Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Squirrel nesting on my window sill

Default Re: Squirrel nesting on my window sill

Quote Originally Posted by island rehabber View Post
    victorengel, I truly hate to be a buzzkill but I gotta bring this up; would never forgive myself if I didn't:

Be very, very careful with that male squirrel hanging around. "Fathering" squirrels don't exist; squirrels are a mammal where the mom does everything and dad does not participate or help. EXCEPT: like in other mammal species, some dominant males will actually kill a female's babies in order to be able to impregnate her with HIS sperm. Yep, nasty it is, and truthful as well. That bruiser may be hanging around for just this reason and I pray he doesn't get a chance.

Just keep an eye on him.
    Witnessed this several times - males killing females babies. One male killed 2 babies right in front of me, he just kept going in the nest pulling babies out and killing them one at a time. Even with me trying to chase him away, he would not leave as he was not afraid of me. He also dropped 2 more babies to the ground, one was alive and in good shape the other was barely alive, bloodied up and dying in my hands from the males attack. I agree with IR - just keep an eye on him.

2. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to MyBushyTail:

Chirps (01-30-2021), TubeDriver (02-10-2021)

victorengel, I truly hate to be a buzzkill but I gotta bring this up; would never forgive myself if I didn't:

Be very, very careful with that male squirrel hanging around. "Fathering" squirrels don't exist; squirrels are a mammal where the mom does everything and dad does not participate or help. EXCEPT: like in other mammal species, some dominant males will actually kill a female's babies in order to be able to impregnate her with HIS sperm. Yep, nasty it is, and truthful as well. That bruiser may be hanging around for just this reason and I pray he doesn't get a chance.

Just keep an eye on him.
    Well, I have no control about that. She seems to do pretty well defending the nest. I watched them when they mated. She was very accommodating to him. However, when she's not receptive, she gives him what-for. This morning (or maybe it was yesterday morning), he ventured too close to the nest, and she chased him off with vigor. Then she came back to the nest and snuggled with the baby some more.

Day 6 apparently was uploaded successfully this morning from my iPad. It seemed unsuccessful, but when I tried uploading it again just now, it was already there. The sex is clearest in the day 6 video, I think. Day 7 is just uploaded and consists mostly of nest maintenance.

Thanks for explaining how to access the other videos. This is the first time I've linked videos together on youtube.

P.S. Comments are not allowed on the youtube videos because I'm making them for kids, and youtube doesn't allow comments on those videos.

Just keep an eye on him.
    Hmmm - I thought I already replied to this, but I don't see it. The mother is very good at defending her nest. She will chase off any other squirrels who venture too close. I don't think there's anything I can do other than watch.

Edit: Oh, I see. The comment started a second page.

if you are sure he is the original baby daddy, he might be ok. ��
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

if you are sure he is the original baby daddy, he might be ok. ��
    ... and if I'm not sure, there's nothing I can do (or should do, in my opinion).

Quote Originally Posted by victorengel View Post
    ... and if I'm not sure, there's nothing I can do (or should do, in my opinion).
    I think I’d have to disagree. I certainly wouldn’t be able to sit by with a vantage view....and access.....and watch a male squirrel kill an innocent baby. eek. I’d intervene in a heartbeat!

9. 6 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

Buddy (02-09-2021), Chirps (02-02-2021), MyBushyTail (02-02-2021), Rock Monkey (02-03-2021), Scooterzmom (02-02-2021), TubeDriver (02-10-2021)

Name:  squirrelnest.jpg
Views: 179
Size:  85.6 KB[QUOTE=sundoesshine;1327767]
    Quote Originally Posted by Chirps View Post
    Wow, that's really special. I wonder if she was raised by someone, or just figured she'd take a shot at nesting close to the human because maybe people have fed her or whatever and she's had only good experiences with people, and you're a predator deterrent./QUOTE]

It's so interesting she put No nest material along the glass, there has to be some level of comfort there, congrats on the instant family!
    This update is especially for you.

