Thread: Flea control advice for 8 month old indoor/outdoor squirrel

Default Flea control advice for 8 month old indoor/outdoor squirrel

Hi all - I'm a new member and have a question about flea control for squirrels. I read elsewhere that Revolution for kittens should work but wanted to see if anyone here had any thoughts. A bit of background - I rehabilitated a boy squirrel (Lucky) who had fallen in a pond during a storm when he was about 7-8 weeks old (mom never showed). Lucky is now 8 months. He lives primarily outdoors but still chooses to come to his cage on my back screened in porch every day for snacks and pets (connected to the outside via tube - my boyfriend created a funny contraption). Lucky is very cuddly and playful and sometimes falls asleep on my legs or arms. I noticed he has fleas and keeps scratching himself frequently. I even got flea bites a couple times. Even though he's not an indoor squirrel, I would like to make him more comfortable but worry about negative consequences from the flea medication. I also noticed some redness on his inner thigh - not sure if it's from scratching or what. Any input would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Default Re: Flea control advice for 8 month old indoor/outdoor squirrel

Treating with kitten/cat Revolution has never been a problem. The strength of the medicine for cat and kitten versions is the same. The difference is the amount in the tube. For squirrel treating purposes you are only going to use one drop either on his skin between the shoulder blades or placed on a nut that he’ll eat. Either way works well and it will protect him for about a month.

3. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

Buddy (02-21-2021), roadkill (02-24-2021), Tanito (02-22-2021)

Default Re: Flea control advice for 8 month old indoor/outdoor squirrel

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    Treating with kitten/cat Revolution has never been a problem. The strength of the medicine for cat and kitten versions is the same. The difference is the amount in the tube. For squirrel treating purposes you are only going to use one drop either on his skin between the shoulder blades or placed on a nut that he’ll eat. Either way works well and it will protect him for about a month.
    Thank you very much! I didn't realize that revolution drops could also be ingested and still work! This helps a lot.

5. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Tanito from:

Mel1959 (02-22-2021)