Thread: Storing mushrooms

Default Storing mushrooms

Any advice on the best way to store mushrooms? I only have one flyer, so she only eats a few bites of a slice a day. They get brown quickly in the fridge and then she won't eat them. I feel like I'm wasting so much. I tried freezing them, but it changes the texture and she won't eat them. Picky little thing. lol.

Default Re: Storing mushrooms

Nope, I sorta have the same problem. I’m going to try shiitake freeze dried mushrooms, I think. If my guy will eat them, then that might be a possibility. You can purchase the freeze dried version in oriental market stores.

He likes freeze dried strawberries and banana chips....so maybe.

I haven't seen the freeze dried ones. Thanks for that tip. I'll give that a try.

4. Serious fuzzy thank you's to sraul from:

Mel1959 (01-29-2021)

Dried mushrooms are also a natural source of food for tree squirrels in the wild; for though they are consumed raw they are also consumed dried after squirrels bring them up into the branches of trees to deposit them to preserve and store them up to support their need for protein.

Alkaline mushrooms tend to be bitter. Some of the other kinds of edible alkaline mushrooms have been found to contain compounds that promote negative side effects. Oyster mushrooms for example, were found to contain a compound that was found to be toxic to rodents.

Mushrooms are known to chelate (pull up) radiation out of the soil. The region of Southern Oregon is one of the very lowest areas of radiation near nil in North America, with lower levels than mushrooms available in markets.

"Oregon Mushroom" carries a variety of edible wild mushrooms, harvested by experts. "Yellow Feet" mushrooms, which have a mild earthy flavor, are one of the more affordable kinds of edible mushrooms available from, "Oregon Mushroom".

https://www.oregonmushrooms.com/c-10...mushrooms.aspx

6. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Diggie's Friend:

Mel1959 (01-30-2021), sraul (01-30-2021)

Has anyone tried using a dehydrator? And if so, what would be the best way to store them after dehydrating??

I personally have dehydrated several things and the time involved was a deal breaker for me. You could try it, but you have to be sure you have removed all the moisture otherwise they will mold and that could be very toxic if ingested. The reason food is dehydrated is so it can be stored without refrigeration. You would just store them in a bag in a pantry.

It isn't commonly known, but can be an issue, as mushrooms with gills contain worms and worm eggs; even canned ones have been found to have them. The source from Oregon Mushroom dries and grinds mushrooms into powder, is at least 6 mo. old prior to selling it I was told. Since the gills also commonly are found to carry worm eggs that are viable up to about 120 days, Not feeding the dried whole, or dried-ground mushroom powder till after they reach 120 days following being dried and or ground to prevent the ingestion of worm eggs.

10. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Diggie's Friend from:

WwwLllSss (11-21-2023)