirrel diet for grounds is the same as for tree squirrels. I have Tinkerbelle on Henry's blocks as her staple food source, and then add all sorts of grains, greens, fruits, vegetables, and some proteins. She will definitely let me know what foods she prefers.

Ground squirrels often live near agriculture areas. There are wild squirrels on my farm property and they have regular access to chicken feed, livestock grain, cat food, bird seed, everything growing in the garden, fruit trees, acorns, and all the grasses and other plants that grow on the property.

We make sure to have a mineral/salt lick in her enclosure too. Tell us more about your Richardson!?

Whistle seems to not have problems she was eating as soon we got home ans i was just want to be sure for what richardsons diet require to be sure she will be healthy.
    A have talked with a richardsons owner from a page on instagram that i follow and he said to me that their diet is plant based so i make this thread to collect more knowlege.
    She is a little be scared but its just the begining i think she will adjust very soon she has a very good behavior.

Here is what he show me that he gives to his richardson daily

https://ibb.co/2Nd57qk

https://ibb.co/0trnddQ

Here is a pic of whistle

https://ibb.co/2WYsh5z

And a bonus sally and konan

https://ibb.co/zH8Tjjk

4. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Napped:

Buddy (03-02-2021), CrazyCatLady (02-28-2021)

Oh my gosh - so ADORABLE pictures!! Have you seen the 'Breed Specific' section of the Squirrel Board? There may be some Richardsons' people on here that you could reach out to specifically as well. Thanks for sharing!!

Your fur-babies are in good hands.

I have looked in specific breed and found this info

Richardson's ground squirrels are vegetarians that eat leafy vegetation and seeds in the wild. Suggested foods for captive ground squirrels:

fresh greens, particularly romaine lettuce
    dandelion leaves and flowers (if whole plants are fresh picked, they keep well in a plastic bag in the refrigerator for 2-3 days)
    melon (watermelon, cantaloupe, etc.)
    other fruits (ripe bananas, apple pieces)
    unsalted sunflower seeds, hulled or unhulled
    unsweetened muesli, porridge oats
    timothy hay
    pelleted squirrel or rodent diet
    try various foods and see what your squirrel likes.
    DO NOT feed sweetened or salted foods
    Make sure that any old or uneaten food is removed from the cage daily. Keep a water bottle available, even though moisture is preferably obtained from moist foods. A mineral block should be provided - not a salt block!
    Make sure that when your squirrel is in fattening mode, you decrease its food intake to prevent having a grossly obese animal.

If your pet is not eating well or has tooth problems, try some oat porridge gruel thinned and cooled with a little low-fat milk. If the squirrel is very weak, initially feed small amounts of thin gruel with a plastic dropper, but be very careful that fluid does not enter the respiratory tract. If the squirrel still is not eating properly in 1-2 days, consult your veterinarian.

If anyone who have ground squirrels or better richardsons and can confirm that those informations are valid i will be very thankful!

They are adorable!
    Animals are magical....Thank you everyone who tries to help them, save them tirelessly...