Thread: Diet suggestions? Hes healthy but Id want to make it as healthy as possible!

Default Diet suggestions? Hes healthy but Id want to make it as healthy as possible!

Hey everyone,

Keanu has been growing up AMAZING!! He LOVES playing, we’ve gotten over pretty much all his food-aggression, and he’s all-around a very happy good-boy! He’s still a bit clumsy, but much better than he was growing up-jumping from place to place he’ll often have trouble and I’ll occasionally have to “rescue” him from places he’ll get himself into. He’s a bit of a scaredy cat when it comes to what he sees out his window or moving objects in the house (ceiling fan is a NO, but a regular dyson he’ll love to just lay in front of the wind stream) and he now sees himself as my sole protector. Odd thing about him is he will come into the shower with me! Sometimes run under the water too ��*♀️ But he will groom my hair in the shower or just have me hold and love him then go sit at the top and keep watch. He will start barking if there’s any movement outside or if someone tries to come in, he will run to the door in attack-mode. I’ve got myself the best little companion/body guard and I love him to bits, I just want to make sure I’m doing the best I can for him diet-wise!

Here’s his full diet:
    • 1-2 nuts per day (strictly limited to 1-2): roasted peanuts, walnuts, pecans, pistachios, hazelnuts, almonds
    • 2 Henry’s Healthy Blocks a day (he LOVES these now and will not waste a bit...but he will inspect me and the bowl to make sure he has 2 before I leave the room)
    • 2 small pieces of fruit a day (not per each, I’m just listing what he likes): strawberries, pineapple, mango, papaya, star fruit, peach, plum, nectarine
    • Lots of lettuce, watercress, arugula (he LOVES big leafy pieces, but sometimes he’ll throw them around his food bowl like an eating mat)
    • 1 small piece of avocado (half-slice, he will chat with me if he doesn’t get avocado, but I know it’s not /that/ good for him��)
    • A few veggies: broccoli, green beans, carrot
    • 1-3 occasional sugar snap peas
    • 1 Brussels sprout (I omit when he doesn’t eat the day before and resume the next day; he loves these)
    • 1/2 - 1 Moe’s Chip (corn chips like chili’s). These are his favorite, there is nothing more he loves than chips from Moe’s (I do my best to remove what salt I can before feeding but they rarely salt them well at our Moe’s)
    • Occasional dried veggie crisp: sweet potato, okra, tomato (I try not to give him these, but sometimes he’ll go in the bag and take one ��, but not often), cauliflower, potato
    • Occasional oat milk (~15-20mL) thats warmed (he used to steal my chai lattes so I make him his own milk treats on those days, maybe 1-2 days a month but if it’s good for him, I’d love to make it more often).

I have sooo many more but here’s the obligatory photo dump of the last 2 months of his life �� (laser was only a one-time thing, we as humans were curious what he’d think and he actually was very interested in the mechanism and tried to turn it on himself!)
    Name:  C9457506-30FB-4FBA-B6B5-BB3D023A91C4.jpg
Views: 46
Size:  86.5 KBName:  40D12110-11F9-466B-B128-DFFB343A65C6.jpg
Views: 48
Size:  66.0 KBName:  51E655FB-9CF1-44D7-A09D-642CA52CD517.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  73.2 KBName:  A3D66E25-8BB0-414E-A31A-2E81BB1F5604.jpg
Size:  68.2 KBName:  D36E25E5-B716-478D-B925-7CAA6608C8FB.jpg
Size:  71.1 KBName:  8166691F-5A9C-4E78-AB5C-7C9E7B6E708A.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  84.6 KBName:  3AD0D47B-9319-4117-84A5-8D4178791F18.jpg
Views: 46
Size:  117.9 KBName:  98C42AF8-6F83-4918-B869-EB5F40F9872A.jpg
Size:  34.9 KBName:  4F338B58-676E-4535-8093-24C858E9E12E.jpg
Size:  88.2 KB

2. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to SquirrellyQ:

Chirps (02-01-2021), lukaslolamaus (02-01-2021), tnd5 (02-01-2021)

Default Re: Diet suggestions? Hes healthy but Id want to make it as healthy as possible!

What a lucky guy!

I think his diet looks good. There isnt anything that is glaringly wrong to me. I dont even see a problem with the oat milk, others might though.

