Thread: Lethargic squirrel

Default Lethargic squirrel

Our year and a half old squirrel male is lethargic and has loss of appetite. It seems that, at times, his balance is even a little bit off. This has been coming or going over the last couple of weeks.

He has been inside only and fed a diet of Henry's block and fresh veggies with occasional nuts. We did discover when he was younger that he had a bad reaction to preformed hard block (like Mazuri and Oxbow). He developed bad, chronic diarrhea from this block, so we switched to Henry's and have had no problem since. He was both dewormed and treated for coccidia as a young squirrel.

His sister in acting totally fine on the other hand. She is getting the same diet and was treated for the same parasites when younger.

Any thoughts on what might be the issue or things to try - please let me know.

Thanks!

Default Re: Lethargic squirrel

Quote Originally Posted by scruffers View Post
    Our year and a half old squirrel male is lethargic and has loss of appetite. It seems that, at times, his balance is even a little bit off. This has been coming or going over the last couple of weeks.
    He has been inside only and fed a diet of Henry's block and fresh veggies with occasional nuts. We did discover when he was younger that he had a bad reaction to preformed hard block (like Mazuri and Oxbow). He developed bad, chronic diarrhea from this block, so we switched to Henry's and have had no problem since. He was both dewormed and treated for coccidia as a young squirrel.
    His sister in acting totally fine on the other hand. She is getting the same diet and was treated for the same parasites when younger.
    Any thoughts on what might be the issue or things to try - please let me know.
    Thanks!
    The diet sounds alright as long as he actually is eating the block. What type(s) are the nuts you have been feeding?
    The lethargic and balance being off is a little suggestive. If there is any suspicion his calcium levels could be low
    providing some extra calcium could be the answer or at the least eliminate the question. Providing extra calcium
    will not hurt anything if it's not that.
    Does he appear to be fully hydrated? Pull his skin up between shoulders and watch to see if it "tents" or how fast
    it goes down.
    Does his gums have a normal/healthy pink color?

Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

3. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to stepnstone:

CritterMom (02-05-2021), Mel1959 (02-05-2021), scruffers (02-06-2021)

He has a sister - are they housed together? Could she be eating his blocks? His symptoms do seem MBD-ish...

5. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to CritterMom:

Mel1959 (02-05-2021), stepnstone (02-05-2021)

He and his sister are housed separately for feeding

He gets one small treat of nuts daily -- alternates between almonds, pecan (in shell) and peanuts

Veggies that we feed -- more regularly broccoli, cauliflower, Brussel sprouts, mushroom, sweet potato (small piece), occasionally carrots, and sometimes a piece of apple or other fruit like banana

He has only been fed Henry's as the only block for 8 months or so because of his previous digestive issues with Mazuri and Oxbow hard block

What is the best source of calcium? I did more reading and it definitely sounds like MBD. I am just surprised because we thought we were feeding a good, balanced diet

What is the best source of calcium? I did more reading and it definitely sounds like MBD. I am just surprised because we thought we were feeding a good, balanced diet
    Plain calcium carbonate without added vitamin D.

https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...hlight=calcium
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

9. Serious fuzzy thank you's to stepnstone from:

scruffers (02-06-2021)

We have been supplementing calcium. We thought that maybe we saw signs of improvement. But he is back to acting like he doesn’t feel good and we are still supplementing the calcium.

He is licking his paws and feet a lot. He is rubbing his butt on the cage shelves. He seems really itchy. I keep thinking that is seems like an allergic reaction to something. But the only food he is getting is the Henry’s block and now he is refusing to eat that.

Is food intolerance something that happens in squirrels? We saw it with the commercial hard block. If it is food related, what else could we possibly feed him?

We have been supplementing calcium. We thought that maybe we saw signs of improvement. But he is back to acting like he doesn’t feel good and we are still supplementing the calcium.

He is licking his paws and feet a lot. He is rubbing his butt on the cage shelves. He seems really itchy. I keep thinking that is seems like an allergic reaction to something. But the only food he is getting is the Henry’s block and now he is refusing to eat that.

Is food intolerance something that happens in squirrels? We saw it with the commercial hard block. If it is food related, what else could we possibly feed him?
    So when he “rubs his butt” is it more of a squatting and dragging legs behind him kind of with his butt tucked? Or legs pointed forward and pulling himself with his front feet?

Quote Originally Posted by Tuff View Post
    So when he “rubs his butt” is it more of a squatting and dragging legs behind him kind of with his butt tucked? Or legs pointed forward and pulling himself with his front feet?
    It’s more of the latter I think - legs pointed forward and pulling himself with his front feet. He doesn’t do it often. The hand licking is the most prominent.

It’s more of the latter I think - legs pointed forward and pulling himself with his front feet. He doesn’t do it often. The hand licking is the most prominent.
    Could you maybe post a video of what he is doing? The butt dragging?

Quote Originally Posted by Tuff View Post
    Could you maybe post a video of what he is doing? The butt dragging?
    I will do my best when I catch him doing it next. Thank you!

15. Serious fuzzy thank you's to scruffers from:

Tuff (02-25-2021)