Thread: Squirrel walking around in circles and loss vision on one eye

Default Squirrel walking around in circles and loss vision on one eye

I am new to the forum and hoping to get some advice on how to help a squirrel that has recently started walking around in circle. I think she also lost vision on her left eye.

The approx. 7 month old eastern grey squirrel, named Goldie, has been coming regularly to our yard and is very tame with us. We know her mom who brought her little ones around when they were old enough to come down from the tree. I did not see Goldie for a week or so and saw her a few days ago approaching me while walking in circle. She appeared to be very hungry but couldn't seem to see and grasp the nuts I placed on the ground. She kept spinning in a circle, following and walking beside me seemingly needing some help. I finally put some nuts in a container and she was able to grab them and ate a lot. Her left forehead has a bit of lost fur and what appeared to be a small healed scar. She has been coming around daily since for food. I noticed yesterday that she has lost her vision on her left eye. Her left eye lid looked a little scratched. Perhaps her lost vision on one eye is making her walking/climbing in circle?

I read on the forum that her symptoms may be due to head trauma and that Prednisone may help. I called the local wild life rescue center to see if I could get some Prednisone and was informed that neuro damage would unlikely be treatable with medicine. Is there any other options to help the squirrel. Would the neuro damage be recoverable and is it possible she could get her vision back? Or will her condition continue to deteriorate. Will she survive? She seems to be eating ok today. She continues to walk/climb in straight line for a short distance and then spin/walk/climb around in a circle. Appreciate any advice on how I can help little Goldie.

Thanks

2. Serious fuzzy thank you's to paw from:

albre999 (02-10-2021)

Default Re: Squirrel walking around in circles and loss vision on one eye

Thank you for helping this little one.

Keep checking back here. Someone with knowledge on this subject will respond.

Quote Originally Posted by paw View Post
    I am new to the forum and hoping to get some advice on how to help a squirrel that has recently started walking around in circle. I think she also lost vision on her left eye.

The approx. 7 month old eastern grey squirrel, named Goldie, has been coming regularly to our yard and is very tame with us. We know her mom who brought her little ones around when they were old enough to come down from the tree. I did not see Goldie for a week or so and saw her a few days ago approaching me while walking in circle. She appeared to be very hungry but couldn't seem to see and grasp the nuts I placed on the ground. She kept spinning in a circle, following and walking beside me seemingly needing some help. I finally put some nuts in a container and she was able to grab them and ate a lot. Her left forehead has a bit of lost fur and what appeared to be a small healed scar. She has been coming around daily since for food. I noticed yesterday that she has lost her vision on her left eye. Her left eye lid looked a little scratched. Perhaps her lost vision on one eye is making her walking/climbing in circle?

I read on the forum that her symptoms may be due to head trauma and that Prednisone may help. I called the local wild life rescue center to see if I could get some Prednisone and was informed that neuro damage would unlikely be treatable with medicine. Is there any other options to help the squirrel. Would the neuro damage be recoverable and is it possible she could get her vision back? Or will her condition continue to deteriorate. Will she survive? She seems to be eating ok today. She continues to walk/climb in straight line for a short distance and then spin/walk/climb around in a circle. Appreciate any advice on how I can help little Goldie.

Thanks
    Definitely sounds like head trauma resulting in neuro damage. Prednisone could possibly help with some of the symptoms especially
    with reducing swelling and taking pressure off the brain. The pressure is likely what has caused the blindness.
    I recently was taking care of a neuro squirrel with like symptoms, he had shown some improvements under structured care but would
    never be releasable. The problem with neuro's is (most) will develop into having seizures as they continue to grow, seizures can be
    controlled to a point but eventually one will usually take them out.
    Mine came in as a 6-7 week old baby, he lived to be just two weeks under being a year old. He only had one seizure, it took him.
    This baby should not be left out there, it has no chance of survival like this and something is eventually going to get it and cause it more
    suffering then a seizure taking it out. If I were closer I would take this on again and give it the best "normal" life it could have.
    That being said, without being cared for it would be more humane to have him put to sleep then to suffer the inevitable.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

5. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to stepnstone:

Buddy (02-11-2021), Grinderhead (02-11-2021), Mel1959 (02-11-2021)

Thank so much for the advice. I will do my best to look after little Goldie.

7. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to paw:

Buddy (02-11-2021), stepnstone (02-12-2021)

I would capture in a have a heart trap and bring her in. If you can not keep her I can. I have lots of experience with neuros. If you want to care for her inside I can be here for advice.

9. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to squirrelfriend:

Mel1959 (03-01-2021), RockyPops (03-01-2021)