Thread: 4 yo flyer constipated i think.

Default 4 yo flyer constipated i think.

I have seen her straining a few times before and then she is fine. I give her a piece of apple for about 3 days and then she is better. I find alot of her HHB's stashed away but she does eat some. I give her fresh veggies daily, an HHB, either sour cream or cream cheese, avacado, and super worms, and a piece of berry, orange or apple a few times a week. She does get nuts but not daily depending on how well she eats her greens. She is a picky eater and I have tried all kinds of veggies she is allowed as well as the HHB's. Could someone please advise?
    My Roxi, my girl forever. She stole my heart. She is gone but never forgotten.

Default Re: 4 yo flyer constipated i think.

I've never had a squirrel that was constipated, especially a flyer. For grays itís always recommended to offer diluted apple juice or prune juice.

Are you sure that sheís trying to have a bowel movement and not straining to urinate?

https://streamable.com/8lwx1b

Please follow this link to see a video of her trying to go, maybe you can let me know what you think it is. I just bought some light karo syrup that I thought I would add with water, but then you mentioned Apple juice which I thought giving her apples would help. I have squeezed an apple and given her the juice. that seems to help for a little while but she goes through these periods and this is fine.

I meant to say she goes through these periods and then she is fine for a while.

Could something she's consuming causing her to bloat?
    Have you tried using Gas-X (simethicone) ?
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

6. Serious fuzzy thank you's to stepnstone from:

Mel1959 (02-19-2021)

Is there anything in her diet that could cause constipation? Bananas, Rice, cheese....? Anything that you may not feed consistently, but coincides with these bouts of constipation? She definitely looks like sheís straining to have a bowel movement.

Corn syrup mixed with water and extra water may help.

Quote Originally Posted by stepnstone View Post
    Could something she's consuming causing her to bloat?
    Have you tried using Gas-X (simethicone) ?
    I don't think so unless the cream cheese or sour cream is giving her gas. I usually give her Spring mix and avocado, usually broccoli which she doesn't really eat, or cauliflower or squashes, sometimes carrot, maybe half a grape or piece of Orange or Apple, an HHB, superworms and either sour cream or mostly cream cheese.

I give my flyer full fat vanilla yogurt. Iíve never given cream cheese or sour cream. I wonder if thereís something in them, like the dairy component, that she could be reacting to. I know the active cultures in yogurt are good for their guts. Maybe you should stop the sour cream and cream cheese and see if that helps. I know yogurt, even though itís dairy, doesnít usually upset their systems the way other dairy products can.

Thanks, I will do that 🙂. I appreciate your help, all of you.

11. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Roxi's mom from:

Mel1959 (02-19-2021)