Thread: A squirrel has adopted me

Hybrid View

Default A squirrel has adopted me

So after my dog day this past year I started feeding birds and squirrels. The neighbors probably think I'm crazy because when I see a cat stalking the squirrels I will go outside and chase the cat away lol. Anyhow there's one squirrel that after months always seems to get closer and closer. After a while it takes nuts from my hand. I feed them from my window. Well one day the squirrel tried grabbing for my hand but I was reluctant to let it touch me. The next day this squirrel jumped on me and crawled all over me then jumps on my window sill and looks at me. I let it warm up a minute then coaxed it back out. But after it left there were alot of little pinhead sized reddish brown bugs. I noticed the squirrel has a bald patch. I was wondering if anyone could tell me if they think it's mites or lice and is there some way I can help the poor guy out? And should I be treating myself for something? Any helpful advice would be appreciated 😌

Default Re: A squirrel has adopted me

Those sound like squirrel lice. They don't really mess with people much, they prefer squirrels.

There are two medications that can be used to treat him. Kitten Revolution or 1.87% Ivermectin paste. The past is very inexpensive and can be ordered online or purchased at feed stores for about $5.

Both are VERY toxic if too much is given (place on a nut treat) so please let us know if you get either one and we can give you exact dosing directions. This is very important as the wrong dosing amount can be very dangerous for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Cstna View Post
    So after my dog day this past year I started feeding birds and squirrels. The neighbors probably think I'm crazy because when I see a cat stalking the squirrels I will go outside and chase the cat away lol. Anyhow there's one squirrel that after months always seems to get closer and closer. After a while it takes nuts from my hand. I feed them from my window. Well one day the squirrel tried grabbing for my hand but I was reluctant to let it touch me. The next day this squirrel jumped on me and crawled all over me then jumps on my window sill and looks at me. I let it warm up a minute then coaxed it back out. But after it left there were alot of little pinhead sized reddish brown bugs. I noticed the squirrel has a bald patch. I was wondering if anyone could tell me if they think it's mites or lice and is there some way I can help the poor guy out? And should I be treating myself for something? Any helpful advice would be appreciated 😌
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

3. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to TubeDriver:

island rehabber (02-06-2021), Mel1959 (02-06-2021)

Thanks so much for the response. I ordered the paste. I will definitely let you know when it comes the poor squirrels must be going nuts with them lice.

Great! Just check back after you get it for dosing directions. Too much could actually be lethal so just want to make sure he is dosed correctly.

He will feel so much better after he gets treated!

Quote Originally Posted by Cstna View Post
    Thanks so much for the response. I ordered the paste. I will definitely let you know when it comes the poor squirrels must be going nuts with them lice.
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

Smile Re: A squirrel has adopted me

Such a smart squirrel to have adopted someone as nice as you, to be her personal physician! I swear they know how to ask for help.

7. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to sundoesshine:

Chirps (02-07-2021), TubeDriver (02-06-2021)

I think he was trying to ask for help. Maybe he thought if I give her some she'll see what my problem is lol. I'm still waiting for the medicine to come though I should've just went to the store for it.

9. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Cstna from:

TubeDriver (02-08-2021)