Thread: Are raw organic almonds toxic?

Default Are raw organic almonds toxic?

I have been feeding my squirrel almonds for about 4 years now. I haven't had a single problem.

Well about 2 weeks ago I was reading online because I have hamsters. It said hamsters can't have almonds because they are toxic. But then another article said only in small amounts because of the cyanide.

I read that sweet almonds are okay. That is what we use anyway. Butter almonds are real high in cyanide. I read however sweet almonds do contain small amounts of cyanide.

I started worrying about my pet squirrel. I worry that over time she could end up poisoned by cyanide.

But then I was thinking that maybe squrriels eat other foods that can possibly detox toxins like cyanide out of the body.

I stopped feeding my squirrel almonds just in case.

Can someone elaborate on this please.

2. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Squirt the Stinker from:

Buddy (03-13-2021)

Default Re: Are raw organic almonds toxic?

Can someone confirm on the almonds? If okay, how many can we give?
    Animals are magical....Thank you everyone who tries to help them, save them tirelessly...

Hi! What are "sweet" almonds and "butter" almonds? A search just brought up all kinds of recipes and candied almonds, etc. Your title says "raw organic almonds" so I know you're not giving them almonds covered in junk. Never heard of sweet and butter almonds, but have to guess if they're raw and organic they are fine. Almonds are related to cherries, which do have some cyanide in the bark(?) and the pits. I think all the stone fruits have some cyanide in the seed/pit. Maybe it's too much for something as small as a hamster but not enough to bother a squirrel.

Please, I've never heard of "sweet" and "butter" almonds. What are they? When I buy almonds I'm just looking for them to be plain, unsalted, raw. Have not come across either of those labels. Thanks.

EDIT: Sorry to answer a question with a question, but you've got me wondering.
    "I hope everyone got or gets their Baby Love today"~Shewhosweptforest

https://www.henryspets.com/1-baby-squirrel-care-guide/

5. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Chirps from:

Buddy (03-15-2021)

I've been also giving Buddy 1 raw unsalted organic almond as well. And also, almonds in their shell. They sell it here in Mariano's and he works on them like 5 min or so to open. Inside the shell, there's a regular almond.

That's why I'm curious if Almonds are toxic. I did a quick search but didn't see any red flags.
    Animals are magical....Thank you everyone who tries to help them, save them tirelessly...