Thread: Overgrown teeth

Default Overgrown teeth

I have a flyer who is around 5-1/2 months old. Her lower teeth seem overgrown. One is longer than the other. Her upper teeth are really short. She has antler, pumice, nuts in shell, sticks and cuttlebone to chew on. I'm sorry, but I haven't been able to get a good picture. Flyers don't sit still, low light, need both hands, etc.... lol. She is healthy and eats well. She is able to get into nuts, but I don't see her chewing on the other things much. I just would like to get her teeth looked at and possibly trimmed. My question is if anyone knows of a good vet in the north central florida area that I could take her to?

Default Re: Overgrown teeth

Examine her to see if the upper palate (roof of the inside of her mouth) is irritated, raw, bloody, swollen, pinker than the rest of the mouth, etc. do you want to look at these things because typically the lower teeth are always going to be a bit longer than the upper teeth and that is totally normal. If the teeth are growing in different directions, do not appear straight, do not appear to ever make contact with each other, Or if the upper palate is irritated in anyway then that is the indication of tooth problems and the need for trimming.

I don't have personal experience with flyers, but my girl developed maligned lower teeth after taking a fall to the face. Her upper palate gets swollen and raw (very pink) if her teeth are overgrown and she gets cranky.

It's not recommend by the professionals, but to trim my girl I use a standard dog nail clipper. Safari brand for XL dogs. You have to be careful that the tongue and lips dont slip into the opening and you need to make sure you dont over-trim, but I personally find this tool much better and more reliable than the recommended toenail (human) or cuticle clippers that "snap" the tooth. I feel like the clippers I use snap them (rather than squeeze or crush which is bad).

If you are not comfortable doing this yourself then by all means seek a vet, but if it turns out that your pet does need to have routine trimmings it's probably best that you learn how to do it yourself, just my opinion.

Default Re: Overgrown teeth

One of the best squirrel vets in the country is located in Port Orange, Fl. Ravenwood Vet Clinic, Dr. Alicia Emerson 386-788-1550. She also specializes in squirrel mouth issues.