Thread: Squirrel walks in circles and falls over

Default Squirrel walks in circles and falls over

Hi Everyone, is there any medication or intervention for a squirrel who has ingested raccoon poop and may be afflicted with roundworm- Baylisascaris.
    Its very cold, lots of snow and he eats and fends off other squirrels but seems to be getting more unstable on feet.

thank you

Default Re: Squirrel walks in circles and falls over

How can you be sure what he’s experiencing is from roundworm? Circling and instability can also be signs of head trauma. There is no treatment for roundworm, that I’m aware of. I believe it’s always fatal. If his issue is from head trauma then treating with prednisone or gabapentin has helped. In order to treat with either med you would have to trap the squirrel to be able to treat it consistently with the medicine for several weeks.

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

stepnstone (02-21-2021)

Default Re: Squirrel walks in circles and falls over

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    How can you be sure what he’s experiencing is from roundworm? Circling and instability can also be signs of head trauma. There is no treatment for roundworm, that I’m aware of. I believe it’s always fatal. If his issue is from head trauma then treating with prednisone or gabapentin has helped. In order to treat with either med you would have to trap the squirrel to be able to treat it consistently with the medicine for several weeks.
    Of course I don't know for sure but we do have a raccoon who lives a few doors down. There is no sign of trauma, and he has been getting progressively worse over the last few weeks. I have been unable to find a vet that would see him so I have not trapped him.