Thread: Wild Squirrel with a Broken Finger - Fatima

Default Wild Squirrel with a Broken Finger - Fatima

Hi everyone! I have been browsing this forum trying to figure out what to do for my poor squirrel, so thanks in advance for your help I have a couple of wild squirrels that I have befriended through providing snacks for the past few months. I am definitely a newbie at squirrel care, but these little guys have really captured my heart.

One little girl particularly likes me and I can hand feed her nuts and things - I call her Fatima Last Friday I came home and noticed that one of my wind chimes had been knocked down. The hook from the top of the wind chimes was missing, and I later spotted Fatima with that hook dangling off of her front paw! I tried desperately to catch her and pull it off but she was at the top of a tall tree. So upsetting. She disappeared for three days (she generally visits every day or every other day) and was back on Tuesday with a really sore finger. I was just happy she was alive! I gave her a ton of treats.

I didn't see her on Wednesday but she was back yesterday and the finger seems even more red and swollen. She still uses it to eat and it doesn't seem to affect her mobility at all, but it can't feel good I tried to spray it with some hypochlorous stuff that I had on hand, but she was chittering at me and didn't seem at all pleased about that. She won't really let me get too close.

I am trying to figure out what to do. I can't catch her, and I think she has babies because I see nipples. Do I try and give her antibiotics? I don't know how I'd get a hold of that and I don't know her weight...Wait and see? My husband thinks I am a crazy squirrel lady but I just want to help the poor thing. Any suggestions appreciated, I will attach some pictures. Name:  VideoCapture_20210225-214547.jpg
Views: 193
Size:  77.2 KB Name:  20210225_134817.jpg
Views: 176
Size:  104.4 KB

2. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Bonbon:

Buddy (02-26-2021), sundoesshine (02-26-2021)

Default Re: Wild Squirrel with a Broken Finger - Fatima

Infection would be my concern...
    If you could obtain an ab it would be easy to lace the dose on a nut given/tossed specifically to her.
    Clavamox would be the ab of choice for a nursing mom as it does not go into or effect mother's milk.
    I would ask around to family, friends, and see what you come up with, you would only need a pill or two.
    We can always put a safe guesstimate on weight.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

4. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to stepnstone:

Bonbon (02-27-2021), Buddy (03-03-2021), Mel1959 (02-27-2021)

Thank you Stepnstone, that's what I was worried about too. I didn't see her yesterday but I am going to go get some Clavamox then I'll be back ASAP!

Hi again!! My friend is coming over today with some Clavamox tablets - they are 62.5mg tablets. Fatima has been coming once a day or every other day for the past week and her paw looks super sore. Poor girl. I've attached some pictures. Is it ok if she only gets medicine once a day at most? I'll keep a close eye out for her.

I have pecans and peanut or almond butter so I was thinking to crush the tablets into the butter and putting them onto pecans. Hopefully that will work Please advise about the dosing! I tried to weigh her but she wouldn't come close enough. I attached a full body photo, so hope that helps! Thanks so so much.

Name:  20210301_122103.jpg
Views: 169
Size:  179.6 KBName:  20210302_125619.jpg
Views: 156
Size:  121.6 KBName:  20210302_130054.jpg
Views: 152
Size:  185.1 KB

7. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Bonbon from:

Buddy (03-03-2021)

Exclamation Re: Wild Squirrel with a Broken Finger - Fatima

Can anyone help with dosing? Here is a picture from yesterday... I dont know if this looks better or worse. Name:  VideoCapture_20210303-192902.jpg
Views: 164
Size:  87.2 KB

Will send dosing by PM, estimated body weight 650g?

Quote Originally Posted by Bonbon View Post
    Can anyone help with dosing? Here is a picture from yesterday... I dont know if this looks better or worse. Name:  VideoCapture_20210303-192902.jpg
Views: 164
Size:  87.2 KB
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

Thanks TubeDriver!! She is an average sized squirrel for my area, Los Angeles. I'm not sure her weight :/.

Check PM. You are supposed to administer 2x/day. I gave you instructions for this. If you can only admin 1x/day, I included a slightly higher single dose amount. This might keep Clav serum levels higher for longer although it is not perfect or as good as 2x/day dosing.

I hope it helps your little friend!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

12. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to TubeDriver:

Bonbon (03-05-2021), Buddy (03-04-2021)

Thanks so much for the help with Fatima so far!
    I've just given her the 7th dose of clavamox (I could only give her one dose a day). I think it's starting to look a bit better, the swelling seems to be going down but it looks like there is still quite a lot of soreness. Yesterday I noticed a tiny bit of blood/redness on the missing finger. Would you suggest continuing dosing her for a few more days? That's what I was thinking to do. I'll attach a picture. She seems a lot more lively now and is using the hand to eat and dig so I am hopeful. Thanks so much for your help!!

Name:  20210311_114949.jpg
Views: 135
Size:  118.1 KB

14. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Bonbon from:

Diggie's Friend (07-05-2022)

I’d continue for a few more days since she wasn’t getting it twice a day.

16. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

Bonbon (03-11-2021)

Thanks Mel! Do you think another week would be good? Or just a couple days.. I'm so new to this! Sorry

I guess it depends on how often she’s coming. If it’s every day then 4 more doses might be good. If it’s every other day or so it might take a week or more to get 4 more doses in her. I don’t think it will hurt her to have the meds for an extended period of time. The problem is that once the pill is crushed and mixed with water it is only good for about 10 days, so you might need to mix up a new batch for potency.

19. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

Bonbon (03-11-2021)

I would extend this at least to 10-12 days total. That finger still looks like it needs a bit of help although it looks a LOT better!

-Grateful Dead

21. Serious fuzzy thank you's to TubeDriver from:

Bonbon (03-11-2021)

Thanks Mel and TubeDriver! I have a couple of pills left so I can mix up a new batch for the next few days. She has been coming everyday as of late (maybe she knows the meds are helping her!) so I'll plan on dosing her another 5 days (so 12 days total) and update you guys from there. Fatty and I are so very grateful

23. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Bonbon:

Mel1959 (03-11-2021), TubeDriver (03-11-2021)

Hey guys! So Fatima had her 12th dose of Clavamox today. I notice some little hairs growing back on her hand, so that makes me very happy! Should I stop dosing her? I have enough medicine for another day or two if you think its needed. Thanks again!! Name:  20210316_122239.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  150.4 KB Name:  20210316_122219.jpg
Views: 127
Size:  131.7 KB

Hey there I know its been a while, but how is your girl doing