[QUOTE=victorengel;1328164]Name:  squirrelnest.jpg
Views: 179
Size:  85.6 KB
    Quote Originally Posted by sundoesshine View Post

This update is especially for you.

Default The baby has opened his eyes!

13. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to victorengel:

Buddy (02-19-2021), CritterMom (02-19-2021), Mel1959 (02-19-2021)

Awe da baby Are those plastic gloves in her nest ugg from people who can not be bothered to throw them in a trash can...sad!
    Thank you for sharing this baby love it!

15. Serious fuzzy thank you's to BCChins from:

Buddy (02-20-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by BCChins View Post
    Awe da baby Are those plastic gloves in her nest ugg from people who can not be bothered to throw them in a trash can...sad!
    Thank you for sharing this baby love it!
    Not plastic gloves. I think they're either plastic vegetable bags or possibly some frost cloth from covering my plants for the cold. This neighborhood is pretty clean. Any plastic lying around probably accidentally fell out of a garbage bin while being emptied into the truck. Actually, come to think of it, a couple houses north of me is a house under renovation. They have one of those large dumpsters there. There was some plastic that blew out of that dumpster. I gathered up what I saw (some tangled in my roses) and threw them away, then contacted the people doing the renovation, telling them of the issue. They responded by making sure the plastic was better secured in the dumpster.

17. Serious fuzzy thank you's to victorengel from:

BCChins (02-21-2021)

Finally saw video that clearly identifies him as male. What a cutie!
    "I hope everyone got or gets their Baby Love today"~Shewhosweptforest

https://www.henryspets.com/1-baby-squirrel-care-guide/

19. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Chirps from:

sundoesshine (02-26-2021)

Finally saw video that clearly identifies him as male. What a cutie!
    Clearest video yet - day 33.

21. Serious fuzzy thank you's to victorengel from:

Buddy (02-26-2021)

Awww how adorable! . He must have been nursing at the beginning of the video. He looks very healthy so mom is doing a really good job.

Quote Originally Posted by victorengel View Post
    Clearest video yet - day 33.

Yep, that's the one. I subscribed to your channel so the videos are USUALLY in my YT feed.

Heh, he looks like a gerbil now with that smooth haired tail.
    "I hope everyone got or gets their Baby Love today"~Shewhosweptforest

https://www.henryspets.com/1-baby-squirrel-care-guide/

Yep, that's the one. I subscribed to your channel so the videos are USUALLY in my YT feed.

Heh, he looks like a gerbil now with that smooth haired tail.
    Name:  VSE59684.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  178.9 KB

First photo of the baby taken from outside.

Name:  VSE59685.jpg
Views: 221
Size:  147.8 KB

Here's a wider shot showing the nest. The plants covering the window sill are brown from the February freeze.

26. 5 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to victorengel:

Buddy (03-16-2021), Chirps (03-16-2021), Mel1959 (03-16-2021), sundoesshine (03-16-2021), TubeDriver (03-16-2021)

Animals are magical....Thank you everyone who tries to help them, save them tirelessly...

28. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Buddy from:

sundoesshine (03-16-2021)

Earlier in the thread someone commented about watching out for male squirrels. Today a male was at the other window marking the area with his facial scent glands. I saw him move toward the window with the nest, so I moved to that room and watched to see what would happen. When he got within 2-3 feet of the nest, the baby squirrel (the mother is off somewhere), who had been poking out the back door of the nest, scared off the adult male. He did this by making some quick motion which made a noise. He immediately dashed into the nest and proceeded to make the alarm noise that squirrels make - not the barking noise, but the other one. After a minute or two, he poked his head out the back door again.

Re: back door - there is a main entrance to the nest, which I call the front door. On the opposite end is a much smaller entrance, which I call the back door. The back door wasn't ever used until after the baby opened his eyes and was moving around. The first time I saw the back door being used was when another squirrel approached too close, and she burst out the back door at full speed to chase the squirrel away.

30. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to victorengel:

Buddy (04-17-2021), Chirps (03-16-2021), sundoesshine (03-16-2021)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast