Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Regurgitating and not eating

Default Re: Regurgitating and not eating

I wouldn’t be too concerned about how much butternut squash he’s getting if it’s something he’ll currently eat. This would be short term until he’s feeling better. Food = energy = recovery. You might try him on some different greens like bok choy, watercress, endive, chicory or baby kale. Maybe one of them will be accepted. Maybe there’s something in the squash that his body is telling him he needs right now.

2. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

Kimuraa (02-23-2021)

He's so picky about his greens. I've tried all of the above and all he'll eat is lettuce and arugala.

I've determined he's addicted to squirrel junk food

4. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Kimuraa from:

Tuff (02-23-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    I wouldn’t be too concerned about how much butternut squash he’s getting if it’s something he’ll currently eat. This would be short term until he’s feeling better. Food = energy = recovery. You might try him on some different greens like bok choy, watercress, endive, chicory or baby kale. Maybe one of them will be accepted. Maybe there’s something in the squash that his body is telling him he needs right now.
    I have noticed that about Tuff he eats certain things one day and then will throw it to the bottom of the cage 3 days later. He always loves his Brussel sprouts, but recently seems rather uninterested in them. Today they disappeared quickly. He would basically just nibble the rodent blocks for about a week or so, today first thing he grabbed and ate. Very interesting thing to think about. Is it their instincts possibly?

6. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Tuff from:

Kimuraa (02-24-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Tuff View Post
    I have noticed that about Tuff he eats certain things one day and then will throw it to the bottom of the cage 3 days later. He always loves his Brussel sprouts, but recently seems rather uninterested in them. Today they disappeared quickly. He would basically just nibble the rodent blocks for about a week or so, today first thing he grabbed and ate. Very interesting thing to think about. Is it their instincts possibly?
    Sure, they know how to balance their diet in the wild. I wouldn’t think it would be any different in captivity, except that they are limited to what we provide them. I am a firm believer in providing a wide variety of healthy items. Even if they refuse it one day, who knows the next time it’s offered they may be receptive to it. Besides, each item provides a different amount of nutrients, so variety gives them a wider range of choices to get them the nutrients they need.

You can try lightly cooking the squash or sweet potato. I cut it into small chunks and put it in the microwave with some water and cook for a minute or two. It’s still firm, but slightly softer. I think being partially cooked allows it to be digested better and more nutrients to be absorbed.

I have a flyer that rarely ever ate avocado....for 2 years! I still always include a little chunk of it when I feed him. Recently he’s been eating it....who knows why?!

8. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

island rehabber (02-24-2021), Kimuraa (02-24-2021), Tuff (02-24-2021)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12