A couple of other things you could try are full fat yogurt. I give mine vanilla flavored. Also fresh coconut in the shell. It might keep him occupied trying to chew it out. The shell is good for them to chew on anyhow.

Its nice to see how much you enjoy each other.

4. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

SquirrellyQ (02-01-2021)

Default Re: Diet suggestions? Hes healthy but Id want to make it as healthy as possible!

When I die I want to be reincarnated as a squirrel in your care!
    "I hope everyone got or gets their Baby Love today"~Shewhosweptforest

https://www.henryspets.com/1-baby-squirrel-care-guide/

6. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Chirps from:

SquirrellyQ (02-01-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    What a lucky guy!

I think his diet looks good. There isnt anything that is glaringly wrong to me. I dont even see a problem with the oat milk, others might though.

A couple of other things you could try are full fat yogurt. I give mine vanilla flavored. Also fresh coconut in the shell. It might keep him occupied trying to chew it out. The shell is good for them to chew on anyhow.

Its nice to see how much you enjoy each other.
    Thank you Mel!!

He goes nuts for the oat milk, but I definitely might try the yogurt! I'm assuming dairy-free yogurt only? Or is dairy safe in this occasion? I'm personally dairy-free due to allergies, but I wouldn't mind giving him an occasional treat of it! Also, how much coconut would be a good serving? He loves tropical fruits (especially mango) the most so that may go over really well!

I think we're absolutely inseparable . I do have to look into sitters who can take some attacks (or create some gear for them) in the future as it seems I will be having surgeries once Covid clears up and walking may or may not be a thing I can do easily or if I'm in recovery for a long time and he needs feedings. We both need to be healthy to survive

Quote Originally Posted by Chirps View Post
    When I die I want to be reincarnated as a squirrel in your care!
    Thank you so much!

Quote Originally Posted by SquirrellyQ View Post
    Thank you Mel!!

He goes nuts for the oat milk, but I definitely might try the yogurt! I'm assuming dairy-free yogurt only? Or is dairy safe in this occasion? I'm personally dairy-free due to allergies, but I wouldn't mind giving him an occasional treat of it! A
    I have found Cabot's Whole Milk, Plain, Greek Yogurt to be well received. It is available at Walmart. Yogurt provides fat, calcium, and probiotics, all of which are useful for a squirrel. Plain is preferred because some have just way too much sugar and added sugar should be avoided with squirrels, if possible, or at least minimized. I believe that it is the high fat content which makes the above palatable. It even has heavy cream. I give a level teaspoon. She almost seems to prefer it after it has been sitting out a while and skimmed over.

10. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Rock Monkey from:

SquirrellyQ (02-18-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by SquirrellyQ View Post
    Thank you Mel!!

He goes nuts for the oat milk, but I definitely might try the yogurt! I'm assuming dairy-free yogurt only? Or is dairy safe in this occasion? I'm personally dairy-free due to allergies, but I wouldn't mind giving him an occasional treat of it! Also, how much coconut would be a good serving? He loves tropical fruits (especially mango) the most so that may go over really well!

I think we're absolutely inseparable . I do have to look into sitters who can take some attacks (or create some gear for them) in the future as it seems I will be having surgeries once Covid clears up and walking may or may not be a thing I can do easily or if I'm in recovery for a long time and he needs feedings. We both need to be healthy to survive
    No, it’s not dairy free yogurt. I give Liberte’ full fat organic vanilla yogurt. It has some sugar in it, but I don’t think that makes it a deal breaker. My flyer loves it.

A half inch to inch square of coconut is sufficient.

Where in Florida are you located? We have several members throughout the state.

12. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

SquirrellyQ (02-18-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    No, its not dairy free yogurt. I give Liberte full fat organic vanilla yogurt. It has some sugar in it, but I dont think that makes it a deal breaker. My flyer loves it.

A half inch to inch square of coconut is sufficient.

Where in Florida are you located? We have several members throughout the state.
    Thank you so much! I'll have to try yogurt and coconut soon as a little treat 😊 Keanu just gave up on his favorite snack (Moe's chips) so it's definitely a good time to try something new

Central Florida, Orlando-Area

Im about an hour or so southeast of you on the coast, south of Cocoa Beach.