Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Found baby squirrel - not eating or drinking - help!!

Default Re: Found baby squirrel - not eating or drinking - help!!

Quote Originally Posted by Scooterzmom View Post
    It was quite cold down in Florida, i think? If so, there is a possibility the baby caught pneumonia that way. Another possibility is that the click doesn't come from the lungs but from his mouth - which indicates contentment. Now... have you checked the thread in the stickies which explains how to take care of babies? If not, I suggest you read that through to familiarize yourself.

So, do you have him inside and warm now? Room warmth is not enough. He needs contact warmth. He'll need a heating pad under half of his container, so as not to chew on the wire(s) - and to stay warm and be able to move off the pad if he feels too hot. You have to make sure he has some kind of blanket to hide in and stay in the dark, in a quiet area, and warm. We don't advise towels since the loops could snatch a nail and make baby twist a limb and hurt himself. Old sweat shirt, t-shirts or fleece will do just fine. Lining his container with white paper towels will allow you to see if he pees, what color it is, and therefore judge better re. his hydration. Baby is properly rehydrated when he gives you a nice big pee, clear or light yellow - not brownish or dark. You can feed him a bit at a time - 20 to 30 minutes apart until then.

IMPORTANT NOTE:
    You have to make sure that the baby is well warmed up before feeding him anything, never feed a cold baby - and even the pedialyte (anything he eats) has to be warmed up too (slightly warmer than your body, around 102F or 103 which is the temp his mom's milk would be at, not below 100F!). You can place the pedialyte in a small container (ex. plastic glass) that you set inside a larger container filled with really hot water to make sure it stays warm throughout the feeding. When the liquid is too cold, the baby will most likely to drink or will not take more than a couple of drops at a time. Keeping him warm while he drinks is the best way to try and feed him. I've used a wool glove but holding him in a small blanket wrapped around him does work well too.

Give him some 30 minutes of total peace and quiet, nice and toasty, and then, try to offer the pedialyte again.

When you feed the baby, never place the baby leaning back. Always hold him vertical or place him flat on his tummy, wrapped in blankie, on his belly. Make sure the syringe shoots upwards, always.
    Attachment 317501

Try all that and let us know how it's going.
    Just wanted to say thank you! I think he might not have been warm enough. That and some peace and quiet seemed to help a LOT.

2. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mhicks0202 from:

Scooterzmom (02-18-2021)

Default Re: Found baby squirrel - not eating or drinking - help!!

In the emergency section is a sticky note with a recording of a baby squirrel crying. The audio runs for quite a long time. You can download it and play it with your phone. It helped me when I was reuniting a mom with a very large baby.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12