Thread: Eye injury....we think...please advise......

Default Eye injury....we think...please advise......

Hello....hope you're well! Important eye question here for squirrel pros. So my NR squirrel JUST exhibited this. No bleeding or yelping when touched/inspected...not acting funny either. Moving and doing all well, but I know they sometimes try to hide illness. I gently blotted with damp paper towel....cannot figure how this happened since no new things added to cage...I saw nothing. But....you know how that goes....might have happened during out of cage play. Is this painful or will it ruin eyes? What do I do now since only a few vets here will even see him? is this type of eye injury common although not ideal? Any type of rub or salve I should use? Looks almost cut or detached in corner of eye "meat"....no? Please advise....thanks!!!! Name:  IMG_7392.jpg
Views: 40
Size:  94.6 KB

Default Re: Eye injury....we think...please advise......

Do you have any antibiotic eye ointment or drops that an eye doctor has prescribed for you or anyone you know? I would see no harm in using it if you have it just to be on the safe side.

I have never seen this before and have no idea how he could have done that.

Thanks for this info! Thankfully, this morning, it seems to be nearly gone....so weird! It seems as if that part of his eye became so swollen it stuck out. Now swelling gone, so went back in???

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    Do you have any antibiotic eye ointment or drops that an eye doctor has prescribed for you or anyone you know? I would see no harm in using it if you have it just to be on the safe side.

I have never seen this before and have no idea how he could have done that.

Glad to hear that.

5. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

strdsk (02-17-2021)

Looks like a self inflicted superficial scratch of the inner corner and yea, it should be gone within 3 days tops. If it starts oozing pus or repeatedly scabs, gets scratched off, and bleeds/becomes fresh again then it would need some mild intervention, likely just a cone.

7. Serious fuzzy thank you's to MotherOfBadgers from:

strdsk (02-19-2021)