Thread: Helen Took a Bad Fall

Hybrid View

Default Helen Took a Bad Fall

Helen took a bad fall this morning as I was preparing breakfast for both of us. She fell 5-6 feet onto a cardboard box and, I think, a horizontal board. I didn’t see the fall, but heard it. Either she caught the edge of the box or hit the board, in part.

In the intermediate aftermath of the fall she appeared dazed or stunned, moving very little. I don’t know whether she hit her head or whether that just reflected shock. She is making no noises of pain, nor do I see any white tears.

Her front left leg is injured. She holds that to her chest and is reluctant to weight it.

I saw no blood or scrapes or gashes.

She showed no interest in food after the injury, taking just one bite.

Initially she pancaked onto of the dresser to rest, then she leapt twice, which I pleaded with her not to do. With each leap her front left side collapsed upon landing. She climbed into bed, under covers, where she has been ever since. Occasionally I hear her scuffing about. She is in my room with me.

She was zipping about with her usual speed and agility prior to the fall this morning.

She once, months ago, sprained/strained a front wrist, but this appears far worse.

I can’t say whether or not there is inflammation. I didn’t get much time to look at her before she climbed into bed.

I plan to place some squirrel handicap ramps through out the room to entice her not to leap.

How should I assess her? What should I be looking for? Is there a way for me to differentiate between a sprain and a break? What are some ballpark figures for healing time in either instance?

What treatment, if any, should I be considering? (I currently have Naproxen Sodium Caplets, 220 mg; Acetaminophen Capsules, 500 mg; Ibuprofen Soft gels, 200 mg. and can purchase other over-the-counter items.)

Thanks.

Default Re: Helen Took a Bad Fall

We don't often recommend pain medications for injuries to legs and such, dulling the pain tends to make them run and jump more than they should on the injured leg. If you give analgesics, she should be placed into a cage that will not allow for big jumps and / or falls.

Minor injuries usually resolve within a few days (7 - 10). Breaks, of course, would take much longer. There is always a concern about MBD when an adult squirrel injures themselves falling only a few feet (5-6 feet is not much of a fall for an adult squirrel... even a fall 2020 adolescent). Of course, injuries are definitely possible from a 6 foot fall if landing on top of things.

3. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Spanky:

Buddy (02-02-2021), Rock Monkey (02-02-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
    We don't often recommend pain medications for injuries to legs and such, dulling the pain tends to make them run and jump more than they should on the injured leg. If you give analgesics, she should be placed into a cage that will not allow for big jumps and / or falls.
    This was my inclination, not to give pain medications in order to minimize movement which would aggravate the injury. The discomfort doesn't seem bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
    Minor injuries usually resolve within a few days (7 - 10). Breaks, of course, would take much longer. There is always a concern about MBD when an adult squirrel injures themselves falling only a few feet (5-6 feet is not much of a fall for an adult squirrel... even a fall 2020 adolescent). Of course, injuries are definitely possible from a 6 foot fall if landing on top of things.
    If she had landed square on a cardboard box I don't think there would have been any problem at all. Based on where I found her, I was in the other room when she fell, I think she landed on a box that has a couple of small boards which support the box flaps in the middle and extend past the perimeter of the box. One of these boards is a broken board with an irregular edge. I think at least one limb hit the board and maybe the others not. Also, the boards make the box not a soft landing, it doesn't spring/give. So I really think the board is the culprit in some fashion. Plus, the boxes are irregular in size so are not stacked edge to edge. So she may have fallen partly in between the boxes.

Big leaps are a regular part of her routine, but this was just something where she slipped, I think, maybe trying to manuever on an edge which is too small. Or maybe a leap to a small, tenuous perch resulted in the fall.

Sending speedy healing vibes for Helen...
    Animals are magical....Thank you everyone who tries to help them, save them tirelessly...

7. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Buddy from:

Rock Monkey (02-02-2021)

Do you have access to a vet? Sounds like an xray might be needed.
    We live in a heaven created by our virtues --- Muktananda

9. Serious fuzzy thank you's to JLM27 from:

Rock Monkey (02-02-2021)

Dr. Dan Johnson, Avian and Exotic Animal Care, Raleigh, NC 919-844-9166. He sees squirrels.

I recently had a wild squirrel that was not using a front leg. I trapped him, put him in the RC but couldn’t get him to the vet for about 10 days....vet was out till then. When I took him in the vet said his humerus was shattered, probably shot but could have been dropped by a hawk. There were external puncture wounds, too. The wrist, elbow and shoulder were all functioning fine. It had already begun to heal and calcify. She recommended metacam for pain and abs for an infection in one of the wounds. I kept him for 7 more days until his abs were done and released him. It was a 2.5 week period from when I caught him and he wasn’t using the leg to when I released him and he was using the leg completely. The leg was slightly shorter than the other leg because of the bad fracture, but he was climbing like a pro.

11. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

Buddy (02-02-2021), Chirps (02-05-2021), Grinderhead (02-02-2021), Rock Monkey (02-02-2021)